Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 05:49PM

The way the news has been going on about the in coming blizzard I'm expecting Utah to be a vastly different place by Wednesday morning!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 06:19PM

Home now in Eagle Mountain just waiting for the big dump. Snow dump, that is.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 10:19PM

Eagle Mtn. was a cool place....remember it well. Stay safe.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 06:20PM

Three inches of snow is a death sentence in the cities here. Kids are trying to sled in it.

The temperature is as low as I can remember for November for 25 years. How do you keep hummingbird feeders liquid at 15 degrees?

Date: November 23, 2010 07:11PM

The leading edge of the storm is just passing the Salt Lake Airport.

It is very clear where I live and I can see right across the city to a big massive back wall of clouds.

Traffic on the roads is incredibly light for this time in the evening.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 07:13PM

I remember the blizzards of 1993? when roofs were caving in from the snow. I loved that winter.

I LOVE SNOW!

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 07:25PM

That was the year BEFORE I bought my snow blower. I had piles of snow 6 feet high next to the driveway, every bit of it shoveled by hand.

At the time I was working in Roy, Utah and driving 45 miles each way to get to work. I would get up in the morning and shovel the driveway; take a shower and get dressed; drive an hour-and-a-half in the snow to work; work all day; drive another hour-and-a-half in the snow to get home; eat dinner; shovel the driveway; go to bed. It went on like that for a week.

Date: November 23, 2010 10:21PM

I was there for those blizzards in '93. I have great pics of the snow- it covered our mailbox by the street. Never saw anything like it.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 02:55AM

in Orem in the 1990s once because of the snow. Everybody stayed home, and helped each other get the snow off their roofs and driveways. It was like a neighborhood party. We were probably very fortunate that nobody fell off and broke their neck.

My husband has said many times how that was the best Sunday EVER. . . . I guess the snow was like a "get out of jail free" card.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 02:59AM

I looked outside a bit ago and I could see clear patches of sky. It's COLD, but maybe the snow passed us by. We got maybe an inch.

Posted by: Emma's Flaming Sword ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 07:19PM

Date: November 23, 2010 07:32PM

The wind is blowing so hard here I can not tell if it is snowing yet, too much snow being blown off the roofs.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 07:41PM

Where's my blizzard?

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 07:20PM

The only way for it to be a vastly different place by Wednesday is for the blizzard to blow the LD$ away.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 07:20PM

I'm in Cache VAlley. It hit over an hour ago--more like 2 hours. We have almost a foot where I live in Hyrum--we oftentimes get more than Logan. I really didn't expect it to be as big as they were predicting.

My ex is in charge of snow removal at the hospital. He isn't happy. My boyfriend is supposed to drive here from Colorado tomorrow . . .

Oh--and yes, I remember the snow of 1993. Six years ago was pretty bad, too. There was also the year we got 28 inches in 24 hours. That was either the 6 years ago or a few years before that. The snow was up to the bottom of the trampoline.

And the way to keep from having your roof cave in is to get a metal roof. I just have avalanches when it slides.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2010 07:23PM by cl2.

Posted by: BestBBQ ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 07:42PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 07:51PM

Just had a Severe Weather Warning from the UK Met Office
Heavy Snow Thu 25 Nov

There is a moderate risk of severe weather on Thursday.

There is potential for snow showers to become frequent in places giving localised accumulations of 2-5 cm of snow inland with 10 cm or more on high ground in northeast England and Scotland.

There is a lower risk of snow extending further west into the Midlands and east Wales.

Icy stretches may develop on untreated surfaces.

Issued at: 1128 Tue 23 Nov

It's nothing compared to what you have.
UK regions:
Orkney & Shetland
Grampian
Highlands & Eilean Siar
Blizzards & Heavy Snow Fri 26 Nov

There is a moderate risk of severe weather on Friday.

There is potential for snow showers to become frequent in places giving further localised accumulations of 2-5 cm of snow inland with 10 cm on high ground. In addition, a strengthening northerly wind may lead to blizzard conditions and drifting, particularly on high ground.

