Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 05:02PM

A gullible friend in CA has gotten involved with an MLM I never heard of before, "Nerium AD (Age-Defying) Treatment". It is clearly an MLM, and the main ingredient of this skin lotion is Nerium Oleander from the Oleander plant, which is very poisonous.I doubt that it actually contains enough to hurt anyone, but also doubt it does what was claimed, including remove skin cancers!

I tried to find any criticism on google, but the MLM has managed to fill google with their own spam promoting the company and the stuff, which I did get from their web page costs $132. per bottle, after your "free" sample. My friend is now a "brand partner" and sent an email to us urging us to try it.

Does anyone know anything about this stuff or the MLM pushing it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 05:09PM

You're right that they've been extremely successful flooding the internet with "impartial" reviews of the company. Oddly enough, most of these independent reviews are rearrangements of the same ad copy, meaning they're bogus.

Ask yourself, would a legitimate company need to produce a flood of fake reviews for its products?

Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 09:32AM

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: November 14, 2012 11:22PM

Lol! Boom.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 05:10PM

Posted by: brody ( )
Date: November 14, 2012 08:50PM

I have been using this stuff for two months. its done everything the sales guy said it would. its not poisonous,its awesome. they use an extract from the plant, besides Im not dead! I love it. bottom line don't knock it til you tried.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 15, 2012 12:08AM

Bottom line -- when you pay someone for the privilege of working for them you're too stupid to reproduce. Go get sterilized.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 05:13PM

If it really cured skin cancer they wouldn't need her to sell it.

Posted by: PeacePrincess ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 05:20PM

If Nerium bombarded Google, maybe you can try other search-engines, such as Yahoo, Lycos (does that one even exist anymore?), or AOL, or other channels, such as the Better Business Beaurel (Okay, I have NO clue how to spell that word, and it looks like the computer's spell-check doesn't know how either!)

BTW: Just the fact that Nerium feels like they have to bombard Google with their propaganda is mighty suspicious. Maybe you can try to point that out to your friend.

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 05:21PM

Try bing
also search "Neriumad (Age-Defying) Treatment scam"
stuff starts cropping up

Date: May 03, 2012 06:15PM

Thanks so much everyone! Yes, I will tell her it is a scam and not buying any. I guess I am naive too, never saw anything like this google bombing when trying to investigate a company I had questions about. I was looking up something concrete to back up the fact that it is a scam for my gullible friend, before she gets in any deeper than the hundred bucks she already spent to be a "brand partner". She does not have money to waste. She is not a Mo but might as well be, she believes all sorts of questionable stuff if a "really nice person" presents it to her. She also has the worst taste in men of anyone I know, and she is beautiful. It is really sad.

Posted by: tapflorida ( )
Date: August 30, 2012 08:45PM

Talk about bogus reviews. You have not researched Nerium. It is a legitimate company that has an honest product. You guys are just talking about stuff you know nothing about. Do your own reasearch on Nerium. It works. The people are real. The results are real. I am one who uses it and it works. Ask me. [e-mail address removed]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2013 06:26PM by Administrator.

Posted by: Biff ( )
Date: August 30, 2012 08:50PM

LOL

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: August 30, 2012 09:16PM

Gee, I wonder how you happened on this board, of all places?

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: August 30, 2012 10:15PM

Crazy, how you use it AND sell it?!?

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 09:27PM

Yeah, let's not fret about the cardiac glycosides that will kill you...

You know, when you're not looking and your child scoops up a handful of the stuff and eats it. Then dies from digitalis poisoning - very hard to treat and not a really great way to die, either; particularly from ingesting this stuff...

I, especially, don't have a lot of faith in a toxin who's clinical efficacy was tested 1500 years ago.

Don't let your horse near it, it will kill them rather quickly if they ingest it...

Posted by: Heather1234 ( )
Date: October 04, 2012 01:41PM

Hello there.. not sure this will help but I am actually a brand partner for nerium and use the product.. It actually really works and i Have been with the company for 3 weeks and have received 3 paychecks and over 700 dollars in free product.. People should get their facts straight.. Mrktng is NOT for everyone.. if you enjoy talking and selling a product that works you will do very well.. thats really all i can say as that has been my experience.. if you cant talk to people and you dont see a change in your own skin when using the product dont do it.. I seen a change in my own skin in 3 days!! so i just pretty much share my experience and my customers...

