Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 01:43AM

I consider myself recovered from Mormonism because things that used to cause me anger/pain now make me laugh.

What sayest thou?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 02:01AM

happy, successful, PTSD-free, and never giving a thought to Mormonism.

Probably, I will have to move out of Utah to achieve that state-of-mind.

How, how, HOW are you able to laugh at their lies, gossip, business con's, child abuse, sexism, racism, elitism, and polygamy? I think those things are more evil than funny....

Well, their underwear is funny...LOL!

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 11:57AM

I had been lurking on this board for a while and not thinking anything was funny. Then someone posted something about "doing th hokey pokey at the veil" and I thought that was the funniest thing I had ever heard.So I started to be able to laugh at some of the stupidity that is mormonism. But definately I am still very angry about all the lies and coverups and mind control the mormon church is responsible for. But I am so glad most of you can laugh at it,because that helps me to also see the humor in this damn cult.

Posted by: anointed one ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 06:46AM

I still get angry at the lies, the arrogance, the refusal to discuss important issues in a reasonable manner. I am especially angry at seeing my grandchildren "brainwashed".

After several years now I don't know whether I will ever be fully "recovered". My take is that I was "abused" most of my life by a lying organization and I was (unknowingly) one of the abusers. To now watch my own children continue that abuse (and refusing to enter any discussion with me on the truthfulness or otherwise of the church) causes me pain.

My only coping strategy is to distance myself from it and get on with other positive and meaningful relationships and interests in my life. Such hypocrisy that the church that advocates "families can be together forever" and stands for truth in all things can actually destroy families ( as we see many times on this board) and is totally against truth when it sees that truth as inconvenient.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 07:30AM

.... I don't think anyone can ever fully "recover" from being in a cult.

I believe "heal" is the more appropriate term. Eventually, the wounds close and the pain subsides, but the scars will always be there as a reminder.

Timothy

Posted by: anointed one ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 08:40AM

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 09:00AM

Was mentally out a few years prior. More than enough time to heal. The stupid stuff the cult and its members continue to do is always laughable, but you can bet your bottom dollar crap like Prop H8 gets my dander up!

Its okay to be angry. Its okay to channel that anger into positive actions such as protesting or speaking out against tyranny and oppression. What's not okay, at least in my mind, is to "make peace" with what is, has been and continues to be harmful.

This is the Gospel according to Timothy .... To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of us all.

Timothy

Posted by: Nebularry ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 11:49AM

Date: November 24, 2010 10:33AM

rather than actual enjoyment or mirth. Because twenty plus years have passed, I have lived to see the perpetrators of this hoax reap what they have sewn. Also, all my kids are free (that's huge). Some relationships could not be saved--they couldn't forgive me for raising them in a cult. I completely understand that and the price that Mormonism pays for ruining my boys' lives is that I am here supporting you and I am a lifelong missionary preaching the truth about exploitation under the guise of religion.

Compared to how it was in those boom days of growth just before the internet, Mormons are not taken seriously as a religion. I loved the thread where the poster points out the diminuitive spiritual stance of Mormonism as represented by the worldwide respect of the person or persons carrying "the fire" in modern times. Anyone? Anyone?

No one asks the Mormon leader for their opinion on anything BECAUSE THEY ARE RIGHTFULLY SEEN AS KOOKS. No pope visits them, no presidents consult them, the GA's are Yertle the Turtles, every lying one of them. I left the church immediately after the "revelation" to allow "the Negro" to have the priesthood. Since then, I have had a ringside seat to see the Mormon Church writhing like the Terminator and struggling to rise again, looking uglier and uglier with each recovery. Here's just a few:

*The Negro, whom God justifiably penalized, gets the priesthood due to 50+ pending lawsuits creating a revelation that Spencer W. Kimball then denies.
*Mark Hofmann fools God's annointed by selling them forged documents harmful to Mormonism and exposes the ridiculous explanation "salamander means angelic visitor." The fact that they believe historic letters which claim their founder was a criminal, spiritualist, fornicator, (which means they already knew) compared to the modern prophets inability to tell a hot dog from a steak.
*The original Egyptian documents are found from which Joseph Smith translated the Book of Abraham and they fell into the hands of his enemies. Mormons rejoice that proof has arrived and everyone else rolls their eyes. But Mormons were right, it was just not the kind of proof they expected.
*Spencer W. Kimball proves his lack of inspiration by expecting married couples to welcome him under their sheets with his finger-wagging ban on oral sex. Makes TSCC a laughing stock.

