Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 02:44PM

I have a friend who is searching for a jello salad recipe that includes Vienna sausage.

Background story: She has taken salads, good ones not based on jello, to potlucks at which her husband's mormon relatives were in attendance. The mormons refused to touch the non-jello salads.

To avoid this humiliation in the future, she would like to take a jello-based salad next time, but can't find a recipe for the salad that was popular at earlier potlucks.

Can anyone help?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 02:56PM

http://www.amazon.com/No-Man-Knows-Pastries-Christensen/dp/1560850280

This should keep her in-laws in pot-luck heaven for the rest of her marriage.

Posted by: notmo ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 03:01PM

having actually seen jello with meat in it. To which company in his presence usually say, really? Are you sure? He then has some self-doubts about it since it probably happened in childhood.

oh my

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 03:10PM

It has jus been processed to the point where all beefy flavor has been removed.

From Wikipedia:
"Gelatin (or gelatine) is a translucent, colorless, brittle (when dry), flavorless solid substance, derived from the collagen inside animals' skin and bones."

Posted by: notmo ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 03:19PM

that IS actually bits of meat held together by gelatin.

I'm sorry, but that is different than Jello (red strawberry for example) with meat in it.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 03:24PM

Date: February 11, 2012 03:02PM

Thanks, jaredsotherbrother. The "Mountain Meadows Muffins" are tempting.

Date: February 11, 2012 03:03PM

In reference to "No Man Knows My Pastries," ... "Sweet and Sour Spam," really? Really?

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 03:05PM

If that one doesn't work for her, my mother-in-law has a lemon & shrimp jello salad that has celery and other items in it I've never been able to identify. I think I have the recipe around here somewhere but as a disclaimer, none of my husband's Mormon relatives are that fond of it. I'm the only one who will choke it down and only because my mother was big on having good manners and not hurting people's feelings, even if it means swallowing jello and shrimp together with a smile on your face.

Date: February 11, 2012 03:09PM

CA girl, I'll take the lemon and shrimp jello salad recipe. One always needs a backup.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 03:13PM

OK, I'll look for it - or I'll ask my MIL for a copy.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 03:28PM

Date: February 11, 2012 03:45PM

Itzpapalotl, go ahead and post your recipe that commits a crime against shrimp and lemons with jello.

You can never have too many mormon jello recipes.

And my friend is desperate.

Date: February 11, 2012 03:56PM

1 3 oz package lemon gelatin

1 1/2 cups boiling water

1/2 cup ketchup

1 small can shrimp ( you can used thawed salad shrimp as well)

1cup chopped celery
1 tsp grated onion
1 cup cooked peas
10 stuffed olives sliced

1. Dissolve gelatin in boiling water
2. Add ketchup and let set until slightly congealed, then add remaining ingrdients.
3. Mix well, pour into desired mold and let set till firm. Top with the following:

Dressing
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 TBS cream
1 hard-boiled egg, peeled and minced

Mix all ingrdients together, chill and top the mold.

I juts want to say, I have never made this and it really scares the hell outta me someone came up with it.

Date: February 11, 2012 04:03PM

Thank you!

Proof that mormons care nothing for this life on earth, and that they want to prove their minds on building the Kingdom by refusing to eat "elitist" foods.

Date: February 11, 2012 04:07PM

That should be "prove their minds are on building the Kingdom..."

I should proofread.

Date: February 11, 2012 04:08PM

I have a couple of "Women's Circle" cookbooks from the late 80's that I keep around. My TBM mother, who is a queen of Mormon cooking, bestowed them on me when I left for BYU. Some recipes are delicious and very budget friendly, but others I wonder WTF?!?

Date: February 11, 2012 04:07PM

I threw up in my mouth twice while reading, and imagining eating that recipe. I'll happily eat anything from damn near any part of an animal, but that jello montrosity was going a bit far.

On the other hand, replace the lemon Jello with gelatin made with a nice shrimp stock, replace the peas with fresh grated horseradish, replace the mayonaise with creme fraiche and the cream with mayonaise, add some Italian parsley, and you might have a nice first course.

Date: February 11, 2012 04:12PM

Is that what is referred to as aspic?

I HATE most Jello concoctions. My mom always made my siblings and I eat it on a slice of iceberg lettuce topped with generic Miracle Whip or cottage cheese. Ick. One of my sisters to this day refuses to eat iceberg lettuce.

Jello should only have fruit, alcohol, or soda added for fun.

Date: February 11, 2012 04:16PM

Yes, that would be an aspic.

I just realized, in over 25 years of enthusiastic apostacy, I've never had a jello shot.

Date: February 11, 2012 04:09PM

Peas and ketchup too!

What a bonus.

Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 04:01PM

I am so tempted to order that book!

Date: February 11, 2012 04:12PM

I highly recommend it. The writing and the photos are hilarious. It was first given to me by an exmo publishers rep in NYC after we spent a Guinness fueled evening trading MorMo stories and discussing mainstream MorMo/exMorMo authors.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 04:08PM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 04:26PM

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 04:25PM

The very thought of sausages in jello makes me queasy. Surely nobody would that!

Date: February 11, 2012 04:39PM

You must not have ever eaten Vienna Sausages. They are packed in a clear jelly like substance that looks a lot like snot.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 06:10PM

That's gelatin. Jello is a brand name that's always flavored and sweetened AFAIK. Lemon, lime, raspberry, etc.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 06:14PM

For anyone who wants to combine processed gelatin with Vienna sausages, help is needed. Unfortunately, I'm not qualified to give that kind of help.

Old Joke= Q:Where do Vienna sausages come from anyway? A:You never heard of the Vienna boy's choir?

Date: February 11, 2012 06:47PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 06:38PM

How they must hate it when civilisation impinges on their lives.

Posted by: eldorado ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 07:22PM

Type in jello abominations into your search engine, or use Julie and Jello. Maybe you could use her molded ham recipe and use the sausages instead

Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 10:12PM

I draw the line at fruit in jello. Carrots and any other substance are unacceptable.

Half a container of Cool-Whip on top is of course mandatory.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 10:10PM

Gawd, when my dad died, one of the sweet sisters sent over a jello "salad" with ground beef, noodles, beans and jello. It was vomitous.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 10:17PM

Those ingredients sound like the combination of things that might collect in the garbage disposal right before it's time to clear it out.

It also brought back memories of slopping the pig.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 10:34PM

I had to google that. The closest thing I could find was grape jelly and vienna sausage are a great consistency for ballistics testing. That seems like an appropriate use to me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.