Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 03:46PM

From an English person's point of view, pretending to myself that I'd never heard of mormonism, the programme and the delivery and testimonies confirm that mormonism is a cult. All the happy, happy naivety of the TBMs came across as treacly and insincere.

Holland was obviously uncomfortable with the interview and lied, obviously, about shunning and denied that the BofA papyri were intrinsic to the translation. Jeff Ricks portrayed, in the midst of a mormon crowd but secretly in the corner, the temple death oaths but this came across as delivered in an oppressive atmosphere and there appeared to be palpable fear when discussing this. I got the creeps during this section.

Park Romney was direct and came across as sincere and told it the way it is - this was highly credible and anyone watching, in my opinion, would believe his testimony of shunning and his own experiences within the Romney family re this. Holland of course lied and denied that shunning takes place but was countered by Park's account anyway.

Mormonism, though not openly discussed within the election campaign, is clearly the elephant in the room and is a big issue. I got the impression that if Romney gets the nomination it is a free pass for Obama back to the White House.

By the way, Holland made the same freudian slip of referring to Obama as 'Osama'. A very concise, well presented and fair representation from all sides but mormonism didn't win this in my view. Well done to everyone involved.

Briggy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 03:48PM

I get the BBC channel on cable- I wonder if it will be broadcast- have to check! Thanks for the heads up. Cheers!

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 03:49PM

It should get more usage.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 04:34PM

Posted by: Tom ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 03:57PM

This is interesting:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/mar/27/bbc-mormon-prs-complaint

"A BBC employee has been criticised by colleagues for allegedly allowing two PRs representing the Mormon church into one of the corporation's buildings in west London to hand deliver a letter of complaint."

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 05:09PM

The church delivered a letter of complaint. Boo hoo. I've said this before, if the lds church can't be completely open and honest (about the temple, finances, history) then stop the missionaries and stop the advertising. Get off the web, fire all the PR people and just tell your members to pray, pay, obey and don't say anything about the church. Either be completely secret or completely open and honest. You can't take half a sh!t.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 03:57PM

that we only have BBC1. Couldn't watch it on the net, maybe later.

I did see some tweets from other Dutch viewers who do have BBC2 and they were all unanimous that Mormonism is a creepy cult. One tweet said "Romney must not become president".

DD was happy, though, 'cos now she could watch a new Big Bang Theory episode.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 04:06PM

'Sweeney [the interviewer of the documentary], who was out of the country when the incident occurred, told MediaGuardian: "I was flabbergasted that the PR operation for the Mormon church found it necessary to invade our office. Even Scientology didn't invade the offices of the BBC and people say they can walk through walls."'

Love it when Mormons and Scientologists are mentioned in the same breath.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 04:54PM

What were they thinking? Let's point out the one obvious, blatant lie by a top church official and complain that the journalist had the gall to air it?

Now all we have to do is wait for the letter of complaint to be published by the BBC, along with their well-documented rebuttal.

Sheesh, what a bunch of wankers...

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 07:53PM

mrtranquility Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Love it when Mormons and Scientologists are
> mentioned in the same breath.

hope you like this then
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBTd-Rk7LcI

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 05:09PM

I already have one TBM on Facebook claiming the show ‎was not a well-rounded, fair or balanced view of Mormonism.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 05:25PM

Elder Holland came across as a bumbling idiot and a liar.

And as for Michael Purdy who is meant to be head of PR...he was totally out of his depth. So much so I doubt he will be allowed in front of a camera ever again.

I guess the head honchos agree because they had a PR firm hand deliver a letter of complaint to the BBCspecifically citing the interview with Holland as an 'ambush'.
As McSweeney said, even the Church of Scientology didn't invade the BBC!

Oh, and hello to the Strengthening The Members Committee who monitor this board - did you like the high profile McSweeney gave you in the programme?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 05:38PM by Stumbling.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 05:41PM

-->Oh, and hello to the Strengthening The Members Committee who monitor this board - did you like the high profile McSweeney gave you in the programme?<--

<snort>

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 07:49PM

Stumbling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Elder Holland came across as a bumbling idiot and
> a liar.

Well you need to consider the real type of holiness that Holland
is caught up in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CiyrZd-kB0

> Oh, and hello to the Strengthening The Members
> Committee who monitor this board - did you like
> the high profile McSweeney gave you in the
> programme?

hope they like the Holland video too!

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 05:45PM

Sweeney said this would be available on Youtube or Hulu within days after the air date. We'll return and report.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 05:55PM

I hope so. Most BBC web programmes are blocked to those with I.P. addresses outside of the UK.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 05:57PM

First we get Marlin Jensen teling the world the LDS SCC is experiencing a mass exodus not seen since Kirtland days.

And now we get this BBC programme that asked the right questions!!!!

