Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 09:20AM

It certainly will not be a Temple wedding. :-)

She is a beautiful young woman who is marrying someone she has known for over 3 years. The marriage will be in a small non-denominational church in downtown Chattanooga on Saturday with a nice reception at a hall in a renovated part of downtown. My little jazz band (12 pc.) will play for an hour then there will be a DJ for a few hours at the reception. There will be loud laughter and plenty of beer and wine.

I was really touched this week as the majority of the people from the band said they would play for free as it was my daughter. I am still planning on paying them. The drummer, who just had a baby yesterday, said there is no way she is going to miss playing on Saturday. I mentioned this to my daughter and she started to cry. Another band member changed his schedule and is driving up from Alabama to play. He teaches music in Alabama and cancelled another gig he had for Saturday (2 months ago) to attend this event instead. A couple of the members offered on their own to arrive early to play some quiet background music for the guests as the arrive from the wedding to the reception. I did not have friends like that in Mormonism.

My mom, age 82, flew here yesterday. My son, who has served in Afghanistan and Iraq and has spent 5 1/2 years in the Mid-East and Africa will arrive this afternoon. This will be the first time in years that my little family will be all together.

There will be nearly 200 people at the wedding. It has been stressful with all the details for my wife and daughter and her future in-laws helping, but will be a memorable event. I could not imagine facing the dreadfulness of a temple ceremony versus what will be a fun and joyous weekend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2012 09:21AM by Eric K.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: michael ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 09:28AM

Mazal tov to your daughter. May you both know nothing but happiness and joy until 120 years.

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 09:31AM

What a wonderful story to read. Our congratulations to you and your whole family! I'm so glad it's a non-LDS event and that true friends are coming through for you in a big way. Happiness to all!!

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 09:39AM

I hope it's a magnificently joyous celebration for you all!

Posted by: Mindlight ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 09:40AM

Absolutely wonderful!!

Oh the freedom!

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 09:40AM

It sounds like it will be a lovely affair! Congratulations to all of you!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 09:42AM

It sounds great. Congratulations on all coming together.

Posted by: raisedbyjackmormons ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 09:49AM

Lots of loud laughter, beer and wine. That says it all. Congratulations to all!

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 09:50AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2012 09:50AM by quinlansolo.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 10:04AM

Have a wonderful mormon-free weekend :)

TG

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 10:08AM

Sounds like the way a marriage should be. Party on,,always be happy and loving,,,

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 10:09AM

Enjoy every second. A wonderful event with loving friends and family. this is exactly how it SHOULD be.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 10:16AM

Congratulations! Have a fun, joyous day.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 10:17AM

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 10:23AM

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 10:27AM

and NO ONE having to wait in a separate room while the happy couple are married.

Oh and the good music too!

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 10:31AM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 10:32AM

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 10:38AM

I love happy stories! Congratulations!

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 10:55AM

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 11:03AM

you're quite the public servant.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 11:58AM

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 11:59AM

Lovely, lovely, lovely!

Posted by: Pixie Dust ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 12:13PM

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 12:15PM

So happy for all of you!!! Nobody waiting outside, everyone included and happy, happy, happy!!

Congratulations!!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 12:48PM

Sounds hectic but exciting and well worth all of the work and stress of planning and preparing.

Jerry and I will toast you, your wife and the happy couple and send good wishes from afar.

Posted by: Ponti ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 01:00PM

wherein there is exclusion, unhappiness for the excluded, etc. Congrats for you and your daughter. Tell your son a big "thank you" for his service.

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 01:05PM

Congratulations. Best to you and your family.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 01:05PM

My mom and dad gots 25 years today! I wish yer daughter that and then some!

Yer I-Luv-2-Cry-At-Weddings Pal,

Reggie, The StalkerDog™

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 01:06PM

Congratulations. A big milestone in our life, seeing our children pairing off with another...

Our children is one of the best reasons for leaving Mormonism behind.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 01:10PM

Congratulations! It sounds like it will be a beautiful event. :)

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 01:17PM

Congratulations! It sounds like it will be a wonderful day of fun, frivolity and love! And no ugly baker's hats, aprons & crappy finger food on the basketball court at the ward house!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 01:41PM

Congratulations! Nobody will miss the ceremony because they're not "worthy" to attend, plus the bride can wear a pretty veil instead of the ugly ones from the temple.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 02:03PM

Congratulations to you and yours!!

You made a very important and insightful point there. Big things, small things, it's all the same in mormonism because they pressure you to do too much all the time. Every thing is urgent therefore nothing is important.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 02:14PM

Weddings are family/community events.

Mormon weddings are MORMON events.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 02:15PM

Eric, I'm so happy for you! May all the stress melt away as you celebrate your daughter's big day.