The BYU Department of New World Archeology is ordered closed because there are no artifacts, well, ya gotta smile. And when archeologist's report that their professional standing is damaged by having BYU on their resume, well I do laugh out loud while feeling sad for the individuals struggling to earn a living with a tattoo saying "fake" on their forehead.

Take comfort all, things are definitely moving in the right direction when the so-called prophet gets on TV and basically says, "duh...I am so ashamed of what we teach, I won't even cop to knowing it."

And more good times ahead. BTW, when old Mormon friends want to know what's "really" going on, they call me and I refer them to RfM for their Church News! Time for coffee and could I have some kahlua in that, after all, I am so thankful to be rid of This Church...Happy Thanksgiving all!

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 10:51AM

and be just FINE knowing that they still are being duped? It isn't possible.

"Recovery" is an ongoing process. Some of us here are past (or even long past) the initial, worst period of it. But to not care that others still are being deceived would be an unrealistic, even unhealthy expectation; and is not part of "recovery" in my book.

On the other hand, if we have found happiness in our own personal Exmo lives, then we have reached a relative degree of recovery that is possible.

Most of us also feel a strong desire to assist those who are beginning to question, to learn the truth and gain their freedom from the cult, as we have. RfM allows that useful and healing exchange; so here we are!

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 11:01AM

When, after spending a great deal of time on this forum, you leave for an extended period of time and then think one day "wonder what all those guys are up to now?", and you come back for a peek.

Ron

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 11:16AM

act was a 'sin'.

I realized I no longer had no concept of 'sin'.

I'd been analyzing my choices in situations that needed ethical decisions. I picked actions depending on what their impact was on others and on my own conscience.

If I made a bad choice, it was stupid and shortsighted. It sure wasn't a 'sin'. I really don't know what makes something sinful anymore, and the same for confession and repentance.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 12:11PM

I'm not recovered yet. I'm afraid to speak openly to most of my family, I haven't told the bishop or sent in my resignation. I just haven't gone for a couple of years.

I suppose I'd be fully recovered when the LDS church feels about like a news story about any other religion.

Right now I'm "anti-mormon", news stories piss me off. I read things hear and save them to my hard drive for future reference. I don't do that for stories I read about other religions. I'm actively against the LDS church, I'm not actively against any other religion, though I think they are all a bunch of BS and they're bad for you.

It seems to me a bit like dating and being in a relationship. When dating as an adult, there were some women that I dated and dropped, or was dropped, soon after. It didn't hurt, it didn't bother me. There were others that I dated long enough to be in a relationship with. Those hurt more. I had more invested.

I didn't like being LDS, I was born into it, and had to do it as a kid, and as an adult I thought I'd go to hell if I didn't grit my teeth and do it. I had a lot invested in it, so it hurt more. Similar to a relationship with a woman that I had a lot invested with. It hurt to find out it wasn't what I thought it was (though now it's a great relief).

I've been married again for about a decade. Now those relationships women that hurt me, no longer hurt. They just don't matter now. I suppose I'll be recovered when the LDS church is similar. When it just doesn't matter.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 12:51PM

The check list at the bottom of the post is by definition of: "recovered."

What "Recovery" means to me:

Recovery, is defined for my own situation as The Exit Process from Mormonism.
It's a Do It Yourself Project with no manual and no rules. We all make our own decisions about how to do it. This is how I do it. It works for me, but may not work for others.

It became clear, very quickly that there is no right or wrong way to deal with the process. It's not black and white.What is right for one won't work for another person as their situations are often quite different. Our backgrounds are very different also: BIC and convert most often, in my observation, will naturally approach the Exit Process differently. When members leave the LDS Church, (as in stop believing) it varies from a very young age to a much older age, sometimes in our senior years, like I did.

Part of that process is a variety of stages. We all go through stages that are a direct result of changing our mind about our religious, tradional, cultural belief system. Those stages may be similar to others or very different.

A few things helped me immensely.
First of all, it was important to understand that we are human beings; we put our pants on one leg at a time, we experience the same emotions that all humans experience. We are more alike than different. Religion is only one defining part of our human experience. For some, it's more globally encompassing than others. Mormonism tends to be more globally encompassing because of it's strong generational traditions and rituals.

It's comforting to know we are not alone. When we leave our "tribe" and become an outsider, it's a very similar process no matter what group or religion is involved. Some can leave very easily. For others, it's extremely difficult and has far reaching dynamic results. Sometimes loosing almost everything.
The animal kingdom, in general, doesn't look kindly on those that leave their "tribe." Often they are left to fend for themselves, which can be disastrous.

