Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: turnonthelights ( )
Date: April 30, 2012 02:45AM

I transferred to BYUH after two hellish years at BYU Idaho. I was tired of the Utah/Idaho Mormon BS and needed a change. Wow was that a culture shock. I had never met so many gay people at once. It was wonderful and shocking! My first week I met my first gay friend who happened to be an RM. He was going up to Honolulu on the weekends and going the dirty at gay bars with lots of guys. The second week I found out my good friend was lesbian and doing the dirty with her dorm roomie 24/7. I was invited to a party with about 100 in attendence and soon realized it was a weed/booz party. Everyone was high but me. I was trying to be good. My RM best girlfriend was getting high at the time and hooking up with random locals. She was later diagnosed with Bi-polar. I was also shocked at the co-ed living arrangements that nobody seemed to care about. I lived in a huge house with about 30 girls and 5 guys. The boys were taking advantage of the free rent and bunking with us. We loved having them around. I don't think there was a night where boys weren't staying over. It was just expected. We had plenty of Tahitian cross dressers on campus as well. They would dress up in girls clothes and wear makeup and earrings. They made it pretty clear that they were gay but the school didn't stop them from dressing that way because they didn't want to offend their culture. When I met my future husband I basically moved in with him. It was not unusual since that is what alot of my friends were doing with their boyfriends/girlfriends. That school was a serious joke. Many of the teachers were so laid back and lazy that they didn't even show up to class. School was an easy A and it was pretty hard to get kicked out. Life was just a party and nobody took anything too seriously. I don't think that the other BYU schools or church for that matter know about all the craziness that goes down at that school. I honestly loved every minute of it! Some of the teachers were even hooking it up with the foreign asian students. The dean of religion was caught getting a BJ from one of his students on a table in his classroom by the janitor. He was also a stake president at the time and father to one of my good friends. He ended up leaving his wife and marrying her. My music teacher was living with another woman who we all assumed was her girlfriend. She didn't last long at the school. So many stories so little time. What a great Fu**ked up school! All of us had a ton of problems and were there to heal and get away from the LDS culture. I always felt like a good amount of students were on their way out of the church but attended because their parents insisted on a church school. Owen Wilson came over to do one of his movies and started dating my friend's girlfriend. He actually broke them up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 02:52AM by turnonthelights.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: April 30, 2012 02:51AM

Hmmm...I used to live on Oahu for many years, got married in Laie, and know plenty of people who got kicked out of BYUH. Yes, it is more laid back than the mainland BYU schools but I think 95% of what you said is very embellished. No offense.

Posted by: movingon29 ( )
Date: April 30, 2012 04:06AM

Yeah. I was there from 2004-2008 when I graduated. I was in the bishopric of a student ward and participated in a few church courts. Those who came in for thise were mostly engaging in sex or oral sex, in which case the most common action was disfellowshipment. However, the experiences in the original post seem a bit on the fringe. Things are definitely more laid back but guys got busted all the time for little things like more than two days worth do facial hair.

Date: April 30, 2012 02:57AM

You didn't go to school there so probably weren't aware of what went on. I knew 2 kids that got kicked out for living and having sex with each other. They were the unlucky ones who were tattled on by a roomate. Didn't happen too often though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 03:12AM by turnonthelights.

Posted by: Flyer ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 09:39AM

The question is around when were you there? This decade, last, before then???

Posted by: yeahrightguys ( )
Date: February 16, 2013 04:26AM

I'm sorry but this is total garbage. This is like the stories on the misison where there are, "the quorum of the 12 apostates." What was your major? English? Communications? This is definitely not a school you can skate at. Also, all the crazy stories you shared are completely unverifiable. Totally made up. Have a nice life

Posted by: Roland3 ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 11:17PM

Hello there ! I've been to Laie many times and I've never heard that those incident can happen any time. How is it possible that anything of the ordinary can go that far ?

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: April 30, 2012 03:04AM

I was stationed on Oahu. Several military friends had dated BYUH girls and were surprised when I told them that mormons don't have sex before marriage. They had slept with them all the time. I slept on the couch of some girls going to school there and there was a non-BYUH guy living with them. Even sleeping on the couch would have been a HUGE no no anywhere else.

The dress code is highly relaxed there. Slippers (flip flops) are just about the only "shoe" worn. Shorts are ok for boys and girls.

I went to a singles ward in So. California for awhile. It was going on there too. Sex was not unusual, I was just surprised that people did it and then still came to church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 03:05AM by bingoe4.

Posted by: plumeria1977 ( )
Date: April 30, 2012 04:32AM

What year(s) did you attend? Who was the Stake President? SP of a student ward, married ward or local ward?

Posted by: PeacePrincess ( )
Date: April 30, 2012 10:45AM

"I don't think that the other BYU schools or church for that matter know about all the craziness that goes down at that school."

Well, if there are indeed gossipy Mormon lurkers that read this board, the church certainly knows about it now!

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: April 30, 2012 02:15PM

The OP has just brought the Danite Jihad down on BYUH.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: April 30, 2012 06:17PM

No worries, that started a LONG time ago!