Icy stretches may develop on untreated surfaces.

Issued at: 1008 Tue 23 Nov

Posted by: jbryan ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 07:50PM

Here in Mississippi it's a balmy 67 degrees and I have the air conditioner on.

Earlier today I was outside in shorts and a light t-shirt.

I miss having winter.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 08:03PM

I reheated some coffee and some lasagne and took a look at the thread I started on an obscure New Zealand reptile, and you'da thunk I was talking about the serpent in the Bible the way one Christian took offense even though that critter's ancestors were around hundreds of millions of years before the first snake shed its legs in the interest of a sub-terranean existence...

And I hollered at the Verizon store when I went to get a new cell phone turned on; this was at around 4:00 in the afternoon... I was more polite that the guy next to me; he just muttered how it was a bunch of sh*t, and I stuck to calling 'em wusses...

We'll see... So far on my part of the bench it's just blowing a lot... Stopped into a grocery store, and the holiday spirit was already manifesting itself the way people were running around in a hurry...

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 08:32PM

I went to three different grocery stores, for all my special Thanksgiving ingredients, and they were packed! I ran into several (non-Mormon) friends and neighbors. People were happy to get off work early.

I was the only female at the hardware store and the gas station, buying ice-melt, and filling up our little red gas cans. People were buying space heaters.

I grew up in California, and the only time we saw snow was when we went skiing. I love to play in the snow, but living in it sometimes frightens me. We live up against the mountains, and we've had our patio roof collapse, and have lost our gutters and rain spouts several times. We lost 3 pines and 2 cedars in one big microburst. Those trees were actually uprooted! Our entire fence was knocked over, and many branches have fallen off the trees, with the weight of the snow. Our power goes off a lot, and several times it has stayed off for over two days. It was so cold we stayed in my BIL's guest room. They live only a few blocks away, but are on a much more reliable power grid. When it is windy or stormy, we can't get TV (digital box antenna) reception, anyway. We huddle by the fire, and read books by candle-light like Abe Lincoln. Utah is so primitive!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2010 08:35PM by forestpal.

Date: November 23, 2010 10:25PM

Yes, I guess the people need to get to those grocery stores fearing they may not get there in the next day at all. Talk about stress. Of course their visitors may not make it to their houses either.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 09:34PM

I wish it had been a balmy 15F here this morning. Instead it was -35C, or about -30F. Fortunately not much wind!

Posted by: katieastg ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 09:45PM

Just keep all that snow out of St. George and I'll be good!

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 11:32PM

I sure hope we get some of that snow here in southern Colorado. It's so dry and dusty that every day the windshield on my truck is covered with dust.

I just don't want a foot of snow. A couple of inches would be nice.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 11:36PM

It is damn cold out there, however... Weather Channel says 20 degrees F. right now... Earlier they said the blizzard warning would be lifted around eight a.m. tomorrow morning; there's an old Utah saying "two cold to snow," and seems to be operating around here...

BTW, the reason I was cussing Verizon above was because they'd closed both of their stores, and I'm without a working phone...

Well, I do have one that would dial 911 if need be, and I've got two vehicles that both run well...

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 12:22AM

It's been blosnowing since 9:00pm. Snow is stuck on the west side of the tree from bottom to top.

Posted by: anon for now ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 12:58PM

what Blizzard?

it snowed a little bit and the wind blew but it was not a very big blizzard. the roads were messy but passable and today its just cold. Utah has seen bigger and more severe storms than this without any of the media caused panic.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 01:01PM

Posted by: lump ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 01:17PM

...we got barely an inch. Of course the wind is blowing today and the temps are in the low teens (with windchills in the single digits).

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 02:22PM

Maybe the weight of the snow will colapse the roof of the SLC Temple in....only hoping so.LOL

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 02:28PM

but the issue really wasn't the amount of snow it was the temp and the ice. I-15 round the 80 interchange this morning was pretty slick. Saw a few wrecks.

Don't let the totals fool you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.