Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 12:28PM

This article is on Slate.com this morning;

"Can I Get On the Mormon 'Do Not Baptize" List? How To Avoid Being Baptized After You're Dead"

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/mormon_explainer_1/2012/02/mormons_baptize_wiesenthals_is_there_a_way_to_stop_baptism_by_proxy_.html

Unfortunately they haven't come up with a way to stay off the list. They say the only ones on the "Do Not Baptize" list are Holocaust victims, and even that doesn't guarantee anything.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 02:03PM

It's not the mormons' fault. They didn't do anything wrong -- or so they have now taken to saying. Apparently, some sneaky non-mormons are just trying to make them look bad.

This is an excerpt from the readers comments below the Slate article:

"Enemies of the Church are well aware that it is still possible to slip names past well intentioned members and have them entered into the Temple. This deceitful practice has been well documented, and is incredibly easy to research. Those who have been guiltily of these infractions in the past have both caught and banned from Church property and web-sites. Amazingly, the press seldom interviews these individuals."

Okay, which one of "enemies of the Church" thought up this genius plot?

And where is this "easy to research" proof that it's not mormons who are adding Jews to the proxy baptism list?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 03:59PM

ahh..nope. It's their belief that a proxy member can represent the name of a deceased person and do an ordinance for them.
I don't know what the fuss is about.
It doesn't mean anything, not to anyone but the believers.
Nobody is baptized after they are dead. They are still in the grave or decomposed or their ashes left someplace.
I find all this fussing over a religions rituals to be a lot of bru ha ha over nothing. Nothing happens to a deceased person. It's symbolic.

Posted by: utesby5 ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 04:28PM

Symbolism is obviously important to people. I can guarantee that if an average Mormon found out that Muslims were in some way consecrating their precious, deceased Grandma into Islam the Mormon would be up in arms and demanding that the ritual stop. For the Mormons to not understand the hypocrisy of the situation is just more evidence of their near-sighted, cocooned existence.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 09:02PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know what the fuss is about.

Exactly. You DON'T. And apparently never will.

Do you allow the Jewish people who are offended by dead dunking to have an opinion? No, they aren't allowed to have an opinion on what is done to the records of their family.

Just go on down your yellow brick road wearing your rose colored glasses....

Date: February 17, 2012 12:38PM

Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SusieQ#1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I don't know what the fuss is about.
>
>
> Exactly. You DON'T. And apparently never will.
>
> Do you allow the Jewish people who are offended by
> dead dunking to have an opinion? No, they aren't
> allowed to have an opinion on what is done to the
> records of their family.
>
> Just go on down your yellow brick road wearing
> your rose colored glasses....

Oh how respectful! I don't see the point in telling ANY religion how to do their rituals. Ya, like we're going to tell Catholics and Muslims how to stop rituals we don't like about them! Ridiculous.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 12:50PM

The difference is (to my knowledge), Catholics and Muslims don't involve non-members without their consent in their rituals.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 10:09PM

That's right. Some religious people don't overstep their boundaries - they don't move in on the beliefs of others to say in essence "YOU have never had the right belief, so now we will offer it to you." Yes, it is disrespectful... extremely so.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 10:44PM

I don't understanding why you're fussing over people fussing. It seems so inconsequential and redundant.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 10:13PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 10:13PM by steve benson.

Posted by: ibwilliamsi ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 04:32PM

"What's the big deal?" Well for one thing, Catholics believe that they CAN'T get into heaven if they're not baptised into the Catholic Church. Somehow, they might be upset if they're yanked out of heaven because Mitt Romney decided to take them to the planet Kolob with him.

I don't give a rip how other religions (what a laugh that LDS is a religion) perform their rituals. No one wants another person's religion forced upon them. I don't know how you could force anyone more into your religion than waiting until they're dead ad taking them against their will.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 05:29PM

It may mean nothing to you, SusieQ, but it means a lot to some people.

People put flowers on the graves of their loved ones. They spend extra money for a more attractive casket. They carefully choose a meaningful headstone. They do those things to honor the memory of their loved ones. Does that help (or hurt) the deceased? Nope, but it helps those left behind.

For some people, Mormon dead-dunking is the equivalent of peeing on someone's grave. One could argue that such an act doesn't cause the deceased any harm, but it is disrespectful and hurts those left behind. Would it be okay with you if you caught someone relieving himself on the graves of your loved ones?

