Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 02:54PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 03:03PM

Zina Huntington Jacobs is the only one I know about but I'm no expert on this.

Posted by: Jim Huston ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 03:31PM

Brigham Young did not play well with others. The women that he married were generally required to leave their husbands permanently. In addition to the one already mentioned, Mary Elizabeth Rollins was married to Brigham Young for a period of time, but did not live with him as wife.

Augusta Cobb was married to him, but had left her non-Mormon husband to move west.

These are the only ones I am aware of.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 03:43PM

I don't think Brigham made a habit of taking other men's wives unless they were leftover from Joseph. I'm pretty sure, though, that Parley P. Pratt converted a married woman and took her back to Utah and married her. He later went back and got her kids, and was hunted down and killed by the angry husband/father. When Brigham Young heard about his "martyrdom" he was the most distraught he'd ever been, except for when Joseph died.

Posted by: snowowl ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 01:58AM

Here are the known polyandrous marrianges. There are a few others about which it is unknown if the woman was divorced from her previous husband.
The marriage dates are to Brigham Young.
I hope these are accurate.

Lucy Ann Decker - Marriage: June 14, 1842 -- abandoned by non-Mormon husband William Seeley - not divorced

Augusta Adams - Marriage: November 2, 1843 -- married to non-mormon Henry Cobb, not divorced until 1847

Clarissa Blake (Morse) - Marriage: October 8, 1844 - widow of ? Morse - married to Lyman Homiston, not divorced

Mary Elizabeth Rollins - Marriage: May 22, 1845 - polyandrous wife of Joseph Smith, married to Adam Lightner, not divorced

Zina Diantha Huntington - Marriage: February 2, 1846 - polyandrous wife of Joseph Smith, married to Henry Bailey Jacobs, not divorced

Amy Cecelia Cooper - Marriage: February 3, 1846 - married to non-Mormon Joseph Aldrich and separated after marriage to B. Young

Lydia Farnsworth - Marriage: May 8, 1870 - married to Elijah Mayhew and remained with him

Hannah Tapfield - Marriage: December 8, 1872 - married to non-Mormon Thomas O. King and remained with him

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 05:47AM

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 10:11AM

I would be interested to learn more about Zina. From the few things I've read, I feel very sorry for her. I feel like she was really passed around. Did she have money or connections that they wanted?

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 02:22PM

Zina was the sister of one of my direct ancestors, Oliver Boardman Huntington. Zina married Henry Bailey Jacobs after refusing Joseph Smith's "proposal." Later, she did go through with being sealed to ol' horny Joe.

Here is a link to her journal: http://www.lds-mormon.com/zina.shtml

Here is some information about a collection of letters between Henry and Zina (they are heartbreaking) in the Harold B. Lee library at BYU:

Jacobs family letters

Dates: 1846-1915

The Jacobs family letters are correspondence between Zina Diantha Huntington Jacobs Smith Young, Henry Bailey Jacobs, and their son, Henry Chariton Jacobs. In addition to these letters, there are also diary excerpts from Zina and Henry's other son, Zebulon Jacobs. The collection consists of two folders and is 123 pages in length. The dates of the correspondence ranges from 1846-1915.

Extent: 2 folders (0.2 linear ft.)
Creator: Jacobs, Henry Bailey, 1817-1886. -- Jacobs, Henry Chareton, 1846-1915. -- Jacobs, Zebulon William, 1842-1914. -- Young, Zina Diantha Huntington Jacobs Smith, 1821-1901
Call Number: MSS 7699
Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
Access Restrictions: Open for public research. <----- Good!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 03:46PM

Hey cousin! I'm the descendent of Zina Young Card.

Date: October 23, 2014 04:15PM

I kind of think many of us are related!

*grin*

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 01:35PM

Given Brigham's fecundity yes for me. But for you, that is awesome I found a Huntington cousin!

Date: October 24, 2014 01:39PM

I didn't realize I was lost!

Date: October 24, 2014 01:40PM

I meant to add, it's great to meet you!

(I always have great thoughts/ideas, just after I press "Post message"!)

Date: October 23, 2014 04:49PM

Thanks for sharing that. I got through some during my dinner break at work and will certainly read more later.

One entry that caught my eye was "Henry sold his Cote [coat], vest and hat to Br Lewes to answer up on his tithing for $19.50." Wow.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 05:01PM

Who knows if it was recorded but was Zina a Babe? Hour glass figure, big bosom, performed great bed tricks?

It was too early to have pictures of her in her Prime (20s - 30s) but honey Joe wanted her (along with many others). BY married her out of obligation or did she just have some physical attributes that the brethren just needed some action with this woman?

Date: October 23, 2014 05:17PM

http://cdm15999.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/GEA/id/1556 (Zina is the taller woman on the left - obvious corset looks to be quite uncomfortable!)

http://cdm15999.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/DUP/id/407 (Zina and Oliver - later years)

http://www.utlm.org/images/brighamyoungswivesandestate/bywives4_huntington_snow_bigelow_carter.jpg (Zina and three others as wives of BY)

http://secretsofmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/zinadhjsy.jpg (Another younger photo of Zina)

You be the judge.

Date: October 23, 2014 08:42PM

She was really quite lovely in the first picture - the picture of good health and looks.

Posted by: builderbob ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 01:46PM

That first picture is not Zina, maybe a granddaughter, look at the original date. The contractor who hired the photographer was Zina. The picture is of "Women--portraits, Huntington family--photographs"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2014 01:56PM by builderbob.

Date: October 24, 2014 01:49PM

Yup. My bad! That comes from hastily pulling links together.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 10:52AM

Posted by: Robert Hall the Photo God ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 03:32PM

Who were the five who divorced Brigham?

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 04:26PM

This might help with the topic. Just remember it's from Wikipedia and anyone can edit the information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Brigham_Young%27s_wives

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 02:21PM

Way too many!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.