Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 08:47PM

.....just made my feminist ex-mormon heart hurt. (I don't know her so I don't know if she was sweet or just the frantic orthodoxy kind). I thought it was Kind of an odd thing for an obituary in my opinion.

I hope she finds a kinder gentler world in the hereafter where she can make some of her own choices.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/saltlaketribune/obituary.aspx?n=guinevere-woolley-timpson&pid=156616153&fhid=4515

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Margie ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 09:26PM

Obit sounds like she might have been a polygamist wife.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 09:37PM

Colorado City - yep, that sounds like polygamist all right. What a shame that one of her great accomplishments was listed as her recognition of priesthood authority. Maybe she made great jam, or wrote beautiful poetry, or had a gift for storytelling ... and all it talked about was her ability to follow the priesthood and get others to do the same. I agree - I hope she is in a kinder, gentler world now.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 09:42PM

Check out the creepy sculpture at the mortuary where her funeral will be. It is most definitely an LDS theme in the most cheesy of ways.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 09:46PM

And I checked out the funeral home and it does a lot of FLDS services, although it claims to do all faiths.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 10:20PM

Her maiden name's Woolley. I wonder how closely related she was to the late, great profit $pencer Woolley Kimball. With polygamy, it seems you're pretty much related to everyone.

TG

Posted by: goatsgotohell ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 10:24PM

A lot of the comments had names with "Wayman" in them. The missionary that baptized me was an Elder Ben Wayman. Wonder if they are any relation? Or are there tons of Wayman's - like is that like meeting someone from NYC and assuming they know the one person you know there?

Posted by: vulturetamer ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 10:40PM

I'm more interested in the fact that she named her second son after her beloved deceased first husband, though he was a son from her second marriage. :) i would like to know how that conversation went down.

Posted by: goatsgotohell ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 10:52PM

A couple of things: Was she FLDS? Do FLDS do things the same as LDS? Was she sealed to husband #1? Did hubby #2 know he was only for life, not for eternity but he loved her enough to let her have his son for eternity? Or does he get the progeny to be sealed to him and his eternal hereafter spouse? Anyone know how that works? Do children of the second marriage for a woman belong to her and the original man she was sealed to, or do they belong to her current peter priesthood and his eventual eternal wife?

Posted by: asdfasdf ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 01:24AM

Definitely a polygamist - see this wiki article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Park_group

The Alma Adelbert Timpson was her husband as mentioned in the obituary.

Date: March 24, 2012 04:24AM

asdfasdf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Definitely a polygamist - see this wiki article -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Park_group
>
>
> The Alma Adelbert Timpson was her husband as
> mentioned in the obituary.

I have never seen an obit of a polygamist before. It never occured to me that a polgamist would place a public obit and be buried in a public cemetery. I assumed they would be buried on the compound, all hush hush. Learn something new every day! I find polygamy so repulsive yet I loved reading the obits.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 01:25AM

centennial park arizona is a flds sect. I just googled . sick waste of life

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 01:26AM

notice all of the comments are from centennial park. we should google them too and see what they look like

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 01:41AM

Notice that nothing was said of her own accomplishments. Only of who she married and what they did.

And two sons? I would be happy to have two fine sons. But were they enough for the world she lived in? Not if polygamy was part of it . . . Not even if mainstream Mormonism was part of it!

Posted by: fancypants ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 03:39AM

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/553283/Death--Alma-Adelbert-Timpson.html

I think this is her husband. She was one of his 3 wives.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 04:37AM

fancypants Wrote:
> http://www.deseretnews.com/article/553283/Death--A
> lma-Adelbert-Timpson.html
>
> I think this is her husband. She was one of his 3
> wives.

He is survived by his sister, Thelma Brown; his posterity includes 35 sons, 31 daughters, 13 foster children, approximately 347 grandchildren; and 151 great-grandchildren.

Am I reading this right, he had 66 kids?

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 03:56AM

Her obituary would be my worst nightmare.
I think i'm safe. There aren't any priesthood holders that can get me to go along with anything they have to say. I just have to make sure they don't get to write my obit.
I think I need to take this topic up with my kids. This lady has really made me think about that.

Who do you want to write your obit?
what do you want them to say?
Do they have the info they need?
Do they know what you would like said?
Are they willing to write a rough draft before you die?
Are they going to let ex's or others from the past put their 2cents in?
Seriously, you might want to put some thought into this. Also, if you've been temple endowed and you don't want to be buried in the get up, you need to put someone in charge to make sure your not resting in peace with your green apron.
IF you don't want your funeral to be the missionary discussions,you'd better take care of that now. Pick a nice funeral home, and don't let anyone in church leadership speak

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2012 03:59AM by Mia.

Date: March 24, 2012 04:39AM

Mia Wrote:
> Her obituary would be my worst nightmare.
> I think i'm safe. There aren't any priesthood
> holders that can get me to go along with anything
> they have to say. I just have to make sure they
> don't get to write my obit.
> I think I need to take this topic up with my kids.
> This lady has really made me think about that.
>
> Who do you want to write your obit?
> what do you want them to say?
> Do they have the info they need?
> Do they know what you would like said?
> Are they willing to write a rough draft before you
> die?
> Are they going to let ex's or others from the past
> put their 2cents in?
> Seriously, you might want to put some thought into
> this. Also, if you've been temple endowed and you
> don't want to be buried in the get up, you need to
> put someone in charge to make sure your not
> resting in peace with your green apron.
> IF you don't want your funeral to be the
> missionary discussions,you'd better take care of
> that now. Pick a nice funeral home, and don't let
> anyone in church leadership speak

I am also thinking about writing my own obit. I don't know yet what I will write but it will not be sentimental. I don't want my obit in the newspaper. If and when I figure out what I want my obit to say, I will post it on Find A Grave and then when I die, a member of my family can log in and enter my death date. I am a member there and enjoy volunteering to take pics of grave stones.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 04:11AM

I'm going to write my own, Mia.

My daughter yesterday asked me for an interview for her class on listening. It was "my most embarrassing moment" and her challenge was to listen and remember all three and then write them down.

About a quarter of the way through my second one, which I was enjoying telling enormously, she suddenly sat up straight and said, "What? Sorry- I got distracted thinking I needed a cigarette and where are they and how many I have left. Can you start over?"

I realize that my conversations with my children are 90% about them. I don't want my obituary to say something insipid, like "she finally found happiness in her later years living in California." I want it to say something about who I was--or think I was--LOL!

It goes with my other feminist philosophy--I call my children on Mother's Day early in the day and get it over with. Too many Mother's day waiting by the phone, metaphorically speaking.

Ever so often I joke with them and say, just don't try to hang your sweater on my shoulder. (I used to tease them when they were little by saying they thought I was a piece of furniture, or maybe a utility like running water).

Truth is that no one knows you, only you yourself know what is in the center of your thoughts on a daily basis.

Yeah, I will write my own and tell them what to do with my ashes (I am having them sprinkled on my son's grave since my name is already on a poem that I wrote on his headstone).

I guess my epitaph would be "Saving Money Til the Very End"

:)

Anagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.