Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: February 13, 2012 06:20PM

"An LDS Church member last month posthumously baptized the parents of Simon Wiesenthal, a Holocaust survivor and Jewish rights advocate, and the Los Angeles center named for him is incensed.

"'We are outraged that such insensitive actions continue in the Mormon temples,' Rabbi Abraham Cooper, the Wiesenthal Center’s associate dean, said in a statement on the group’s website. 'Such actions make a mockery of the many meetings with the top leadership of the Mormon church.'"

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53506130-78/church-mokotoff-jewish-lds.html.csp

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mormonisn't ( )
Date: February 13, 2012 06:27PM

Culprit?.... they got the bad guy just doin his job!

"We consider this a serious breach of our protocol," spokesman Scott Trotter said in a statement, "and we have suspended indefinitely this person’s ability to access our genealogy records."
"In fact, he was told in writing that the church also suspended access for the culprit’s wife."

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 10:29AM

were polygamously married in 1908--and her sister was also married to him that day.

Posted by: djmaciii ( )
Date: February 13, 2012 06:55PM

I checked "yes" donor on my drivers license.

Can I check "no" to donate my soul to LDS inc.?

I should be illegal to baptize anyone after they are dead.

How would mormons feel if BY, and JS got posthumously baptized muslim?

Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 02:53AM

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: February 13, 2012 09:58PM

I'd like to see dead Mormons re-baptized as Jews or Muslims!

If the boot fits, lick it.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: February 13, 2012 11:00PM

but it appears TSCC is apologizing, because it was called to their attention. It would be nice to catch members beforehand when they are trying to clear the names, but it would be nearly impossible. TSCC should apologize every time this happens, and reemphasize to the sheeple privacy laws, LD$ doctrine, and the particular offense to Holocaust victims.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: February 14, 2012 12:01AM

And this man's wife being barred is yet another statement showing that Mormon women have identity only through their husbands. Where is the outrage that she is being punished for his wrongdoing?

Are you surprised that Mormons ignore other people's religious rights? Other people's abortion preferences? Other people's gender identity? Other people's anything?

Anagrammy

Date: February 14, 2012 12:13AM

I'm not going to be offended over his wife being barred, because I have no proof that she was not involved.

Where did I express surprise at this or anything else you mentioned? I am a genealogist. For years I saw people do sloppy "research", and copy names from books just so they could do as many names as possible, and brag about it. Researchers are disgusted at people who do this.

Date: February 14, 2012 04:05PM

I wasn't criticizing you--those are rhetorical questions just commenting at the overall lack of respect.

Ana

Date: February 14, 2012 07:22PM

They think they have the only correct line to gawd, are authoritarian, and they demand obedience. It's not a recipe for tolerance, and compromise.

Also, I don't remember how long you have been out, but there is a good chance they have evidence she was involved. Names are cleared through TempleReady, and I am told it is accessed through member I.D. Also the cards are now bar coded so they know exactly who submitted, and cleared a name. She may have been proxy for his mother, since it says the work was done for his parents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2012 07:24PM by atheist&happy:-).

Date: February 14, 2012 01:52AM

I also found it strange that they banned the wife. The article says that the church apologized for "' ... the actions of an INDIVIDUAL member ...,'" but then punished "the CULPRIT'S wife" [my emphases], as well.

It just shows that the Mormon church is so clueless that even when it tries to the right thing to correct a wrong, it awkwardly fumbles and offends.

Posted by: anonofthis ( )
Date: February 13, 2012 11:13PM

So has anyone Jumped on the oxwagon and done whitney yet?

Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: February 13, 2012 11:36PM

It is time for the Gay community to start doing "Gay marriages for the dead".

Joe Smith could marry Moses and Brigham can marry Judas. And since they are polygamous lets throw in Gordon hinckley and trade him off between Joe and Brigham.

Posted by: fetching49 ( )
Date: February 14, 2012 01:59AM

I was under the impression that ALL holocaust victims were not to be allowed any longer unless the person was able to show actual proof of relation? I was almost impressed when I heard this but wondered if they would actually enforce it. I hope this blows up huge for many reasons. Not only the LDS arrogance of doing whatever the hell they want but also the way it treats members and spouses.

