Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: flipper ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 06:34PM

I've heard the theory put forward that Joseph Smith may have started out in Mormonism with a conscious intent to deceive, but that over time, through some quirk of human psychology, he probably came to sincerely believe that Mormonism is true and that he was a true prophet of God. Of course, this would have been a state of self deception. But I think that such a situation could be possible, whether or not it was actually the case with Smith.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 06:38PM

The theory does make sense and wouldn't be the first time in history someone believed in their own lie. On some level I would have to think he really did know he was deceiving. I guess we will never know

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 07:26PM

>he probably came to sincerely believe that Mormonism is true...

Another possibility is that he began by believing Nephites, etc.
were true -- eventually learned that they were not -- and began
to believe in himself.

What that entailed (believing in himself) I shudder to think about.

Uncle Dale

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 07:33PM

level. They can't imagine that they will wake up the morning after their due date and have to apologize.

There is one theory that he was getting ready to announce that he was the Holy Ghost in the flesh, come to Earth that way just as God's son lived as Jesus.

It's hard to know how far gone his sense of reality was.

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 08:24PM

Ready? I believe he thought he was actually doing a great thing and he may have believed he was chosen to do it.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 10:25PM

I think he was a treasure seeking seer stone looking con man til the day he died. Always coming up with a new con like the BOA.

It seems pretty obvious he "translated" the papyrus with his rock in his hat rather than with his "great" knowledge of the Egyptian language.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 12:49AM

We don't have to speculate about this. We have his own words as to what he thought about himself and what he did. Let's hear Praise To/From The Man:

"Come on! ye prosecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet...When they can get rid of me, the devil will also go." (History of the Church, Vol. 6, p. 408, 409)

Posted by: quoth the raven nevermo ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 01:55AM

He knew his translations were fake. He knew there was no first vision because he didn't tell anyone about it or bother to write about it at the time. I think that was extremely narcissistic and got to the point where he could not believe that he could ever be wrong or that he would not be granted whatever he desired. Whatever was in his head was of divine origin-- he was no longer a man but a conduit for the devine. I don't know the psychological terms but I think he went over the edge in some ways.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 02:28AM

none of it ever came from God.

A poster made a good point last week: Joseph Smith must have not believed in God at all--otherwise he would have feared God's wrath for being a false prophet lying, taking God's name in vain, being an adulteror, stealing people's money, etc.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 02:33AM

It was the only real core belief he ever had--and he was right.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2010 02:37AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Chonerhead ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 03:25AM

In one simple word..... NO! Joseph Smith was a grifter and the ONLY thing he got right in his life was that all churches were not true.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.