It's like Santa has come to Town unloading his XMAS presents to us all!!!

hahahaha My agony and very big dissapointed/total let down and con of two years wasted attending the LDS SCC has made this all worth it!

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 07:09PM

Gutted I missed it... but then I have iPlayer, because I live in the UK, so it's tommorow night's compulsory viewing! :)

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 07:39PM

Any links to this broadcast?

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: March 27, 2012 08:31PM

Thanks for your thoughts, Briggy!

Posted by: Elaine Dalton ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 03:30AM

All my TBM friends were up in arms at such misrepresentation of the church!!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 03:37AM

As were mine, so I asked 'what did they say that was untrue?'

Responses:
Joseph wasn't polygamous.
We have never done death oaths.
There's no such thing as the Strengthening the Members Committee.

I showed them, using LDS info and by replaying the interview with Holland that:
Joseph was polygamous
Death oaths did exist and Romney took them
The Strengthening the Members Committee is alive and well and operating today in such a secretive way that neither Holland nor Purdy were comfortable in a. admitting it, but did so b. talking about what it did.

*crickets*

Posted by: Elaine Dalton ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 04:06AM

Debating with a couple of guys now. They're saying that it isn't fair as it was very one sided and only interviewed ex mormons (duh they interviewed holland, can't get much more mormon than that).

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 10:02PM

They interviewed Holland, the official church spokesman Purdy, and a classroom of missionaries. One sided my azz!

Posted by: lost&forgotten ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 07:29AM

very interesting to see the different responses to it, mostly based on 'it wasn't fair' emotional responses.

Posted by: the outlander ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 08:19AM

Anyone interested in watching, here is the link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01f87w2

Posted by: Probitas est optimus ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 11:25AM

Does anyone know how we can watch this in the USA?

Date: March 28, 2012 11:29AM

Most BBC2 online video, other than their news programs, are not viewable outside of the UK. Has to do with program rights or something.

The only way people outside the UK will be able to see it is if someone inside the UK downloads the video and then posts on YouTube or other online streaming source. The video is only available through the first week of April.

Posted by: Probitas est optimus ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 01:34PM

Does anyone out there have a link on youtube or somewhere to view this thing?

Date: March 28, 2012 01:44PM

Someone posted a four minute clip but not the entire program. Someone in the UK will have to download the file and then post to YouTube. This is normal procedure for BBC, it's not blocked because the Mormons took legal action. I have a cousin who sings professionally (classical music) in London and occasionally her concerts are online on BBC2. I've never been able to view them with my US I.P. address. However, when it's only an audio program on BBC, then I'm usually able to listen.

Date: March 28, 2012 01:46PM

A friend in Finland sent me a link to a film he thought might interest me (the subtitles were in Swedish and I can read Swedish). It was not viewable outside of Finland, as I sent the link to Swedish friends and they could not see it either. Evidently in some cases the rights to the film only apply to the country where the website is hosted, so they have to block foreign viewers.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 09:07AM

My guess is that this may be the last time we see official LDS representation on major world networks unless the network agrees to carefully choreograph the interview. Mormon & Co. are not going to take this lightly.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 11:38AM

UGH - how can Mormons be mad at the words spoken by their own apostle? It's not like the BBC went behind his back and made stuff up. They asked Holland valid questions and he admitted that they had truth in them. Are they really that arrogant that they think they can't even be questioned?

Posted by: MartinTimothy ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 09:54PM

Brigham Young and the entire Mormon hierarchy would have been hanged in 1857, had the Mountain Meadows Massacre been prosecuted to its fullest potential, some one hundred and forty California bound Arkansas men and women, were slaughtered under a flag of truce, after Mormons decked out as Indians attacked their wagons.

Forty two white men were hanged at Gainesville Texas in 1862, for failing to support the Confederacy, the same year thirty eight Santee Sioux were hanged in Minnesota, after five American settlers were killed by Indians, whose case rested on their assertion that the settlers fired first, eighty five Irish traitors, were justly hanged in New Mexico in 1846,

They had deserted General Taylor’s command, and joined Santa Anna’s forces in Mexico, then crossing back into Texas, slew eleven of their former comrades from ambush, on the northern banks of the Rio Grande!

Fifty four Mormons took part in the Mountain Meadows Massacre, of whom thirty two were from England .. Brigham Y was up to his neck in it all, as well he received livestock and property looted from the wagons, John D Lee Mormon Bishop and adopted son of BY, was the single Mormon executed by firing squad in 1877, twenty yrs after the event!

Provo Utah is the site of at least one FEMA camp – picture inbred descendants of the massacre perpetrators, having their way with the thousands of internees, using the same rationale that fueled the MMM, that the victims are “Gentiles!”

Posted by: Veritas ( )
Date: March 28, 2012 10:03PM

LDS Inc.---massacred on TV by Brits dressed as Paiutes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.