Posted by: untarded ( )
Date: February 14, 2012 02:28AM

I swear, if anyone has me necrodunked, my God, The Flying Spaghetti Monster will appear to him. And PESTO!. he will strangle him with his noodley appendage.

I say these things in the name of the FSM,

Ramen.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: February 14, 2012 02:33AM

I bet Bill Mahar could be talked into deaddunking JS, BY, or ETB into another faith.

I always thought ETB would have made a good Rastafarian.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: February 14, 2012 02:45AM

If there are any Satanists out there PLEASE pretend to do a ritual or whatever is needed to accept new members, the equivalent of baptism. Pretend to make JS and BY fully recognized Satanists and make it as public as possible. I know you don't really want them as members but just pretend to. Maybe that will stop TSCC for a while anyway. It will at least possibly make them think? I hope to see this on blogs, newspapers etc.

Posted by: Teddy ( )
Date: February 14, 2012 03:28AM

Oh I always pray to the president of the gods, to shower Mormons with justice, and to let them have lots of awful meetings and to let them be judged with justice,...

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 14, 2012 03:49AM

Otherwise, morg actions say, "Sorry, but we have other priorities. Get over it."

As long as any so-called worthy member can mormonize any name they happen to find there will be baptisms for cartoon characters, serial killers, and Jewish Holocust heros.

There isn't a good system to check the names and there are no consequences for members who don't know or who refuse to follow rules.

Saying sorry for the same atrocious behaviors again and again doesn't cut it. They're lying and are not sorry at all. They're only embarrassed that someone noticed.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: February 14, 2012 06:54AM

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 14, 2012 04:12PM

Cause they have the right to accept it or reject it! Get it? See, it's really not disrespectful. All we're doing is giving them a choice. We really do believe that there are people up there who reject the temple ordinances (wink, wink). It doesn't really make them a mormon. What's the big deal?

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: February 14, 2012 04:14PM

Mormons are easily offended.

They are offended that anyone is offended by the necrodunking of dead non-mormons.

Posted by: Smiling Dog ( )
Date: February 14, 2012 04:22PM

...that the GAs know it is all bullshit. If God really wanted everyone baptized for the dead, then no amount of bitching would stop it (i.e. holocaust survivors are now exempt). They stopped necrodunking those folks due to the bad publicity. If the exmo community wanted the same consideration, we would have to raise a very public ruckus, but maybe it would happen for us, too. The bottom line, the morg needs names to keep the living sheep attending the temple, which keeps them paying tithing. If they really had a mission to redeem the dead, no amount of bitching would stop "the Lord's work". Once everyone bitches enough, the church will have to start baptizing pets to keep people going to the temple...or something else. The 15 know its all bunk, hence the reason they can make popular decisions like this.

Date: February 14, 2012 07:08PM

Do you think Romney will? He may have to do SOMETHING to address the situation if the pressure is turned up enough!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/14/elie-wiesel-mitt-romney-mormon-church_n_1276148.html?ref=politics

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2012 07:09PM by Fetal Deity.

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: February 14, 2012 08:43PM

John Dehlin posted the link to an article about this. A few TBMs are making comments such as "why should they care? Why are Jews offended? We do it out of love!"

If someone wrote a declaration of how they feel a need to defecate on Mormon graves out of love, and proceeded to do so, my guess is that those TBMs would complain.

In all fairness, most comments were people attempting to explain how the act is disrespectful and arrogant, citing Jewish perspective.

Posted by: summer kites ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 07:53AM

I think that perhaps some of them to it for themselves, not for anyone else. I know of a few TBM's who are very prejudiced and rude towards nonmembers and yet they're always bragging about performing baptisms at the temple.

So I think some of them couldn't care less about nonmembers, they just do it to get a pat on the back and that gold star from the church.

Date: February 14, 2012 11:45PM

Kathleen Waters
11 Fans
1 second ago (11:43 PM)
This comment is pending approval and won't be displayed until it is approved.