What you describe is what I had dreamed about for years for my 2 kids. But we never even got close, since they both decided on temple weddings. (grrrrrr)

Anyway, we've moved on, and I can at least be happy that some people are doing marriage right. :)

Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 02:16PM

Eric,

First of all I'd like to say congrats to your daughter and her new husband-to-be :) Secondly it will be nice to have all your family together :) And lastly .... congrats to you the lucky father in a "normal" family :)

Now down to business, i.e. everything that matters for all the special people who are better than everyone else. Shouldn't they be having a bouncer there to make sure you have the proper badge? I mean this is your daughter's wedding so they need to make sure you worthily believe in all sorts of hocus pocus, that you give a bunch of money to some old men who don't tell the truth on their spending of it, that you wear funny underwear, and other stuff. If you're not doing this then shouldn't you be kept out and forced to wait outside? And most importantly of all, you're supposed to be super happy about this arrangement with the wedding hall and have spent your whole life preparing your daughter carefully to be happy about the arrangement too. In fact aren't you supposed to be spending every waking hour telling everyone you can how wonderful this wedding hall is ;)

Posted by: jeb ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 02:30PM

Sounds wonderful! Enjoy the day with your family and friends!

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 02:33PM

I will send a little toast your way tonight!

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 02:36PM

Congratulations!! What a wonderful, exciting time this is for you! This will be not only the most memorable day of her life, but one of yours as well. So happy for you that your son will be home safe and sound and that your family will all be together again after so long a wait. How fantastic that your family is out of the cult and will experience a REAL wedding and that you will be there and not waiting in a side room somewhere. My nevermo husband walked our only daughter down a lovely outdoor aisle 2 months ago. ( He never thought it possible 10 years ago when she was president of her Young Womens class.) Thank you for that Erik!! Your site helped me leave and eventually helped our whole family of five.

Again, congratulations on your daughter's upcoming wedding this week end and also on gaining a new son! Please have the time of your life and enjoy it to the fullest!! Some of your happiest days lie ahead watching your daughter and son in law build a happy new life together. What great music there will be and celebrating!!! Your joy will overflow.

I wish you and your family the best!!

Big Hugs from this Mex Mom!

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 03:01PM

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 03:08PM

This is wonderful, Eric! Sounds like there'll be lots of joy and good cheer for everyone. Am happy for y'all and wish your daughter all the best in her marriage.

Posted by: Ikki ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 04:09PM

It will be wonderful. So happy for you and your daughter!

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 04:37PM

My daughter's secular wedding was one of the highlights of my life. You don't get a chance to throw a good party often.

Marshall

Posted by: BI ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 04:54PM

Congratulations! We drank a toast to your daughter tonight. I was fortunate to find my way out pretty young. Never wore garments!!!:) Married my nevermo hubby at age 25 after we had known each other for 5 years. We've been happily married for 14 years now. We wish you and your daughter a beautiful day. I was just recently introduced to your page. I really could have used this 20 years ago ... but I'm glad I found it now. Thank you and PROST!

Posted by: Bal ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 05:01PM

Congrats Ekic there is no feeling like the moment you will be walking her down the isle, you will never forget it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2012 05:02PM by Bal.

Posted by: exmowife ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 05:02PM

Live it, love it and enjoy it!

Posted by: Just Me ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 05:05PM

Eric I wish your daughter and her husband the greatest happiness! Just remember, because of you and exmormon.org, there are many more families that are together for their children's wedding ceremonies.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 28, 2012 08:33PM

But I will make sure we all get a full report!

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 05:24PM

Congratulations. Wishes for happyness for the bride and groom, and let the good times roll!!

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 05:37PM

Congratulations!

;o)

Posted by: acerbicone ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 05:51PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 06:01PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 06:09PM

All my best to you and your family, Eric. I hope that that all of you have a lovely day. Return and report, okay?

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 06:36PM

What a fine way to celebrate a wedding: good, supportive friends who wouldn't miss it for anything. Have a great time!

Posted by: nevermodoc ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 07:15PM

WooHoo,
Congrats to your daughter and the whole gaul dang FAMILY.
Getting hitched with the whole FAMILY the way it should be. Have a wonderful weekend!!!!!!!

Posted by: geekchick ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 07:58PM

congratulations! I wish for you and your daughter's new family all the happiness in the world!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 08:18PM

Thanks for setting an example of having a great life post Mormonism. Congratulations to your entire family.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 08:29PM

Congrats, Erik.

Would you mind nailing that post to the temple door in Salt Lake?

Brides ought to know the kind of experience they should be having.

Just for contrast, you know the contrast is in the details.

Anagrammy

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 09:06PM

Downtown Chatt. is great...beautiful walk accross the Walnut Street bridge too!! Ahh man the memories of Chatt. are great! good luck to your daughter!! :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2012 09:08PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 26, 2012 10:48PM

Eric, it sounds wonderful. So happy you can all be together. Thank your son for his service. Your daugher will remember this day and the happy family forever. All the best.You have great friends who want to treasure this day too. May the loud laughter begin. Have fun.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 29, 2012 01:59AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.