Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tombs1 ( )
Date: March 18, 2012 03:11PM

I have posted about Ainge before,
But I am a huge sports fan and grew up in Phoenix watching Ainge play with the Suns when they were great. I wonder if Danny ever gave out book of Mormons and tried to share his beliefs with the likes of people like Larry bird, Clyde Drexler or Charles Barkley. How do you think somone like Charles Barkley would take it if Ainge tried converting him to Mormonism? I also know that Ainge and Barkley liked to play golf together.
But the question I have is how do you think somone like Barkley Larry Bird, ect would take it if Ainge was giving out bom's in the locker room after practice? I think Barkley's reaction would probably be prety funny. I also know that because Ainge is a rich and famous Mormon he can prety much play by his own set of rules when it comes to the Church. Well please let me know what you think. I might post more Danny Ainge threads in the future.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: March 19, 2012 02:57AM

I think a lot of pressure was put on John Stockton and Karl Malone to join the MORmON cult. They were both WAY TOO SMART to fall for that BS, even as their boss Larry Miller probably pushed it at times.

It takes a REAL dumb ass like Ty Detmer, or my male parent, and a MORmON bride thrown into the deal to make a MORmON conversion. just look at ( poor ) Thurl Bailey.

of course MORmON elite have their own special rules

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7--9bwIUIhQ

and to think my stupid ass MORmON male parent got busted going 20 mph over in a Orem school zone trying to make sure we got to the MTC on time, as if they would accept the missionary being dropped off, as if anyone could be that lucky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IybKqL62mWY

somehow Gordon Hinckley's mission paid off for him in a really big way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIkVNWHT-IA

and of course hinckley's exalted status makes it OK for him to look down on those who are not as glorious as hinckley is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuN_ZDJKkPo

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: March 19, 2012 01:55PM

I'm sorry to shatter your illusion, but Danny Ainge is just a jerk. I was at BYU at the same time as him and knew a couple of basketball players (whom I had played against in high school) and I never heard one redeeming story about Ainge. He was an ego-maniac and did whatever he wanted and got away with it.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: March 19, 2012 04:04PM

I knew his neice on my mission, and a moment didn't go by that she didn't point out her relation in an attempt to bolster your opinion towards her.

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: March 19, 2012 03:38PM

Seriously, how many mormons (not missionaries) are actively trying to convert their friends? My dh and I would always say that our 'missionary work' was the act of 'not being weird'...people would see that we were normal and have a favorable opinion of mormons. That was honestly the extend of our missionary work. We even told this strategy to a Mission Pres. in our area and he praised us for it. He said that if all mormons were just more 'normal', it would make missionary work a lot easier.

The funny thing is that we WERE weird just by believing all that crazy crap.

Posted by: nate ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 10:47PM

I am a mormon too and I for one would know a mormon b-ball player like him would share his testimony.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 03, 2013 11:42PM

I know the Ainge family quite well.

I know why Mormons fixate on the high-achievers in sports. Why do former Mormons? They're just people, looking out for their selfish self-interests. If Mormons want to give them that status, it reflects more on Mormons than the family.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2013 02:43AM by gentlestrength.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.