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: April 30, 2012 04:35PM

Or, the OP has just increased the rate of next fall's transfer students from BYU in Utah and Idaho by about 500%....

Date: April 30, 2012 05:14PM

2002-2004. Not sure who he was Stake President over but dean over BYUH. My husband is from Laie Hawaii and this guys son was my husbands highschool friend and roomate. Later a friend of mine as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 05:21PM by turnonthelights.

Date: April 30, 2012 06:24PM

A guy named Allred was religion faculty in the '90's, and divorced his wife to marry a student.

Another guy, art teacher Fisher, was dumped by his wife with great accusations, then married a student and had a bunch more kids. Later got dumped by her and married an Asian woman, for more kids. A serial polyg for sure.

Another guy, most popular teacher, was fired by the Jihad for being gay.

I'll always remember the black BB players in the dorm, non-Mos, who were quite open and vocal in public about their antics in Honolulu.

Laie is fucked up, big time. Still, it's full of the most self righteous and judgmental Mos this side of Provo.

Date: April 30, 2012 08:33PM

hello.... did you know the Winsteads? He was a bishop of the "Point" ward.

Date: May 01, 2012 04:43AM

No, didn't know them.

Posted by: ReesDavid ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 05:01AM

you guys need to move to NewYork City... billions of people who have less stories to gossip like in BYUH...

Posted by: Free Agent ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 08:04PM

People are free to choose for themselves how they will lead their lives. The Honor Code is what BYUH and other church institutions live by. If individuals commit to living it, they will. Many just sign a piece of paper and expect it to work miracles. The church is true, the people are not perfect. You will find ALL kinds of people with varied levels or no faith even if they give themselves a label to receive a discounted tuition.
Still many others choose to take advantage of receiving a LDS based education and manage to graduate with their testimonies in tact.
Aloha.

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 08:43PM

And where you learned to spell.

Maybe you were too busy keeping your testimony in tact, to worry about spelling and grammar and reading comprehension.

Here's one for you: Have you ever thought about incorporating SYFPH into your life? Try it sometime. The results might impress...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 08:45PM by schlock.

Posted by: chimes ( )
Date: April 30, 2012 10:53PM

the President of BYU H was Eric B. Shumway. Shame on Shumway for not being on top of all the shananigans.

Posted by: bishop Rick ( )
Date: April 30, 2012 11:50PM

Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: April 30, 2012 11:26PM

and I returned to HI as a missionary.

There were all sorts of scandals and rumors.

A good time was had by all.

Posted by: romy ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 12:53AM

I am officially sad I didn't know this stuff in the early 2000s and I would have totally considered byuH...only for the H part but I'm sure it would have been a great time.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 08:42AM

Damn...wish I'd known too....would have much rather flunked out there than at Ricks....

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 12:47PM

I had some friends that were running for school pres and v. pres one year over at BYU-HI and they were partying it up and set to win the election. Finally got called in and asked to withdrawl from the election or they would be expelled by the School Dean. They were having parties and selling weed at school as part of their election campaign and everyone wanted to vote for them because they were the local party guys.

One of them finally got busted for growing weed on the roof of one of the buildings on campus in some pots he had stashed up there and had access to through his janitoral job as a student.

Totally party school (as far as a comparision to Ut or ID.)

Posted by: Surfer.chic ( )
Date: May 01, 2012 09:43PM

I was there from 2003-2005 and I'm not aware of any of this. Well, other than the gay Tahitian boys...

Posted by: unknown_boyHItime ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 04:54AM

Honestly its hard to keep track of things like this especially in a small town such as Laie. I knew a lot of things that happened before and after. Every has a place where its corrupt and people do things but sometimes its well hidden under the radar. I actually go to these parties but never partake of these things. I got for the good times. Its mainly kids from the mainland that come down to hawaii to party it up like some kind of vacation but it doesnt help that some of locals provoke it. It can happen anywhere. As for me i dont cafe much for it.

Posted by: Grits ( )
Date: August 21, 2012 09:06AM

My friend's daughter was kicked out of BYU Hawaii. During her summer break, she was home and had oral sex with a missionary. He confessed to the bishop here, that bishop contacted the daughter's bishop in Hawaii. When she returned in the fall,she was called in to a meeting and dismissed. Absurd - didn't even happen on campus or while she was attending classes.

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 06:43AM

I suspect it was because he was a missionary, Grits. Even I knew students there having sex. I can't confirm all of Lights story, but pre-marital sex seemed pretty loose to me.

Posted by: FoReal? ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 10:35PM

I attended byuh in the 90s and I was amongst the party crowd, but the majority of those we partied with were non-member polynesians. There were quite a few back in those days that were allowed to attend school, so long as they worked at PCC. partied with lots of cook islanders, some fijians, some maori, local jack mormons, etc. Most would head into town to party, but a lot of times we'd just party locally...kahuku golf course, anyone?
Some of the mainland kids would party but, by far, the majority of the school were your run of the mill mormons. Mostly RMs, very straightlaced. They used to hold "soda parties", which I thought was code for booze party...sadly, no, soda was the only thing on offer. It was pathetic, they even played drinking games...with soda. Lame.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.