Posted by: doh ( )
Date: October 30, 2012 07:44AM

Are you really that stupid? Nerium spammer

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 06:20PM

Exmormon Brian Dunning explains MLMs in one of his excellent Skeptoid podcasts: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4176

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 06:28PM

Beautypedia just posted a review of this product 5/1/2012. Bottom line: not worth the price tag of $132 dollars.

P.S. My sister has been involved in many MLMs over the years, and even when the product she sold was very good, she has never been able to established a stable, steady income stream from any of these businesses - and she is a very hard worker.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: May 03, 2012 07:46PM

True believers will not be convinced by anything you tell them, no matter how factual. Their upline has already convinced them that people like you are "dream stealers".
They have to learn for themselves. Just ask them questions about the "business" that will make them think.

Date: May 04, 2012 06:58AM

You ex Mos are the best!:-) I copied the Beautypedia site to send to my friend, and also the falseprophets one about MLMs in general. I tried to be sympathetic, that anyone can get sucked into this kind of thing if a trusted friend is the one urging you to buy it.

The review on Beautypedia did mention the very toxic ingredient nerium oleander (every part of that plant is toxic) and questioned the wisdom of putting it on your skin in any amount. The other ingredients are the same stuff in any much cheaper drugstore skin lotion.

Thanks again for helping with this.

Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 09:30AM

I don't do MLM(s) period.

Posted by: skinny ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 01:12PM

Here's an honest review of the product. Just to let anyone know who wants to try this Nerium AD, I did for 6 weeks, and my skin did not improve but actually got worse. I used it for hyperpigmentation. It did NOT help the hyperpigmentation but instead I got horrible acne on top of the hyperpigmentation. They encourage you to stick with it, that your skin needs to detox before it gets better, to try 90 days, past the time to get a refund, but my skin couldn't take 90 days of this. (As an aside, I've never had to go through 6 weeks of detox when using a new product) Oh, and no improvement in fine lines or wrinkles either. I've been trying to cancel the auto delivery ever since, and they make it extremely difficult to do so. I would not recommend getting involved with this product or this company.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 10:33AM

Some companies don't care to have women's safety in mind. One only needs to look at what happened to older geisha's skin after years of using a lead based makeup. Others, like a Neutrogena Fading Mask, had mushrooms as an ingredient. If could cause a severe reaction if you are allergic to mushrooms!

I've dealt with skin problems my entire life- from ezcema to painful cystic acne. I constantly read up on new products. What works for one person (like Proactive) will never work for me. I also get very annoyed when well-meaning people who only get surface pimples here and there give me skin care advice. I use Mary Kay, simply because the products are decent for my skin, but even afew of the MK products have made problems for my skin, so i quit using them,. A lot of good skin DOES have to do with hereditary and environmental factors. My sister is in her 40's and still gets pimples.

One thing that might help you with hyperpigmentation is Mederma. It's OTC, where they keep the Neosporin. The main ingredient that fades the spots is onion juice extract. That's an old Cheyenne remedy for fading hyperpigmentation, no joke.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 15, 2012 12:13AM

Other than not smoking and drinking lots of water and avoiding too much sun (actually, I get a rash from the sun) I can't claim I do anything for this skin. I was just born with good skin and don't do anything that would counteract my good genetic luck.

(Even the sun-rash I get is pretty lucky since it kept me out of the sun before skin cancer became so publicised.)

So you're right -- lots and lots of individual factors go into one's skin composition and reactions and anyone who claims they have a product that will help anyone and everyone is scamming you. Even pure water is harmful to a few poor souls.

Posted by: WishIfoundthissooner ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 01:34AM

Thank you IT person...such a shame the company has to block people from stating the truth. My friend got me to try and I wanted to see the reviews 1st, but like everyone else I could not find anything.
I did try it...very sticky, had a little reaction, when I went to wash it off in the morning it felt like it was clogging my pores...that was all within 3 days.
I just hope it isn't a strange product, that once you start using it you have to keep using it or you will experience problems...

Posted by: davesnothere ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 07:43AM

MLM’s are the modern day equivalent of snake oil peddlers. Except in today’s world instead of selling directly to the beguiling public they recruit gullible “resellers” with dreams and promises of financial independence.

