Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon for this one ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 07:51PM

I drink too much. I go through phases, but the main reason I drink is because it relieves boredom. But I've noticed I come up with the most ridiculous reasons!

It was a rough day at work
It was a good day at work
I had to drive a long way
It's Friday!
It's Saturday!
Oh no, I have to work tomorrow!
It's halfway through the week!
I got a lot done today
Etc...

I think I'll cut way back, exercise and fight the desire to drink, but keep a journal of my daily reason why I would have...

It will give me a good reason to laugh at myself :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 08:01PM

Understand, Anon for this one.

For me, some decades ago, anything and everything--good, bad, ugly, it didn't matter--was a reason to drink. I, too, found it helpful to have something else I did instead.

Exercise is a great idea. So is keeping a journal.

I also painted, wrote, tried needlepoint, read books, dabbled in gourmet cooking, and gardened.

Good luck to you.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 08:41PM

Many medical studies have proven conclusively that LIGHT drinking (one glass of wine per day) is healthier than abstaining. The reason behind this is that the number one killer for older people in the USA is heart disease, and a person who is a light drinker has less risk of dying from heart disease. Of course that is not a permanent guarantee of no heart disease, but it does result in a measurable increase in longevity.

When a person's drinking increases from light to medium to heavy then the drinking starts causing other health problems and that shortens life expectancy. The formula for optimum health is to keep your drinking in the light range.

I have done that for many years (I am now 70) and I am still in very good health. Of course I could be dead tomorrow, but at least I have made it this far and still have good health.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 09:05PM

"I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me."

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 10:04PM

Date: February 19, 2012 06:32AM

matt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has
> taken out of me."

No need to worry, Don I embrace it for what it is. The words of a clever man who served as a soldier, a journalist, an author and a statesman.

Posted by: wellsville ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 10:45PM

Makes fat girls look prettier

Posted by: Chic in the heart of Moville ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:55PM

I'm not to far from Wellsville, should come smack you in the forehead.

Date: February 19, 2012 10:39AM

wellsville Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Makes fat girls look prettier

Larger ladies **ALWAYS** look pretty, you cad!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 11:11AM

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 01:59PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:16PM

I like beer.....and few other libations....

Posted by: yin ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:22PM

I am a non-drinker, and have never imbibed, but that new study has me considering adding a glass of wine to my diet every once in a while.

Is it weird that I'm a little nervous to have any alcohol? Is that the results of a lifetime in the church still clinging onto me?

Posted by: outofthere ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:36PM

Not weird, yin. We were heavily programmed against it. I was scared to death when I tried my first drink. It gave a very little buzz, and I thought, "Really, that was it huh?" And I thought it was quite gross tasting. Not so interested, but also, not terrifying either.

Posted by: Greg ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:40PM

Not weird, but sure it could be remnants of the programming.

It seemed strange at first when I started drinking beer, now I
love it, and since I work hard and get lots of exercise, it doesn't seem to negatively affect my health, and it's a nice way to help unwind after a hard day, from time to time.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:59PM

I know several groups that claim if you drink more then three times a week, then you are an alcoholic. This of course is utter cow paddies. What is more important is how much you drink in a setting.

I generally have one drink every everything, both to relax and because moderate consumption of beer and wine have been shown to be good for you. I seldom get drunk

Now if you are getting drunk multiple times a week, you have a problem. In that case you need to do something about it.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:09AM

Just like over eating.
If you are overeating more than three times a week, you need to take a look at it.
I wish the same rules applied to too much exercise.

Being fat and drunk 7 days a week doesn't look good on anyone. Not even ex-mormons.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:26AM

I suggest, you don't have to give up the joy of a drink. just drink less. i'll have a few shots of vodka once a month. mabey another day a glass of wine. it's good and healthly for you, and no, you will not be an alchoholic. never get drunk more than once a week at the most.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:31AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 10:10AM

You don't need a "reason" to drink. Modest alcohol consumption, even daily, does no harm for most people. Run it by your M.D. if you have any questions.

I'm single, live by myself, and have for years. I come home from work and pour myself a glass or two of beer or wine. It's one of the pleasures of being an adult. I wake up the next morning fit for work or other activities. I don't get drunk or hungover. My M.D. has cleared my level of alcohol consumption.

You have to be responsible about alcohol consumption, but it need not be demonized.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:20PM

My M.D. is a TBM...so that ain't gonna work....

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 01:32PM

bummer

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 10:25AM

I like beer.

Other than that, I have no reason.

Timothy

Date: February 19, 2012 10:41AM

Timothy, the brewers depend on us to do our Sacred Duty as Pastors in the Beer Church!

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:36PM

1) I like being lightheaded (as opposed to "drunk". I don't like drinking to excess)

2) I like sticking my middle finger up to TSCC

3) I like being socially normal and not the weird outcast

4) I like the taste

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:48PM

I was having few drinks here in Park City, 4-5 days in a row, waking up in the morning with heart racing, my wife tells me to stop this shit or I'll get sick.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:52PM

It allows me to relax.

It allows me to share friendship with people freely and open my narrow mind a crack.

It allows me to feel flirtatious with my kind wifey.

It eases that uneasy feeling or akwardness in new social settings.

It bonds me to my family and friends and community when done in celebration.

It is a multigenerational belief that a toast and words spoken from the heart are an important part of being a mature adult in many cultures.

It is a blessing to drink.

Posted by: crowbone ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 02:21PM

I, too, drink lightly: not everyday; usually no more than one or two beers in a sitting. Occassionally I drink a little more than that during social encounters, but not often and I really don't like to be drunk. The last time I drank a little too much was mostly because of the higher alcohol content of out-of-state (i.e., not Utah approved) beer. My wife, however, actually likes it when I drink a little too much--I guess I'm a bit of a ham when that happens. . . less polemics and more fun.

Bottom line is I really like a good beer. One of my favorites is pale ale. (Or like I enjoy saying, Pay Lay Ale--does anyone recognize that term?) If you live in Utah, Full Suspension or Cutthroat are great pales. I like those beers so much that I wouldn't even care if there was no "buzz" with them--although the light buzz is good, too. Mild IPAs are also good. If you're ever in So. Cal., go to "Taps" in Corona and have their IPA--very tasty. Also, if you are near a Wing Nutz try Dead Horse Amber Ale or Wyld (which is an extra pale ale). And, as always, enjoy responsibly.

I am not a paid endorser of any of the beers mentioned above. :)

Posted by: braq ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 04:33PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2012 04:34PM by braq.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 04:42PM

I'm drinking today because I'm single. Yesterday I was in a good relationship.

Tomorrow I'll be fine though.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.