Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 11:28AM

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/04/18/lawsuit-former-bain-execs-fired-employees-for-not-being-mormon/

Excerpts below are all from the link above:

"David McCurdy and four other co-plaintiffs are suing Sorenson Capital Partners (SCP), Care Holding Co., Care Senior Living, and SCP Care Acquisition because they say the private equity firm fired them from their jobs at Care Senior Living because they were not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS), according to Courthouse News Service.

“Despite the promise of 5-years employment, in mid-November 2011, after only 7 months Plaintiffs were told that their employment would be terminated effective February 2012,” the lawsuit (PDF), which was filed in federal court in Oregon, states.

“During their tenure with Defendants, Plaintiffs learned that SCP strongly favored hiring, employing, and doing business with other members of the LDS Church,” the suit continues. “SCP partners, in particular Curtis Toone and Mike Scott, made comments about religion and questioned the beliefs of Plaintiffs and other employees.”

The plaintiffs are asking the court for relief because the “Defendants’ decision to terminate Plaintiffs’ employment was based, at least in part, on Plaintiffs’ non-affiliation with the LDS Church.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 11:30AM

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 11:32AM

That's sort of misleading. It doesn't say Bain fired anyone for not being Mormons but rather that some executives who left Bain and started their own company did that.

Posted by: Lemminghunter ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 11:10AM

Yeah, like not having anything at all to do with it. To moonbats, that's just "wiggle room."

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 11:37AM

...but for not having the ethical impairment of Mormons.

Date: April 19, 2012 11:50AM

Good point, Stray Mutt. The non-mormons could not be counted on to ignore ethical corner-cutting.

They were probably fired to keep them from becoming whistle blowers. Mormons think they can count on each other's loyalty when it comes to not notifying the Feds or the press about questionable business practices.

There are some great comments below that article, including one from Whiskey Tango.

Date: April 19, 2012 12:23PM

One of the comments below the article:

"i worked for an academic housing complex of about 3,000 students,and their families. From personal experience I witnessed the adults of the (only!) 12 mormon families lie, connive, and manipulate this student coop community to confer monetary advantages to themselves(and to the church). All the while they outwardly appeared squeaky clean, and all-American. They rolled you if you didnt play ball. This effort to elect Romney is all about the church, and its power. It's Mitt's time, Ann said."

The commenter identified himself/herself as "jimbobuddy" -- wonder where he/she worked. BYU?

Date: April 19, 2012 12:27PM

A comment from "RoboBob":

"I too worked for a mormon company and was fired for being a 'heathen" and replaced with a "good morman boy'."

A comment from "johnbis":

"Having some knowledge of how LDSers disdain the Morality of the Gentiles or "the mixed multitudes " may I assure you that any semblance of morality stays in house. To my eternal regret I helped LDSers loot the resources of New York City with my Mormon friend..."

Date: April 19, 2012 12:32PM

Comment from Whiskey Tango:

"I was born and raised as a Mormon and have lived most of my life in Utah. While I do not know much about this case I do know for a fact that Mormons for the most part will only associate with other Mormons. They actively secure employment for Mormons within Mormon companies and always look out for one another. If you live in an area with fewer Mormons you can almost bet that all of the Mormons in your area are working with the same employers. Mormons will deny that they do this(as they deny anything that reflects negatively on themselves) but I have witnessed it many times firsthand.

"In Utah where most Mormons live it is very common for Mormon business owners to hire returned missionaries almost sight unseen because another Mormon vouches for them."

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 12:47PM

The agent told her she had the job but had to meet with a higher-up as a formality. She did that, answered all his questions, asked some of her own, got ready to sign the papers when the higher up said, "You are LDS, aren't you?"
Mom said no and named her church.

Big shot said, "Oh, well, we have to have someone LDS in this position. Otherwise, people won't do business here."

Date: April 19, 2012 01:39PM

I've heard from others that a mormon interviewer will offer to take the interviewee out for coffee (or will offer a cup of coffee), and if the interviewee accepts he/she is not hired.

