Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 06:22AM

Scientists have just discovered two new species of dinosaur in Utah.

How do dinosaurs fit into the Mormon belief system?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 06:29AM

hey somebody has to lead the church and they have more experience.

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 09:46AM

presence of a GA - because you never know when one will be awake.

I was always taught that the Dino-bones were from yander planets, and when the earth was created from various bits of matter - some of the big planetary size chunks that made the world had some dino bones in them.

or

Satan planted them.

or

"We don't know how long the earth was in existence before Adam and Eve were sent down.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 07:14AM

At one time Brigham and others were saying that the earth was made up of materials from other planets which contained dinosaur bones. This is the only way that zillion yearold remnants could appear on a 6000 year old planet.

Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 07:17AM

JoD3:360 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At one time Brigham and others were saying that
> the earth was made up of materials from other
> planets which contained dinosaur bones. This is
> the only way that zillion yearold remnants could
> appear on a 6000 year old planet.

and makes no sense when you think about the resurrection.

Posted by: augiedogie ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 09:56PM

I live in a nonmo state and once had a mo student in class (he didn't know I was exmo); we were discussing dinosaurs once, things like how long they lived, why they died, etc., and he suddenly said that crap about them living on other planets. The other nevermo students looked at him as if he was the thing from another planet.

Date: November 24, 2010 07:18AM

Jon Wrote:
> How do dinosaurs fit into the Mormon belief
> system?

like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickleus/5161359276/

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 07:27AM

Peter, James and John put them there when the "went down" to confuse us.

Ron

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 07:45AM

While at BYU, one of my Branch Presidents was Dinosaur Jim Jenson. I asked him that very question. He told me first that there had been many religion professors and General Authorities (BRM) who were opposed to even having him and his department at BYU.

He told me that science was taught in one building and religion in another, and the two were taught separately for a reason. Specifically that they could not be reconciled.

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 09:49AM

Oh, so it is like fiction and non-fiction having different sections in the library. ;-)

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 07:51AM

Quite frankly, the people who wrote the original bible stories (or the stories that influenced them) really had no concept of numbers as high as the millions and billions. Even if they wanted to, they couldn't relate something like that to us.

I don't think that is proof that God is false... I think its proof that a few thousand years ago, who ever was trying to write / translate genesis, and or recording his vision, instead of saying,

"A long time ago, and BOY I mean a long.......... Long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long,long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long time ago...."

He just said, "Oh to heck with it! Nobody's that old, who the hell is ever gonna know? God's all powerful, so lets just say he formed the world in 7 days. Uses up a lot less scroll space."

So some guy ages ago was lazy. Is that any reason to trash the entire existance of God? :)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2010 07:53AM by melissa3839.

Date: November 24, 2010 08:16AM

melissa3839 Wrote:
> So some guy ages ago was lazy. Is that any reason
> to trash the entire existance of God? :)

if you mean YHWH, then yes, when that "guy" was supposedly writing under the inspiration of the almighty YHWH.

the issue isnt the "7 days", its that mankind and animal creations began in the garden of eden 6000 years ago, and that there was no death until after they left. dinosaurs didnt die 6000 years ago, they died about 65 MILLION years ago.

and if you try and say that dinosaur bones were apart of existing matter that formed the earth, then it would make no sense according to the doctrine of the resurrection:
"And the end shall come, and the heaven and the earth shall be consumed and pass away, and there shall be a new heaven and a new earth.

"For all old things shall pass away, and all things shall become new, even the heaven and the earth, and all the fulness thereof, both men and beasts, the fowls of the air, and the fishes of the sea;

"And not one hair, neither mote, shall be lost, for it is the workmanship of mine hand" (D&C 29:23-25)

shown in practice, by the doctrine that jesus' spirit reunited with his old dead body. not to mention that the earth will be resurrected and not used to form new earths. so its a double doesnt-make-sense example.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2010 08:27AM by Nick Humphrey.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 08:02PM

melissa3839 Wrote:
> Quite frankly, the people who wrote the original
> bible stories (or the stories that influenced
> them) really had no concept of numbers as high as
> the millions and billions. Even if they wanted
> to, they couldn't relate something like that to
> us.
>

And you know this, quite frankly, how?

Sunday School?

