Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 08:36PM

"Every child of God can commune in prayer with Him. No Exhortation to pray has had as great an effect on me as have the feelings of love and light that come with answers to humble prayers."
-President Henry B. Eyring
Ensign, Febuary 2012,4

Anyone care to translate just what the heck he is talking about here? Real world translation?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 09:50PM

I think it translates that Henry B. Eyring needs his senility pill. Sorry, but it makes no sense to me.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 10:27PM

It would seem that the good feelings that come with an answered prayer are a much stronger incentive to pray than all the exhortations, lessons and reminders one could hear or read.

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 02:13AM

Translation: no exhortation to speak with big words and tortured phrasing has had as great an effect on me as have the feelings of self-adulation and superiority that come with speaking with big words and tortured phrasing.

You're welcome.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 02:23AM

Posted by: holistic ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 01:44PM

Excellent translation. I got the same ring out of that too. Cracks me up.

Posted by: xombie ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 02:15AM

i swear they use big words just to confuse the lay. wait a few weeks and they'll be repeating said words in everyday cultspeak as if it's the hip new trend.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 02:19AM

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 02:22AM

Oh yea, he is the crier. I used to fall for his humility crap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2012 02:22AM by jazzskeeter.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 06:16AM

Eyring's words may be short on real meaning & or profundity because they are simply evasive double talk from someone who really wants to rob ppl. there is a certain danger in listening to deceitful creeps posing as holy men.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzMMCA3mmGk

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 08:47AM

For me, it's all about those feelings again, which Mormons so dearly love to talk about and rely on. In this case, "Prayer makes me feel good and I feel even greater when the thing I prayed about actually comes true. Get on that prayer high folks!"

"Don't pray because I'm asking you to. Pray because it feels so darn good!"

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 09:19AM

Translation:

"I'm prefectly aware that science can not and has not demonstrated that prayer has any real-world effects. Through scientific studies, prayer has been shown to have no more statistical effect on healing people than does any other placebo, and in some studies it actually harms people to know that they are being prayed for. I personally can not demonstrate that prayer has had any statistically identifiable real-world effect on my life, and I imagine the same holds true for all of you as well. However, I want to make it very clear that the point of praying is not to receive a real-world benefit. The point of praying is for you to feel good inside - you know, that peace that comes when you clear your mind and meditate. I testify that if you bring yourself often to this focused state of mind, known in some circles as hypnotic susceptibility, then you too will feel love and light, and find that you will more easily be convinced that the church is true."

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 12:34PM

Another reason to feel guilty: "I don't get that feeling that Eyring is so moved to cry about when I pray just as I don't feel special feeling in the temple or when I pray about the BofM. What is wrong with me?"

Posted by: cl2 ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 12:37PM

You mean not a leader's or a priesthold holder's? You mean my prayer is as good or better than their's? Not what they usually say. You mean those flowery prayers said in church meetings aren't any better than a humble prayer?

I always thought it was bullsh*t that somehow a priesthold leader had a more direct line with God than I did for my own needs.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.