Date: July 29, 2012 09:19PM

Doesn't have anything to do with me. It's the mourners that decided what is appropriate. Meaning is established by those doing the act. Not me.

Posted by: a-no-nfor-sure ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 09:30PM

The mom of the little girl I babysit
is Jewish.
I specifically asked her how she felt about
Mormons baptising holocaust victims.
(you see, both sets of her great grandparents died in concentration camps).
She told me that she is INCREDIBLY offended
That the morg continues to do this.
She also said that the Jewish community here in the phx valley
is PISSED.
Her family died because they refused to be baptized.
Her ancestors,for thousands of years, refused to be baptized.
What a slap in the face to the Jewish people.
Boggles the mind....

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 05:54PM

The mormons also decide who you are married to. If you had more than one spouse they will seal for time and all of eternity (pretty strong language ) to one of the spouses. But hey if you are a male and married two spouses in your lifetime you could be sealed to both of them.....polygamy.

Try explaining that to the families of the deceased. Yeah, don't worry about it your dad is married to both your mom and your stepmother for time and all eternity.....we did the marriages in the temple. Hope they are all getting along well up in heaven.....oh they get a planet too!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2012 05:55PM by upsidedown.

Posted by: SayHi2Kolob4Me ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 04:45PM

Posted by: SayHi2Kolob4Me ( )
Date: July 25, 2012 04:50PM

Please visit this site. It's my favorite. It turns all dead Mormons gay. I am so honored to have participated in quite a few conversions.

http://alldeadmormonsarenowgay.com/

Posted by: scarecrofromoz ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 09:30PM

and it randomly selected Nancy Romney. Is she a relative of Mitt's?

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 09:22PM

I knew people in my ward who would submit names from the obituary section of the newspaper. Also heard of people taking day trips to country cemeteries and copying down names from the gravestones.

It's sick and hideous but they think they're doing the person a great favor.

Posted by: doubleb ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 03:10PM

Amazing how the TSCC employs brainless members to do meaningless activities to keep them convinced they're doing the Lord's work. Who's going to convince them otherwise in a remote cemetary? Keep 'em busy, keep 'em isolated. That's the TSCC motto...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 03:12PM by doubleb.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 09:23PM

(if you are having problems figuring out why the LDS practice is so patently offensive see below)

Mormon posters: please provide me the names of your dead parents or grandparents. I wish to enroll them as members of N.A.M.B.L.A. (the North American Man-Boy Love Association) and also make sure that their names are listed as members and available online to anyone that wishes to look them up.

I don't see why that should be offensive to you since it is the dead person's choice whether to actually support or endorse homosexual pedophilia anyway and they can just reject their membership in the next life.

(PS. The comments on this are a scream)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2012 09:24PM by rodolfo.

Posted by: doubleb ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 03:13PM

Spot on. +1

Date: February 17, 2012 10:11PM

+10!!!

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 01:17AM

Imagine if another church/religion tried to baptise all dead people that weren't of their church/faith, which would include Mormons. Regardless of what you think or don't think about the afterlife (or whether it exists or not), the idea in itself is disrespectful. Mormons would be up in arms. But they don't seem to see anything wrong with what they are doing regarding dead non-Mormons.

They seem to think that it would be bad publicity to explicitly baptise living non-Mormons without their consent, so they think that if they baptise non-Mormons after they are dead, they think they can get away with it. They know it's impossible to make the whole world Mormon, so they justify it by doing baptisms of dead people. TBMS just want to rule the world; they have no respect for non-Mormons, as evidenced by knocking on people's doors/harassing people on the street, and baptising dead non-Mormons.

TBMs and the cult believe that all non-Mormons must become Mormon after they are dead. That is sick.

Date: February 17, 2012 10:13PM

So true....would love for some group to do something to the Mormons' beloved departed ones.It would be interesting to see them squirm and claim they were being persecuted.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 09:51PM

Mormons will claim all day long that it doesn't matter b/c you don't have the priesthood authority. It's so annoying and arrogant of them!!

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 04:20PM

OK for those that dont nunderstand it. Imagine your in a job interview and sitting there quite happely about to get grilled for your job when some guy walks in that looks a bit bishop like. He talks to you for a minut and asks why your not Mormon now you just thought it was a bit odd yu had to put your relegion on the application but thought it might be an ethics thing. Well turns out Bishop thinks you should be mormon because accoreding to his records all your fmaily are. All your deseced family are mormon. Now how wiereded out do you feel?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.