I think history shows that the Sumerians had quite a bit of math. The Egyptians and Assyrians and Akkadians too. As did the Indians. And of course, anyone can say, "A very long time", instead of simply "one day". Any language can express this much.

But I agree with you that just because the Bible is a piece of error-filled weird, doesn't disprove the possibility that god exists.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 09:09AM

I too was always told the thing about the fact that the Earth was put together from a bunch of older, crumbled planets and that it was those earths which actually had the dinosaurs. Not ours.

For some reason though, I never thought to question why those planets didn't go on to their own Celestial glory, like ours is supposedly scheduled to do. Especially since Earth is supposed to be one, if not the most wicked planet that ever existed, so if we can go on to glory some day, then surely the dinosaur planets would too.

Date: November 24, 2010 09:39AM

Greyfort Wrote:
> Especially since Earth is
> supposed to be one, if not the most wicked planet
> that ever existed, so if we can go on to glory
> some day, then surely the dinosaur planets would
> too.

and my question is "compared to what other planets with similar life forms?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2010 09:40AM by Nick Humphrey.

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 09:52AM

I guess we should stop complaining, as the god of that world must have really been a jerk, because his whole creation failed.

Posted by: Beavis Christ ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 09:52AM

Because they masturbated and didn't tell their bishops.

Posted by: piper ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 09:58AM

Interesting...I recently went to a museum with my TBM brother. He didn't question anything about the dinosaurs, I was waiting for the denial as we stood in front of the huge T-Rex...nothing. I was almost disappointed as it would have been a great chance to open up a conversation about the absurdity of Mormonism, but he seemed to accept everything as it was presented in front of us. Maybe he had never been told about the Young Earth theory? I have noticed a pattern in my family, while TBM, they seem to have developed an ability to compartmentalize anything that conflicts with Mormonism separately from the more nutty Mormon beliefs. In their brains, they don't think of the two simultaneously, and so they don't have to process the conflict.

That or else here is a great(please read the sarcasm) theory for the apologists:

On the fifth day, God created birds in the air and fish in the sea. He was then called away on his lunch break to hear the plan of Satan and Jesus' plan. While he was away, evolution started.

On the sixth day, he created dinosaurs and other animals. (Evolution continued whenever God blinked.) On God's lunch break on this day, he had to take a long lunch to break up the war in Heaven, and deal with casting Satan away, etc. When God returned from lunch, millions of years had passed and the dinosaurs had all died. "Oh, well," thought God. So he then created Man.

So there you go. Evolution+Creationism+pre-existence. lol

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 12:23PM

My seminary teacher, mind you someone who does not have to necessarily tell you correct church doctrine, told us that God's days where not necessarily man's days. She said that what seemed like a day to God could feel like millions of years to mankind.

So I was never taught that the church believed in the 6,000 year old nonesense.

Does the church have an official stance on the age of the earth?

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 01:14PM

And it was 6000 years old from Joseph F. Smith.

Then, that turned to shit because it is beyond stupid. Now they refuse to talk about anything like this because it's not "pertinent to your salvation."

You'll get varying advice from different seminary/institute instructors. At college I had two different institute instructors say the opposite things. One still held to the Young Earth "theory" and the other just flat out said, "whatever science says is probably right."

Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 12:39PM

I'm sure they explain it all in there

http://umnh.utah.edu/dinos

http://umnh.utah.edu/home

certainly the SLC boys would not have let Gentiles set this up to teach false doctrine to the youth....and right under Tommy's nose???

I, for one, am appalled.

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 08:32PM

I was taught in Sunday School and seminary that nobody knew exactly how old the earth was and Adam and Eve could have 'arrived' at any time. Basically the Dino's were here before they were. I'm pretty sure that was my teachers'personal opinion. Not found in any manuals.

Were my ward Sunday School teachers heretics?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2010 08:35PM by verdacht.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 08:51PM

According to the Mo bible, yes they are heretics.

Mo doctrine, as found in their bible notes and back pages (topical guide, dictionary etc.), claims that there was no death anywhere on the earth prior to Eve's fall.

So, no extinct dinos prior to the garden. Nor any evolution either, logically, as death, and a changing environment, is required for natural selection to occur.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 10:02PM

Which ones, those in Salt Lake City or reptiles from eons ago??

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.