Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 04:59AM

I can't help wondering, referring back to the Chorley temple issue, what that big white carbuncle will look like in 50 years time, given our climate and tendency to erosion.

My house has the upper half part painted off-white. Every 2 years the upper half has to be re-painted to stop it looking dreary and dirty from dripping rain and cold erosion. Often we have to repair frost damage and this is ongoing maintenance.

Mormon temples are all white and they are so despite local climactic conditions. 50 years hence they may be looking rather scruffy unless the morg invests millions for maintenance. In places like England that huge edifice will soak up some serious maintenance money.

The temple looks as if it has been transported from a desert climate and just doesn't fit - it looks totally wrong and sticks out like a sore thumb. White gravestones are not normally used over here but the mormons .... oh well.

Just musing about the obvious.

Briggy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2012 05:06AM by brigantia.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 05:13AM

It does soak up some serious maintinance money and it does look gross after a wile.

Posted by: flyinghigh ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 05:22AM

The Preston Temple is sparkling white in sunshine but turns a dull and dreary grey colour when it's raining, which is normally 80% of the time in Lancashire. I believe that the Temple Complex cost around $180 million to build in 1998. I was also told by a reliable source that the new carpets on two floors of the Temple cost in the region of $400000 and the recent additional CCTV camera system around $500000. There are surveillance cameras throughout the complex and all around the Temple itself. Everyone is being routinely monitored in the LDS Kingdom of God. Welcome, welcome!

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 07:21AM

I know England has many amazing cathedrals. How does the inside of the lds temple stack up? The outside doesn't look all that special.

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/england/english-cathedrals

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 02:55PM

Check out those images!

British (& European) cathedral architecture: stunning
Mormon temple architecture: dreadful, embarrassing, kitsch

As goes the mind, so goes the edifice.
========================================================

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 07:36AM

Very disappointing.

Briggy

Posted by: Apostate Nate ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 08:19AM

I'm sorry Briggy, but you're wrong. You said, "The temple looks as if it has been transported from a desert climate and just doesn't fit - it looks totally wrong and sticks out like a sore thumb."

This is simply untrue. According to the Preston England Temple official Wikipedia page, the white granite and zinc roof are actually reminiscent of England's old churches. It even lists a reference for this "fact" -> "The First 100 Temples", by Chad Hawkins, 2001, p. 145.

If Chad Hawkins, an inspired artist whose income is based off of the sale of faith promoting Mormon "art work" says it, then I guess it must be true.

Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 10:05AM

Circular referencing, ain't it grande?

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 09:34AM

The arcutecture of the temples looks rather like it just dsoent fit even if the materials do. Also cathedrals in england are built so that the rain stains and such seem to add to the beutifulness of it and make it stand out more. On the temple you have a large white brick so it just kind of looks dumped there.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 09:57AM

Mormons never understand roof structure when it comes to building outside of a desert.

Posted by: southern ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 09:59AM

Preston temple looks very out of place architecturally speaking. Did you know that it's lost it's tax exempt status? I found this, http://www.mormonlawyers.com/2008/11/preston-england-temple-loses-tax-exempt.html very interesting. I wish the usa would make similar rulings!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 10:39AM

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 02:09PM

Does not qualify as a "public house of worship". The mission home and temple are thus not tax-exempt, though meetinghouses (where the general public may enter) are tax-exempt.

This "non public" classification is why temple marriages in the UK are not legally valid, and must be preceded by a town hall or guild hall wedding. The public does not have the right to attend--and potentially to give reason why the wedding should not take place, as requested in the Church of England wedding liturgy. Other religions may conduct a legally valid wedding because technically the ceremony is open to the public. LDS meetinghouse weddings are legal because the public may attend, but not so the temples.

Since some sort of civil ceremony must by law precede a temple sealing in the UK, TSCC waives the one year wait for couples who have a civil ceremony first, followed asap by temple sealing.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 10:37AM

We get looking rather dreary, too.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 12:42PM

The temples at Manti, Logan, and Boise are not primarily white either, and I believe the "Disney Castle" Temple near San Diego is sand-colored. The few other temples I have seen are white-ish as best I can recall.

So they didn't have to put up a white building in England. What were they thinking?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2012 12:43PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: April 07, 2012 02:18PM

The San Diego temple is bright white, and another reason why it is an eyesore, plopped right above a freeway embankment for all to see. Unfortunately, its position perched above Interstate 5 places it in proximity to one of the nation's busiest freeways, and the automobile emissions cannot be good for its color. In the past year, a cleaning or resurfacing of the temple was done, with one or both spires hidden behind scaffolding for months. This is the second time I've seen this task performed, so I'm guessing that every 8-9 years the temple needs a thorough scrubbing or resurfacing. This is not rural Utah!

Date: April 07, 2012 02:24PM

In their rush to establish a freeway-adjacent, high visibility location, they purchased a small plot of land with inadequate on-site parking for such a relatively large temple. The immediate neighborhood is the freeway on one side and some apartments or condos across the street. There are some office buildings a few blocks away, but there is very little on-street parking. Rumor has it that TSCC either purchased or leased space in a nearby office parking garage. I have driven by it on Saturdays and have seen people walking along the road outside the temple carrying tote bags, so I would take that to mean that some of the patrons have to park several blocks away.

At the time they purchased the land, there were larger parcels available east of the freeway, large enough for adequate on-site parking, only several blocks away, and with better access to arterial roads than the temple now has. But no, they had to build right on the freeway so everyone could see their great and spacious building.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 12:50PM

Since the outside is granite, that could be maintained by doing a power washing (high pressure water) every two years. There is no cost of materials, an industrial power washer costs about $1200 (US) a cherry picker or scaffolding is required, and then there is the labor cost to run the power washer. I don't understand how that would be excessively expensive.

Date: April 07, 2012 02:25PM

I don't know what they do to the San Diego temple, but the scaffolding was up around the towers for about a year in 2011.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 05:06PM

saviorself Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since the outside is granite, that could be
> maintained by doing a power washing (high pressure
> water) every two years. There is no cost of
> materials, an industrial power washer costs about
> $1200 (US) a cherry picker or scaffolding is
> required, and then there is the labor cost to run
> the power washer. I don't understand how that
> would be excessively expensive.

ward notice board
the Smith Family and The Jones are called to clean the chapel this coming saturday, 14th June....
Could all other ward families please meet in the chapel car park at 6am, for our 'clean the temple' activity....
Your stake leaders can testify to the blessing which come from a saturday cleaning the temple, and can testify of the happy smiling faces of people, as we wave them off to the temple cleaning activity.
Your blessing will be multiplied if you can bring your own power washer (available from deseret cleaning supplies for only $1500 (US) via your ward janitorial council)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2012 05:07PM by EssexExMo.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 12:52PM

Is it a huge, painfull, pus-filled carbuncle on the buttocks of the earth ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2012 12:53PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: german lurker ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 01:46PM

nature and architecture, culture and decay ...
http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/display/24050354

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: April 07, 2012 05:00PM

I don't like the look of it wet or dry. I think it looks creepy.

Some TBM relatives told me that Mormons must keep their temple recommends up to date so they can hide safely in the temple when Jesus comes.

They didn't seem at all concerned about the innocent people and children who would be left outside.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.