Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wegotproblems ( )
Date: March 15, 2012 11:31PM

On another post,aaron85 shares that Elder Jensen told him that he doesn't know why JS practiced Polyandry. Well, my relative has one up on Elder Jensen. The relative fervently believes that the reason JS instituted it was because it is true doctrine and practice of what is to come in the after life. You see, in celestial kingdom there will be SO many more righteous women than men so it is only necessary that polyandry exists because a lot of men will not end up being as righteous as their wives so while they may be married, in order for the woman to make it to the highest level she will have to be given in marriage to a more righteous husband who is on the same celestial level as the woman.

Ever heard rationale?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 15, 2012 11:52PM

Yep! That's what my father in law said.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 12:14AM

wegot,
Unless I'm missing something here, I think you mean polygamy. Polyandry means multiple husbands.

Date: March 16, 2012 12:21AM

No, I mean polyandry.

Man1 + Wife1 are Married on earth

Man1 and Wife1 die.

Wife1 goes to Highest level of Celestial kingdom.
Man1 goes to Telestial kingdom for frequenting RfM.

Wife1 is sealed to Righteous Man2 who is also married to NUMEROUS other women whose earth husbands were less valiant in life SO POLYANDRY is a necessary practice to fill the man/woman righteousness GAP; simply not going to be enough righteous men to go around up there. That is the gist of it.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 01:48AM

OK, I get it.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 05:19AM

But that's not really going to be polyandry. Cuz the wife1 will have a sealing cancellation from husband1 (destined for the telestial kingdom) before she seals to Mr. Celestial righteous husband2. So there are not multiple husbands involved.

Joseph Smith taught that a woman could trade up to a more righteous or worthy man, even if she was already sealed to a righteous man. And she could stay married for "time on earth" to the first righteous man, even tho sealed for eternity to Joe. Now that's polyandry.

But this teaching contradicts the teaching in D&C 132:26, which states that if a man and woman have been sealed by the priesthood, then even if the man becomes apostate, they are still sealed after death, and the man can be cleansed of sin in time and come forth in the first resurrection to receive exaltation with his wife. So there is no need for the wife to trade up in order to inherit the CK, just because her husband is temporarily unrighteous on earth.

Posted by: E2 ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 05:48AM

Basically filling women's innate need for hypergamy.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 09:16AM

And,.. because Celestial beings can visit lower kingdoms, wife1 can visit man1 in the terrestrial or telestial sphere.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: June 17, 2013 11:51PM

But can she do the deed with husband 1?

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 01:58AM

That is so divisive.

What a hurtful and disgusting rational. It's harmful to men, and if the gender roles were reversed it would be open season.

Posted by: bigred ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 05:39AM

I think that numerous men would be awesome! Just sayin'.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 01:34PM

You're thinking of the Gay Celestial Kingdom--same principle as the Mormon CK, but with better food, cocktails, and music.

Posted by: glass-3/4 full ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 10:27PM

Hervey Willets Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You're thinking of the Gay Celestial Kingdom--same
> principle as the Mormon CK, but with better food,
> cocktails, and music. I totally understand this just "crazy talk", but that got me thinking, what if there was a gay ward or stake? Can you just imagine how great the ward house would look? And the potlucks...

Posted by: Mittens Romney ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 07:49AM

"in celestial kingdom there will be SO many more righteous women than men..."

In which case, JS got it all wrong and women should have the priesthood, not men.

I wonder how things would have gone if Emma ran the church.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 12:46PM

He should have been asked

1. Why was Joe Smith practicing adultery.
2. Why was Joe Smith practising adultery with 'other' mens wives and making them adulterers too.
3. Why was Joe Smith threatening to destroy his own wife Emma beacuse she objected to his hideous adulterous behaviour.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 01:02PM

that Joseph Smith married Nancy Marinda Johnson, the wife of Apostle Orson Hyde?

Joseph married Nancy Marinda after sending Orson to Palestine to dedicate the Holy Land. So Orson obviously was 1) still acting as an apostle and 2) worthy enough to serve a mission. How exactly then is he not worthy enough to take his wife to the CK???

Or what about Henry Jacobs???

I've heard this logic before and while it make make some feel better it doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Date: March 16, 2012 01:22PM

excellent point

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 01:11PM

Good points badseed. The argument is one of these TBM spontaneous creations to get JS out of jail free.

It sounds like your relative is one of those folks who defends the church--no matter what. "My church right or wrong is always right."

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 06:13PM

BSville, ALL OF IT.

Mormon policies are shaped around what the members think/feel of things, NOT with God/HF as the center.

the thing about Blacks/African-Americans & the PH PROVES IT!:

"we don't know when / why..."

Blacks/PH was perhaps... the furthest-reaching decision-policy-conduct that Church did for 100 years - their ENTIRE HISTORY, FGS.... and they DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TO WRITE IT DOWN!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2012 06:21PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: heytherejules ( )
Date: March 16, 2012 06:23PM

wegotproblems Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You see, in celestial kingdom there
> will be SO many more righteous women than men so
> it is only necessary that polyandry exists because
> a lot of men will not end up being as righteous as
> their wives so while they may be married, in order
> for the woman to make it to the highest level she
> will have to be given in marriage to a more
> righteous husband who is on the same celestial
> level as the woman.
>
> Ever heard rationale?