Posted by: Dances with Cureloms ( )
Date: May 10, 2012 09:59AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 30, 2012 08:58PM

From long experience using skin creams and remedies: Most of the truly effective products will be by prescription only (i.e. Retin A or Benzoyl Peroxide combined with an antibiotic.) By definition, anything that penetrates the skin *must* be prescription. Anything nonprescription that is effective does not need to be all that expensive. For instance, I like AHA's and Retinol products to exfoliate skin, and rosewater to soften it.

My favorite skin care book is, "The Skin Type Solution" by dermatologist Leslie Baumann, M.D. I would trust anything Dr. Baumann has to say about an ingredient or product.

Posted by: Just browsing ( )
Date: August 30, 2012 09:31PM

Most people have a circle of influence of 250 people !! That is usually how many turn up at a funeral, or the size of a typical LDS WARD .(((Don't you think the LDS Church worked that out, grow to 250 then split the ward))) Then get each Ward to seek ""NEW MEMBERS""-- **MLM Marketing at its most efficient.**

BUT in MLM's to make any real money you need a multiple of 6 layers of 6 = that does not equal 36 -(Level 1 ==36 then x 6 x 6 x 6 x 6 x 6 = BUT AN AMAZING ** 7776** So like the best way to make money is to BUY A DOWNLINE --

So the best way to make huge amounts of money is to start a religion. OOOPS I forgot --SOMEONE BEAT YOU TO IT !!!

JB

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: August 30, 2012 10:12PM

Nerium is highly toxic.

When I was a teen, two boys in our neighborhod used Oleander branches to roast marshmallows on, and it killed them.

Of course the bushes are very pretty and they grow all over the place here in California, including in our own yard.

But I would not even cut them without wearing gloves because skin can absorb poison.

Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: October 30, 2012 09:18AM

A giraffe died at the Tucson zoo after accidentally being fed oleander. Sad.

Posted by: pamela ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 12:00PM

Do better research. The product does not claim to cure skin cancer. have you tried looking at nerium biotechnology company. i use it and am a brand partner also. there are no bogus claims and bombarding on the internet. this comment sounds very naive.

Has anyone ever heard of Botox?..........hmmm it is created from a toxin called botulism. interesting............

Posted by: fabfeline4me ( )
Date: September 18, 2012 01:19PM

Due to the comment about Botox, I really need to say something...

FIRST-Plenty of people have been harmed by Botox. Read up...they have. Also, one of the intended uses for Botox is in children with certain neuromuscular disorders,which it works wonderfully,does not mean I would have it injected into my face.

I have been in the medical field 15-years,in my position, I have had the unique position to listen and document/edit literally thousands and thousands of medical-legal documents. Two points here, doctors absolutely hate these products,as more than often, they do not help, and in ALOT of cases, cause more harm,as patient's will use these products sometimes INSTEAD of prescribed treatment..anyone else see a problem with this? Point two, if there was a "cure" for say, skin cancer, do you not think that it would be used, oh let's say Cancer Centers of America or Mayo Clinic?

Just an opinion. I think if you have non-medical issues with your skin,like aging..go to Sephora or one of the cosmetic counters at Dillards or Macy's. They will offer you similar cost products, but products that actually work and are NOT filled with toxic substances. These fly by night products are just no good.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 04, 2012 01:47PM

Anyways, if you want a no-nonsense, concise guide on beauty products, I recommend reading Paula Begoun's "Don't Go to the Cosmetic Counter Without Me!" or check out her free site Beautypedia.com. You would be amazed at how many products are overpriced and ineffective, while some inexpensive ones are fantastic! She even had her own products reviewed by a 3rd party...I'm going to order a sample kit to see how they work. She also reviews hair care products.

Posted by: victoria ( )
Date: October 30, 2012 08:58AM

I think I got this article from a different thread on this site:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/27/opinion/for-romney-ties-that-bind.html?smid=fb-share

It explains how the MLMs can make false claims and still be protected. Greed and deregulation...scary consequences.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 30, 2012 09:06AM

Has your friend prayed about it? If so, what did the Holy But Multi Layered Spirit have to say about it to her?

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: October 30, 2012 10:45AM

Someone we know sells Body by Vi and when I try to Google Body by Vi scam, I get the same type of thing, just a bunch of testimonials. I have asked them several times for scientific research data on the product, but of course I won't get it because none exists.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 30, 2012 10:56AM

If it "claims" (not suggests) that it "removes skin cancer", that stmnt has to be scientifically verified, not just the subject of amatuer reviews, comments.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.