Along the way I have concluded there are a few basics: we all get the same thing: we live, we die, we do stuff in between. There are no wouldas, shouldas, couldas, or what if's. What is -- is. We play the cards we are dealt. We make the best decisions we know how with the information we have at the time. It's OK to change our mind when we find/receive new, better information. Don't let the past mess up my present.
There are no fantasy parents, fantasy siblings, fantasy marriages, etc.

My mind tends to see the Big Picture. After reading The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell (a textbook for a local college religion course), it became easy to see Mormonism in the Big Picture as one of many God Myths through out the history of humanity that humans naturally gravitate to through their generational, familial, cultural, societal background. The geography of our birth plays a large role in our beliefs. Where we are born in the world very often determines our religious traditions and rituals for our entire life.

I found that it takes a long time to give ourselves permission to create a personalized, evolving new World View and be confident about it. It's natural, to have doubts and concerns along the way.
I realized I needed to take my power back and own it, early on. I needed to be in the drivers seat and trust myself!

Everyone is different: for some anger, resentment, distaste, disgust, etc. can last for years. For others, those kinds of emotions are quickly replaced by others that lead to making peace with all of it. Humor is very healing! I fall in the latter group.

The end result of this very personalized, Do It Yourself, Exit Process from Mormonism based on the dynamics of our individual lives and families is that former members will very often develop very different World Views and different opinions.

It's natural for human beings to see the world only through their eyes. Changing from a concrete World View with little to no deviation, to one that is open and evolving can be jarring and upsetting when confronted with different opinions. Learning the skills of a skeptic, using logic and reason in a new way can be difficult. It can all: feel wrong at first. Eventually, we each find our niche, usually through experimentation. We find what works for us as a former Mormon.

It's an exhilarating experience! Scary at times! Taking off the Mormon filter from our eyes and ears takes some getting used to. We often completely change our hair styles, and our wardrobe, discarding the regulation garments. The world looks much different. There are new ways of looking at everything. All of our thoughts and actions take on a new perspective.

For me, it was necessary to use humor (daily), write satire and parody, write about the process regularly, and not take it all too seriously. It was also necessary for my sense of well being to know I was OK, to keep my self confidence, self respect, self esteem cooking on high! I was going to change my mind and do it my way! And I could do that. I didn't need to be fixed by anyone or anything. I was not defective. I'd figure it out. I could do that. I also needed to learn how to set boundaries and how to protect myself. That is on-going.

This is my list of how I know I'm out -- or recovered as some say, or the Exit Process is about as done as it's going to get. Like many, I live with and love Mormons and always will. They are some of my relatives and dear friends.
It's important, for me, in my situation to maintain as many positive relationships as possible. (Not always possible, however.)

This is my check list. I read it from time to time to see how I'm doing.

You know you're really out when........ You're made peace with it.

The emotional attachment has been replaced with love of all of life.

The following is how I made peace with it. The short version.

You know you are really out when.....
there are no more resentments, anger, regrets, or self recrimination, explosive responses, name calling, etc.

You know you are really out when....
you can live with and love Mormons and accept them like anyone else.

You know you are really out when.....
you are kind to the missionaries and other members, and maintain a rational relationship and friendship like everyone else.
You know you are really out when...
you understand that Mormonism is a religion like thousands of others and it's OK to change your mind, leave it, and know you are OK and were OK all along.

You know you are really out when .....
you respect all people's rights to choose their own religion (or none) as a valid choice and honor that right.

you love your friends and family regardless of their religious choices.

you own your own power, set healthy boundaries when necessary, and take charge of your own life, living it today, not for some reward after death.

you choose your friends regardless of their religious choices.

you can go to a church building, read their scriptures, articles, etc, attend functions associate with Mormons and remain respectful.

I didn't start out with those goals, but they evolved naturally during my process.

I will always live with and love Mormons. Every person teaches me something, and most often, enriches my life.

Date: November 24, 2010 01:21PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 01:46PM

anagrammy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

The first time I composed that list, in a shorter form, was many years ago -- shortly after I had resigned my membership in 2002.
I consider myself long "recovered"-- by my own definition.

I think my situation was greatly assisted by my natural personality and ability to see the humor in all of life.
My first reaction to realizing that Joseph Smith Jr told a "whopper" and got away with it, back in about 1999, was to snicker, then laugh--!!

My Exit Process has been easy, compared to others, I think because of my initial response.
There was no way I was going to make a mountain out of a mole hill, either.

My initial frustration came from not being able to get others to listen to me and understand me. So, I dropped it, and just waited for them to adjust and let it happen naturally, with some time.
And it has.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.