Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 05:27PM

http://www.ourhollowearth.com/ourhollo/p1.html

It seems like there are Mormon connections to every fringe movement out there. I guess one parallel reality leads to another?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 05:47PM

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 06:06PM

Dog that was stupid! Good effing grief! Thats some serious brain damage goin on there!

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 07:26PM

My dad used to teach me that nonsense when I was a kid.

Date: November 24, 2010 07:37PM

Posted by: Gwylym ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 08:35PM

I remember being taught when I was a kid that the 10 tribes would come out of the north and it was surmised that they lived in a hole in the earth up north.

Talk about nuttier than a fruitcake...

Posted by: scuba ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 09:34PM

I was also taught in Seminary/Institute that the lost tribes of Isreal were underground under the North Pole lead by St. John, the one that supposedly never died. I think that idea came from James E. Talmage's Articles of Faith:

“They determined to go to a country ‘where never man dwelt,’ that they might be free from all contaminating influences. That country could only be found in the north. Southern Asia was already the seat of a comparatively ancient civilization; Egypt flourished in northern Africa; and southern Europe was rapidly filling with the future rulers of the world. They had therefore no choice but to turn their faces northward. The first portion of their journey was not however north; according to the account of Esdras, they appear to have at first moved in the direction of their old home; and it is possible that they originally started with the intention of returning thereto; or probably, in order to deceive the Assyrians, they started as if to return to Canaan, and when they crossed the Euphrates and were out of danger from the hosts of Medes and Persians, then they turned their journeying feet toward the polar star.” (In James E. Talmage, The Articles of Faith, p. 512.)

Of course, James E. Talmage also said in 1916, “The ten tribes shall come; they are not lost unto the Lord; they shall be brought forth as hath been predicted; and I say unto you there are those now living—aye, some here present—who shall live to read the records of the Lost Tribes of Israel, which shall be made one with the record of the Jews, or the Holy Bible, and the record of the Nephites, or the Book of Mormon, even as the Lord hath predicted” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1916, p. 76; emphasis added).

I guess he was just speaking as a man when he said that last one. Or maybe the three Nephites were present at that Conference so he was actually right?

http://institute.lds.org/manuals/old-testament-institute-student-manual-2/ot-in2-04-2kg-d.asp

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 08:57PM

"As I looked I began to appreciate the reason for the strangeness of the landscape that had haunted me from the first with an illusive suggestion of the bizarre and unnatural—THERE WAS NO HORIZON! As far as the eye could reach out the sea continued and upon its bosom floated tiny islands, those in the distance reduced to mere specks; but ever beyond them was the sea, until the impression became quite real that one was LOOKING UP at the most distant point that the eyes could fathom—the distance was lost in the distance. That was all—there was no clear-cut horizontal line marking the dip of the globe below the line of vision..."

--David Innes, "At The Earth's Core" by Edgar Rice Burroughs (1914)

Posted by: Diane ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 09:01PM

When I was little and Mormons still had fun, we had a ward movie night quite often. One move we watched was Lost Horizon and it was whispered around the room that it was really all about one of the lost ten tribes.

Dum dum dum dum dum.

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 09:46PM

I mean seriously guys, I think you would realize this with how hip you guys all are to the latest on science and stuff. It should be obvious that a hollow Earth is the way it really is what with all the evidence, I firmly be..bee......ROFLMAO.

Date: November 24, 2010 10:33PM

Fuck that shit. Our planet isn't some cheap chocolate rabbit you get at Easter.

Posted by: Gwylym ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 11:15PM

I always knew that Edgar Rice Burroughs books were true.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 02:40AM

Not to mention the incomparable Dejah Thoris. ;)

I particularly loved the optimistic claims of the results that will occur after the hollow Earth is discovered.

A new theory of gravity will be formulated which will result in space travel! And zero energy (or something like that).

Posted by: Yewt102 ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 02:00AM

the hollow earth thing is a pretty common idea amongst the occult. I always figured that mustve been where Jo Smith got it

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 02:08AM

http://www.good.is/post/science-rules-antarctic-glacier-has-five-story-blood-red-waterfall-of-primodial-ooze/

JK, people. I did think of the Mormons and the Hollow Earth, when I read this article.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 02:23AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.