Baptizing real Jews into a sect that considers itself adopted into Judaism because of the failure of Jews to accept Christ. That takes the cake.

I am a former Mormon and I have always thought it ridiculous that the Mormon Church considers themselves the real Jews, the new Chosen People, and all others are called "gentiles. " Furthermor e, every young Mormon teenager makes an appointmen t with the Stake Patriarch to have their fortune told, during which they are told which tribe of Israel they are adopted into. No joke.

This is the tip of the iceberg. Mormons believe in polygamy, so they marry and seal men by proxy to their wife AND their mistresses . Eisenhower is sealed to Mamie AND Katherine, his secretary. That's so they can practice polygamy in the hereafter where they have sex with celestial bodies.

Anagrammy
(Kathleen Waters)

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 12:10AM

Water-on-the-brain Mormon Inc. is apparently asserting that Wiesenthal's parents haven't been dead-dunked yet; only that their names have been placed in the LDS genealogical database.

Below are excerpts from an AP version of events (Check the **NOTE at the bottom of the report):

". . . SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Mormon church leaders apologized to the family of Holocaust survivor and Jewish rights advocate Simon Wiesenthal after his parents were posthumously baptized in a Mormon temple ritual.

"Wiesenthal died in 2005 after surviving the Nazi death camps and spending his life documenting Holocaust crimes and hunting down perpetrators who remained at large.

"Records indicate his parents, Asher and Rosa Rapp Wiesenthal, were baptized in proxy ceremonies performed by Mormon church members at temples in Arizona and Utah in late January. . . .

“'We sincerely regret that the actions of an individual member of the church led to the inappropriate submission of these names,' Michael Purdy, a spokesman for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said in a statement issued Monday.

“'We consider this a serious breach of our protocol and we have suspended indefinitely this person’s ability to access our genealogy records.'

"The name of the individual who submitted the names of the Wiesenthals for baptism was not released. The Associated Press could not independently verify whether the church member had been disciplined. . . .

“'The only way such insensitive practices would finally stop is if church leaders finally decided to change their practices and policies on posthumous baptisms, a move which this latest outrage proves that they are unwilling to do,' [associate dean at the Simon Wiesenthal Center Rabbi Abraham] Cooper said.

"New Jersey-based Jewish genealogy experts Gary Mokotoff said publicity about the Wiesenthal baptism will help solve the problem, which he believes is likely limited to a small number of overzealous church members who believe they are providing a service to their church.

“'If the word gets out that there are consequences, they’ll stop,' said Mokotoff, who has also participated in talks with Mormon leaders. 'But no one has a right to involve other person’s families in their religion. That’s basically what’s wrong about the whole concept.'

"Still, Mokotoff notes that only continued monitoring of the database will show whether church rules and discipline work.

"Salt Lake City researcher Helen Radkey found documentation of the baptism of the Wiesenthals last week while conducting regular checks of a church database. Jews have relied on the work of Radkey, a former Mormon, since 1999, although Mormon church officials have publicly questioned her motives for reviewing the database. . . .

**[NOTE]: “'None of the three names were submitted for baptism and they would not have been under the church’s guidelines and procedures,' [LDS church spokseman Michael] Purdy said. 'The names were simply entered into a genealogical database. Submission for proxy baptism is a separate process.' . . ."

(see: "Mormons Apologize for Posthumous Jewish Baptism," by Jennifer Dobner, "Associated Press," as reported by "ABC News," 14 February 2012, at: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/mormons-apologize-proxy-wiesenthal-baptism-15593186)

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2012 03:24AM by steve benson.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 10:24AM

And in the reader's comments of the article is a bit of mormon faith-promoting drivel:

"If the Jews are outraged, presumably it implies that they believe that Mormon faith is valid."

No matter which way the wind blows, it "proves" the mormon faith is valid ...

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 06:59AM

Jewish or not, the notion of baptising dead non-Mormon people is highly offensive and unacceptable. But the cult and TBMs are so brainwashed that they don't see anything wrong it. So disgusting and disrespectful.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 07:17AM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 10:27AM

just moments ago and switched over to yahoo to check my mail--and there was the story.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.