Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 04:06PM

Oh my...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20120402/us-romney/

>A Ron Paul supporter asked Romney whether he agreed with a passage from the Book of Mormon that describes a cursing of people with a "skin of blackness." Romney's staff took the microphone away from the 28-year-old Green Bay man before he could read the passage.

>Romney said didn't want to discuss religion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 04:30PM

Ducking such a question makes him look guilty.

Questioner: "Mr. Romney, do you think skin color denotes inferiority?"

Mitt: "I'm sorry, I won't discuss my beliefs."

Questioner: "What are your beliefs?"

Mitt: "I'm sorry, that's personal."

Evasion = guilt.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 04:35PM

Romney has had no problem in the past discussing religion.

He's given lots of speeches about it.

What changed his mind on this particular issue?

Posted by: nonmoparents ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 06:16PM

To bad someone couldn't get their hands on a recording of his proselytizing and get it out to the media.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 04:37PM

This kind of thing will plague Romney wherever he goes -- follow a racist, sexist, false religion --- pay the price.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 04:38PM

I'm not voting for him tomorrow, that's for certain.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 05:09PM

He doesn't want to discuss it because if he does he might lie. If he lies then he might become loathsome, idle, and end up with a skin of blackness himself.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 05:23PM

Answer: Take the matter up with church leaders in SLC. I don't know what's opinion and what's church doctrine anymore.

Mitt wasn't just a member going to church on Sunday and nothing more. He was a bishop.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2012-03-28/mitt-romney-mormon-bishop/53836844/1

The church tells its members that if they have a question about doctrine, to ask their bishop.

Mitt lies, like a fish swims.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 07:19PM

It's "worse" than that. Romney was a stake president.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 05:28PM

Let them read the whole silly chapter themselves. Point out to pay special attention to verses 21-23:

http://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/2-ne/5?lang=eng

The Lamanites were bad so God caused a curse of a skin of blackness to come up on them so that they would be loathsome to the Nephites. And God will curse the seed that mixes with their seed.

And then they can read about all the precious metals, iron, brass, steel, gold, silver, etc. that were in great abundance. Tell that one to the historians.

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 05:30PM

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 05:41PM

Unfortunately, MSNBC hadn't carried the story yet, so I had to resort to HuffPo (which I "unbookmarked" weeks ago; too much drama, a little milk, and almost no meat, IMHO).

That was while I was following Keith Olbermann's Twitter page... I may change my vow never to do Twitter (same with Facebook); there was an "SL Cabbie" that wasn't me, and as soon as I started posting on Olbermann (and my friends started tweeting him thinking it was me), he changed his Twitter handle in a hurry.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 07:45PM

It is going to be fun when he gets the nomination.

He will not have a choice about talking about his religion, as the media will be, and it will not be avoidable for him.

When the media begins to uncover this mess, he also will be in a very bad spot, as since he was a leader, he cannot claim ignorance. For a guy that spent years of his life, abroad promoting LDS Inc. he will appear as lying if he denies any of it.

Additionally, his LDS unwaivering base, may waiver when they will learn that he has had a 2nd annointing, a ceremony kept secret (sacred) from the rest of the membership. I am unaware if he has had that ritual, but I am guessing he has, and too many people would know about it to keep it secret (sacred)

Whether he can bury or deny it will not matter, as nonmormon people learn about the 'no longer bound by commandments' thing. That ritual alone could destroy the LDS church.

Date: April 03, 2012 07:26PM

Here's a question. Why would a "skin of blackness" make them not attractive to the Nephites?

A "skin of blackness" is never referred to in ancient times as being unattractive. Nothing in the Bible mentions anything like that. There are proscriptions against marrying into DIFFERENT CULTURES but nowhere does it mention one's skin color as being un-enticing.

However, in Joseph Smith's time and place slavery was practiced based on race. This was totally different from slavery in ancient times. It was part of the culture in Joseph Smith's time that Blacks were a slave race and that intermarriage of white people with black people would be "stooping" to a slave level. Even many of the abolitionists of the north did not consider Blacks the social equal of Whites, although they considered slavery cruel and wrong.

So here we find a book which just assumes that a "skin of blackness" would be sufficient to stop intermingling. So I have to ask myself, does this book fit into an ancient setting or into a setting that reflects Joseph Smith's time and place?

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 05:33PM

Questioner: "Mr. Romney, do you think skin color denotes inferiority?"

Not a bad question for a white man who will be running against a black man next November.

Posted by: me ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 05:45PM

No fear.

Posted by: Friend of a Mo ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 05:48PM

Hardball talked about it. (Michael Smerconich was the sub for Chris Matthews) They also showed the question where someone asked "If a black person marries a white person, do you think it's a sin?" He said "NO, next question?" Mittens was NOT happy. The water is starting to get hot for ole Mittens.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 06:05PM

His cowardice is not limited to religious issues. He can't even give a straight answer on RomneyCare.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 08:06PM

Here's the youtube vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B7ApHB9NYg&feature=player_embedded#!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 08:07PM by lulu.

Posted by: delt1995 ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 08:26PM

Note to Mitt Romney and LDS HQ; what are you going to do when a black person asks questions like that in public?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 02, 2012 11:12PM

Hey, was that one of you guys?

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 12:24AM

Lawrence O'Donnell really stretched out on this issue tonight. It was beautiful.

Posted by: tomclark ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 11:32AM

Sorry, off topic here, but I wanted to connect with you. beaniecapguy@gmail.com

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 07:34PM

Nope. In fact, they (LDS Corp) prided themselves in not using the word "pastor." Romney only uses it to make the LDS Corp church sound more mainstream and 'normal.'

His use of the word 'pastor' is an insult to all real pastors who took the time and energy to go to a theological seminary and study and practice to be a church leader, and theological leader, and a real couselor to the people of thei congregations.

Romney has no such training, and is not entitled to call himself one.

Posted by: Mitt ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 02:56PM

It would be hilarious if Mitt totally embraced the dark skin curse doctrine and used it against Obama during the campaign. He could quote scripture about a skin of blackness being a sign of unrighteousness and then point out that Obama has dark skin. that would be the funniest thing ever.

Date: April 03, 2012 07:29PM

Or, better yet, quote Brigham Young on how those of black-African ancestry are not fit for positions of governance and leadership.

Posted by: adventurer176 ( )
Date: April 03, 2012 11:57PM

well in this case Brigham Youndg was right. God is racist as is the bible.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.