Interesting to note that in Twinker's story, the interviewer was not sneaky, but upfront about the LDS question. I prefer the 1960s straightforward version, at least it's honest about the mormon prejudice.

Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 03:42PM

Oh how I cannot stand Mittens- he makes me sick.

Did you all know (you probably do!) that Bain Capital Partners owns and operates dog food manufacturers? Doesn't that figure with Mitt's well documented *love* of dogs? (barf). I guess Bain makes a lot more money by putting melamine and other toxic substances in the dog food to maximize profits...or is it prophets?

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 10:31PM

A free events paper, the "Dallas Observer" for April 19th 2012 is running an article on Romney's years at Bain Capitol.

It's title is "American Parasite" and as you may guess, Bain Capitol made tons of money, while often the businesses they bought up and "managed" went under.

"After Bain bought Georgetown Steel, equipment upgrades stopped. Maintenance became an afterthought. They got rid of old managers and replaced them with new managers that didn't have any steel experience. Many of the new supervisors were ex-military who believed that grown men and women were best motivated by punishment. They wanted to run the plant like a disciplinary environment."

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 05:01PM

Interesting article--thanks.

Date: April 20, 2012 05:03PM

Here are a few more details from the Dallas Observer article:

…His [Romney's] formula was simple: Bain would purchase a firm with little money down, then begin extracting huge management fees and paying Romney and his investors enormous dividends.

The result was that previously profitable companies were now burdened with debt. But much like the Enron boys, Romney’s battery of MBAs fancied themselves the smartest guys in the room. It didn’t matter if a company manufactured bicycles or contact lenses; they were certain they could run it better than anyone else.

Posted by: davesnothere ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 05:09PM

It’s called the Mongolian Horde Theory of business…..rape and pillage then move on to the next business.

Date: April 20, 2012 05:11PM

One phrase that Romney uses continues to annoy me. That phrase is "creative destruction." The idea is that something not working right or well needs to be destroyed to make room for something that does work well.

However, Romney targeted companies that were working perfectly well, companies that didn't deserve or need to be destroyed.

For example:

"It was the early 1990s, and the 750 men and women at Georgetown Steel were pumping out wire rods at peak performance. They had an abiding trust in management's ability to run a smart company. That allegiance was rewarded with fat profit-sharing checks. In the basement-wage economy of Georgetown, South Carolina, Sanderson and his co-workers were blue-collar aristocracy.

"'We were doing very good,' says Sanderson, president of Steelworkers Local 7898. 'The plant was making money, and we had good profit-sharing checks, and everything was going well.'"
[end excerpt from article]

So if everything was going well at Georgetown Steel, why did Romney and cohorts take it over? Why did they stop maintaining the equipment? Why did they get rid of experienced managers? The answer is that they are unethical, greedy, arrogant bums. They saw a chance to make (I won't say "earn") some money by shoving other people down and walking over them.

Posted by: StiffNekid ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 10:49PM

Look, academicians are available to tell how things should be done in the REAL world. They can paint the picture of what is ethical and openly legal.

In my professional business, the level of competition drives competitors into continually comprosing ethical principles. A certain level of unethical behavior is tolerated by the system. There is a system in place to police everyone, but, still, a tremendous amount of leeway is granted at the same time.

It's good to know about Bain capital. But, unethical business is soooooo commonplace. How did Madoff become a multi-billionaire on a Ponzi scam? It's just accepted practice until something goes wrong......for example, a Republican competitor decides to run for president.

Certainly such business practice is not worried about, even lauded if said competitor happened to be say......liberal? Democrat? Ha ha. It's a funny funny thing. This twisted USA we live in.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 03:08PM

The Mormon owned Phoenix University lost a lawsuit for favoring Mormons over non-Mormons.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/business/articles/0928biz-eeoc0928.html

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 18, 2012 03:36PM

Terrence Bell, former U.S. Sec of Education in the Carter administration was a big wheel at University of PHoenix.
He was LDS.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.