Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 08:39AM

It bothers me. With all the fanfic and hype about people addicted to a series of books or a particular author's characters, I think as a child I was one of these people unwittingly.

That really bothers me. Instead of getting excited about actual history or what passes for it, I was caught up in faith promoting fiction.

What would Nephi do? I want to serve a mission like Alma The Younger and The Sons of Mosiah. Etc. Etc.

I was sold crazy in Elizabethan English prose and not even good prose at that. Whoever wrote The Book of Mormon, they were no Shakespeare.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NYNevermo ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 12:26PM

Don't beat yourself up over it!

Actually, there are plenty of people who were inspired by works of fiction to do/act in a different manner...Some people get inspired by characters in books and pursue education and employment like the protagonists in their favorite novel. Sometimes books like 1984, Fahrenheit 451, and the like serve as warnings to society as well...Literature is quite an effective tool on influencing both societal and individual thought processes, IMHO.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 01:34PM

I just noticed a guy I work with has a book of mormon reference written on his white board (Jacob 5:73).

I'm tempted to put something up on my white board:

Alice In Wonderland 17:22

(I made that up, by the way. Don't know if it means anything or not.)

Posted by: Longtime Lurker ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 01:37PM

I'm more annoyed that I was duped by *bad* fiction. I feel like one of those idiot Scientologists.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 01:39PM

Speaking of people thinking fictional characters are real . . . Back when I was a home teacher, my neighbor and home-teaching companion thought "The Blair Witch Project" was an actual documentary.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 01:43PM

Wait, What? It isn't? But, but what about paranormal activity?

My daughter is convinced the paranormal activity movies are real documentaries. God and stan are in a codependent relationship.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 09:21AM

God and Stan were playing with and betting on Job for their amusement, so yeah, it is entirely possible.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 01:40PM

I'm not sure I ever believed in them anyway--

What irritates me is that I wasted so much time READING it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 01:44PM

you mean like jesus ?

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 09:41AM

... Reagan.

Timothy

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 01:47PM

Yes it makes me mad. I spent brain cells feeling guilty about reading Lord of the rings so many times while neglecting 'the most correct book on earth".

What a load of crap. Nephi and sam don't hold a candle to Frodo and Sam.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 01:55PM

That was something that was always hard for me, to imagine these BoM characters as real people. I tried, but it never quite clicked. Characters in actual literature always seemed more real to me.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 01:58PM

Yes, they always seemed to 'good'(in every way) to be true.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:02PM

Or too 'bad'. Laban is just as unbelievable as Nephi. Oh you pissed me off again so I'm going to try to kill you again. Oh I just saw an angel but I'm still murmuring.

I've gotta admit that who-ever came up with the Amalekiah story/character did a good job of inventing a really awesomely nasty villain.

Posted by: Pixie Dust ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:08PM

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 08:43AM

ronas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh you pissed me off again so I'm going to
> try to kill you again. Oh I just saw an angel but
> I'm still murmuring.

LOL! I know. I saw and angel but I hate you and all my children's children's children' children will hate you and your posterity and God will make sure of this by magically making us a different color.

Posted by: me ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 01:03PM

Funny, I seem to be no darker than most of you.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 01:59PM

By the time I realized BoM people were fictional (as were some of the biblical people) I had already come to the realization that the world is filled with fiction trying to pass as reality, and that people I trusted might lie to me. C'est la f-ing vie.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 02:00PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: Pixie Dust ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:07PM

No, because it was so filled with BS that I couldn't subscribe to it as being scripture.

It was nonsensical in parts, the names of the cities were copycats from other countries, and I didn't feel spiritual when I read it.

Thank God that I didn't read it more than once in the entire three decades that I was a MO.

Posted by: m ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:36PM

Coincidence or BS

Lemuel Dufree

http://olivercowdery.com/history/Cdychrn1.htm

Dec. 20 The Joseph Smith, Sr. family lose the the title to their farm in Manchester. Lemuel Durfee, Sr., the new owner allows the Smiths to remain on the property as tenant farmers.

Laman(luman) Walter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luman_Walter
Since Laman is not uncommon as a spelling variation for Luman, this person is likely Luman Walter

"In 1822 and 1823, Luman Walter served as a seer for a treasure dig on the property of Abner Cole in Palmyra, Wayne County, New York. Joseph Smith, Sr., Alvin Smith, and Joseph Smith, Jr. reportedly participated in this dig. Walter possessed a magical book and a seerstone, which he used to locate buried treasure. Walter is said to have conducted three unsuccessful digs on the hill Cumorah, but later suggests that only Smith might be able to find the treasure there."

Posted by: Chicken'nBackpacks ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:47PM

That's one of those saddest and most infuriating things about LDS doctrine; while even some evangelicals now will admit that much of the bible is allegory and/or based on older legends and myths from thousands of years ago, TSCC is stuck with "history revealed live and direct from God" less than 200 years ago, based on those same myths and legends, that is supposed to be factual, so they're stuck with it.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 10:06AM

Posted by: Teddy ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 11:46AM

Are you sure it was not Jacob 5:13? I mean a King James-hater, could be indicating the letter by Jesus' brother that way.

"Is any among you afflicted? Let him pray, Is any merry? Let him sing psalms."

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 12:38PM

If it makes you feel better, Adam, Eve, Noah, Jesus, Moses, and most of the guys in the bible were fictional people made into "history."

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: April 04, 2012 12:59PM

What would Bilbo do? Lol

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.