I learned this at institute, but my ex also told me that it won't necessary happen. Don't know why, maybe he was just trying to calm me down, since I was pretty shocked by this "doctrine".

Posted by: Totally confused ( )
Date: June 16, 2013 09:29PM

I thought a woman. Old not ghetto the celestial k godmother without a husband. That being said, how will there be more women there than men?

Posted by: The 1st FreeAtLast ( )
Date: June 17, 2013 05:14AM

For many years, up to an including earlier this year, the LDS Church's summary for D&C 132 said: "Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, at Nauvoo, Illinois, recorded 12 July 1843, relating to the new and everlasting covenant, including the eternity of the marriage covenant, and also the plurality of wives (see History of the Church, 5:501–7). Although the revelation was recorded in 1843, it is evident from the historical records that the doctrines and principles involved in this revelation had been known by the Prophet since 1831."

It has since been slightly altered to: "Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, at Nauvoo, Illinois, recorded July 12, 1843, relating to the new and everlasting covenant, including the eternity of the marriage covenant and the principle of plural marriage. Although the revelation was recorded in 1843, evidence indicates that some of the principles involved in this revelation were known by the Prophet as early as 1831."

One of the "principles" "revealed" to JS (supposedly) is explained in verses 61 and 62, as follows:

61 And again, as pertaining to the law of the priesthood—if any man espouse [marry] a virgin, and desire to espouse another, and the first [wife] give her consent, and if he espouse the second, and they are virgins, and have vowed to no other man, then is he justified; he cannot commit adultery for they are given unto him; for he cannot commit adultery with that that belongeth unto him and to no one else.

62 And if he have ten virgins given unto him by this law, he cannot commit adultery, for they belong to him, and they are given unto him; therefore is he justified.

(Ref. https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/132.61-62?lang=eng)

In other words, Mormon priesthood holders, starting with JS, were to restrict their desiring to "virgins...vowed to no other man." However, he targeted the wives (non-virgins, each vowed to her husband) of at least 11 Mormon men. The list is at http://www.wivesofjosephsmith.org/ (look under the right column, “Husbands”).

Also, in the case of teenagers Fanny Alger, Lucy Walker, and other females whom JS made his wives, he did not seek “consent” from “the first”, i.e., Emma. Historian Todd Compton's ground-breaking book, "In Sacred Loneliness: The Plural Wives of Joseph Smith", contains the relevant details.

Violating "the doctrines and principles involved in this revelation...known by the Prophet since 1831" made JS, per his written "revelation", which subsequently became LDS scripture, an adulterer. According to D&C 76:103, adulterers will spend eternity in the hellish Telestial Kingdom. Mormon "prophets" since JS have repeatedly said that adultery is a sin next only to murder in terms of wickedness.

The so-called "Prophet of the Restoration" was anything but a "Saint"!

Posted by: elciz ( )
Date: June 17, 2013 10:04AM

It is wrong on so many levels. Why would a "perfect" being, "Heavenly Father", produce so many defective male children? Is he a bad parent? Maybe he's so busy fu%^ing around he has no time to spend with the boys that they don't get any parenting at all and thus end up in the telestial kingdom. I blame it on God, he must be a terrible parent.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: June 17, 2013 10:09AM

Women are more righteous, so there will be more of them. But, assuming we're talking about Marlin Jensen the former church historian, I'm pretty sure he knows the real reason.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: June 17, 2013 10:18AM

And brother Joseph knew that the husbands were unworthy....

Even though they were risking everything to go on missions...

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: June 17, 2013 06:52PM

for Joseph Smith. Meanwhile back in Nauvoo Joseph was busy dedicating his time to getting Hydes wife sealed to himself.

How is an Apostle on a mission not 'worthy' or 'righteous' enough for the wife that chose to marry him? Every time I look at this it just screams "religious leaders using his influence to get women."

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: June 17, 2013 10:21AM

So, there will be more women than men in heaven? Therefore women will need more than one husband? That's the rationale for Joseph Smith's practice of polyandry?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2013 10:21AM by Makurosu.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 17, 2013 03:53PM

I think what original poster wegotproblems is describing is (1) serial marriage (for time and some portion of eternity) followed by polygamy. The woman achieves the best match she can, and trades up at some point.

On another thread, a poster quoted JS as saying,"A man with ten wives is ten times as likely to gain exaltation to Godhood as a man with only one wife." Accepting this, would it be appropriate to seal as many women as possible as a kind of spiritual resume enhancement? Can men in the CK continue to seal females on their own, or are they dependent upon us Earthlings to do that for them?

Is there any teaching which tells us just how and when a man achieves godhood? Will it be only a small few? A lot? Every man who makes the CK, eventually? Does a man serve some kind of apprenticeship under Elohim, who finally assigns him a beginning planet to get started on?

Lastly, which gods rule black holes? Are these the outer darkness reserved for Lucifer? (a mock-thesis of my own). Is that where Xenu lives?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 17, 2013 06:24PM

And what's all this talk about smoothies in the testical kingdom? Will there be a great rubbing of torsos? A kind of sweaty unconsummated thrashing orgy? Maybe jello wrestling with carrots and bing cherry balls.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 17, 2013 09:34PM

Only thing I know for sure is that JS ain't in the CK. His toes are toasty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2013 09:34PM by rhgc.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: June 17, 2013 11:59PM

I don't know why you all are worried about this mess. Don't you know that the Lord will work it all out in the next life?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.