Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 06:50PM

"Mainstream Christianity" (whatever the hell that is) can be interpreted as polytheistic, too.

Take the doctrine of the trinity. Father, Son and Sparky the Wonder Spirit are all God, and all distinct beings. Yes, most Christian sects hold that they are only ONE Godhead, but these sects are at a loss to explain how.

During the Crusades, Islam regarded Christians as polytheists. Now, I think of Islam as being just as silly and irrational as any other religion, but I think Islam had it right on this one!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 06:58PM

That's what happens, hela, when you are so funny you make me laugh out loud and then I have to share what I was laughing at with my children.

Thanks for the smile today.;)

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 07:06PM

It's from author Christopher Moore, who wrote "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal".

Excellent book. Incredibly irreverent toward organized religion, but also incredibly deep and insightful about matters of ethics and the human condition.

Another tidbit from the book: Because Jesus was in China for his 18th Birthday, Jews around the world still celebrate his birthday by eating Chinese food!

Posted by: Rebecca ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 10:10PM

I mean, he really doesn't fit. Where did he come from, why no body, why was he not mentioned in the pre-existence (I don't think he was but I don't care nearly enough to look it up). Kind of like the gay uncle who keeps showing up, but we're all too polite to ask questions about him. But he seems kind of cool and makes you feel good, so we don't make too much of a fuss.

For those of you who are gay, I am too!

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 11:22PM

He was always the mind and spirit of God, but after much speculation and deliberation, James Talmage wrote "The Articles of Faith" and declared that the HG was a personage. Finally in 1921 it was made the official stance of the church.

Just as Joseph taught that God was a personage of glory and Jesus was the glory of God made manifest in the flesh, the Holy Ghost was not a seperate and singular entity until well after JSjr's death.

This makes it hard to see how denying the Holy Ghost is such a sin, unless you remember that the real meaning is to reject and deny God and the Atonement of Christ.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 11:31PM

Always swooning over anything even slightly offensive. I imagine her just shouting, "good heavens!!!" over every little thing and then fainting because even the word damn is offensive and "drives the spirit away."

Posted by: augiedogie ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 10:06PM

Also, when Jesus was dead, was there a duaity instead of a trinity?

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 11:25PM

There isn't a lot of difference between the Hellenistic religion of Zeus and the lesser gods and Catholics and their saints and archangels. They may not be called "Gods", but they serve the same functions as the lesser gods of polytheistic religions.

In fact, many Roman god statues were rechristened as Christian saints after Constantine. Roman Catholicism is a lot closer to Roman religion than it is to the pure Jerusalem Christianity of 1stC AD.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 11:28PM

It isn't so much that Mormons have a different idea of the trinity, but that Mormons believe that there are many gods and that they too can become gods and create worlds and spirit children without end just as God does.

This may also include the speculation that if we become gods, we will have one of our children perform the Atonement for our particular world. These ideas, though unsaid anymore, were some of the major objections of the rest of christianity and go far beyond just having a different view of God.

Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 11:31PM

The character "Q" use to do the 3 in 1 thing all the time. If hollywood can imagine it I am sure Billion of Christians can imagine it as well.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.