Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 03:17PM

I probably live in one of the most mormony neighborhoods in the United States. From my house, there are three mormon chapels within close walking distance. In fact, from the one chapel on a slight hill you can see the steeples of other two chapels (as well as the Oquirrh Hills temple and the Draper temple both within sight).

I estimate if missionaries knock on ten doors in my neighborhood, seven of them will be mormons of varying degrees of activity, one of them will be a non-mormon or former mormon and one of them will be a vacant, foreclosed house.

So why in world would I see missionaries visiting houses here daily?

Has the word gone down from on high that U.S. missionaries are to spend more time keeping a close tab on finding and reactivating members?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 03:22PM

Perhaps these are the mishies with more tender egoes and fragile testimonkies. Makes their mission a whole lot more positive and reassuring if they don't run into a lot of people yelling names at them.

Posted by: Marcionite ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 03:24PM

Same thing in eastern Idaho. I've counted up to 12 missionaries in a day walking the streets. There isn't a day go by that I don't see at least one or two companion sets walking around. I usually get contacted about once or twice a year in my home. They seem to be everywhere and with nothing to do but walk around.

I really feel sorry for them. But they also irritate me.

I think it is part of TSCC's "circle the wagons" mentality. They are now coming to the rescue of those of us who are mormon in name only. Hopefully this will backfire as by contacting those who have left or are totally inactive, more of the missionaries will be exposed to the truth about the history behind their cult and the real reasons for disaffection.

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 05:59PM

I swapped places with an Elder from Europe (he was going to my home state and I was going to his country). I was sad for him because it was was a big-time Mormon-y state, and he wouldn't have a "real" missionary experience. From what I heard later, he considered his mission a great success because of all the reactivating they did by going door to door tracting.

They've got to teach somewhere, I guess.

Posted by: mleblanc138 ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:50PM

Missions in Utah are actually really cool. This thread brings back memories of my tracting in places like Roosevelt, Heber, and Midway Utah. I never once got a door slammed in my face, although some people would just say "not interested."

While most missionaries only cover 1 ward, I covered 2 to 3 STAKES. My trainer said that in Pleasant Grove, he covered like 7 Stakes. With all those members, we got member dinners practically every day. Not to mention, while many guys would have to drive cross country, or even fly around the world to visit their mission, I can simply drive one or two counties east to visit my mission(I live in Orem).

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:58PM

I was on a mission in Ut during the late 80's and I always relate it to running a marathon. All the members around were like the aid stations every mile where people were cheering you on and giving you gatorade.....kind of a pick me up.

It felt good to have people tell us we were so "Special" and doing a "sacred" work.....blah blah blah...

Mostly to build up your ego. You get rock star status in Ut on a mission. Most of my companions had laurels and mia maids writing to them and thought they were the gift to the world. I just wanted out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2012 12:58PM by upsidedown.

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 02:09PM

non-members with lots of Mormon acquaintances and friends, inactive members, "part-member" families, and children of record who were not baptized at eight. Missionaries in Utah probably have more legitimate "work" to do and more legitimate baptisms in a year than the rest of the missionaries in the United States combined.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.