Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 03:44PM

There are many references to false prophets in the Bible:

2 Pet 2:1 (NIV) But there were also false prophets among the
people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them--bringing swift destruction on themselves.

2 Pet 2:2 (NIV) Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.

2 Pet 2:3 (NIV) In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.

1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Shouldn't Bible-believing Mormons hold Joseph Smith (and all subsequent "prophets") to a higher standard. He fails every test. Why do they ignore these warnings?

(New International Version Bible)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 04:00PM

I think the books they have are already crazy enough, why add to the mix? Plus, you don't want the members saying, "wait a minute, didn't I just read the same thing word for word in the BoM?"

Even though there are some nice passages in the Bible, if you look at the WHOLE thing objectively without concentrating on your favorite parts, it has to take you back a bit.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 04:54PM

I agree. I think the Bible contradicts what they are trying to brainwash kids with so they disregard most of it. They just do not go together at all and this is why most Christians can not say Mormons are Christian.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 04:58PM

Romans 2

1Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 07:51PM

They claim to believe the Book of Mormon even moreso than they believe the Bible (which they believe only so far as it is translated corrected, which means so far as it supports their own beliefs).

But they even more blatantly ignore the Book of Mormon! For a listing, see:

http://packham.n4m.org/bomvslds.htm "The Book of Mormon vs. Mormonism"

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 08:29PM

Unbelievable. I knew it was inconsistent but your spotlight on it is amazing.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 08:16PM

If the Bible doesn't agree with Mormonism it was obviously
not translated correctly. See how simple it is.

Date: April 08, 2012 09:26PM

And which came first? Mormons are so dumb to copy entire parts of the Bible just to declare to be like it at least in a way.

Posted by: Cienfuegos ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 08:23PM

Date: April 08, 2012 09:27PM

That is false....they do not believe in the Bible as Christians do. They contradict scripture in the Bible. Nice try.

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: April 08, 2012 08:49PM

Because the BoM means more to them than the Bible. The Bible is used by Christian faiths too, including those they look down upon---but the BoM is Mormon. So they claim to believe in both, but they value the BoM more than the Bible.

Posted by: larry john ( )
Date: April 12, 2012 06:36AM

That says first nephi 20 verses 13 onwards predicting the existance of the bible and how it would be corrupted through
wicked means and how this book the mormon one will save the day...

Was LDS the first church to truly break away from catholicism
no daughter church of the mother of whores.

It was the modern new age relegion refreshing to escape
traditional relegion.

Yet another cult and money hungury co-operation like catholicsm.

Larry...

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: April 12, 2012 07:53AM

Deu 18:20 But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.

Deu 18:22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

Posted by: Dances with Curleoms ( )
Date: April 12, 2012 01:17PM

OP doesn't see the irony in their own question.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: April 12, 2012 01:22PM

The same reason every other Christian religion ignores the stuff that doesn't fit with their particular dogma.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2012 01:22PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: anono ( )
Date: April 12, 2012 01:53PM

everyone simply ignores the parts of the Bible that don't fit in with their theological teachings.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 12, 2012 02:10PM

Several years ago I read a story about a guy who decided he was going to live the bible to the letter with the exception of things that broke the laws of the land.

If I remember right, he didn't last too long. A lot of the things in the bible are currently illegal in this country. Also he couldn't handle the diet and the clothing.

I have no idea where I read that. If your curious, maybe google will bring it up?

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: April 12, 2012 02:38PM

Mia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Several years ago I read a story about a guy who
> decided he was going to live the bible to the
> letter with the exception of things that broke the
> laws of the land.
>
> If I remember right, he didn't last too long. A
> lot of the things in the bible are currently
> illegal in this country. Also he couldn't handle
> the diet and the clothing.
>
> I have no idea where I read that. If your curious,
> maybe google will bring it up?

It's the book "The Year of Living Biblically." The author is Jewish and really only tried to live according to every bit of the Old Testament, not the entire Bible. It is a very funny, interesting read. I even bought a copy for a fundamentalist relative of mine to read (hoping it might make him to think more deeply about some of the Bible's inconsistencies, etc.), but I don't know if he ever read it.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 12, 2012 02:16PM

1st Corinthians 7:

10 And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:

11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.

12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

Posted by: treehugger ( )
Date: April 12, 2012 05:41PM

I've heard of people calling the New Testament an anti-Mormon book. Lol! So true, so true.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 12, 2012 06:15PM

Mormons ignore anything that is written or spoken that doesn't fit with the current doctrine unless it can be used to spy on apostates...JMHO

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: April 12, 2012 06:16PM

I can pull out a dozen or so verses that, in context, support Mormonism.

You choose to believe what you want to believe.

Posted by: nodedog ( )
Date: April 12, 2012 06:34PM

Not to downplay this thread, but don't most mainstrtream christians ignore the bible that they claim to believe?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.