Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 08:26PM

Mr. Jensen:

I’ve seen your name in the media for the last few days, and I’m wondering if you care for some feedback regarding your remarks? I offer you Both a Narrow and a Wide view.

You were quoted http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/mormons-confront-epidemic-on-online-misinformation/2012/02/01/gIQApULJiQ_story.html

as saying

The church “has made no effort to hide or obscure its history,” Jensen said, but some aspects — such as polygamy — “haven’t been emphasized often because they were not necessarily germane to what is taught at present.”

Let’s begin there. Is the above quote accurate ?

Sir: That lacks a certain ‘ring of Truth’

1. Church Financial information
2. ‘First Presidency Vault’
3. Varying accounts of events: the ‘First Vision’, Mountain Meadows Massacre, Hofmann, others.
4. Membership information, specifically Number of resignations; who is counted as members, etc.

THOSE ARE ALL PARTS OF LDS CHURCH HISTORY, AREN’T THEY?

It has been posted that an online Ensign photograph showing Hofmann & GBHinckley in the same picture has been ‘edited out’.

IF you wish to resolve the above counter-points, Then there’s an opportunity for the LDS church to Come Clean… (You put yourself out there, You’re NOW THE FOCUS)

Are you on board?

Transparency is the Starting Point for Mormonism into concurrency.

I don’t know of anyone who believes the LDS church is ready for that; Do YOU?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 09:43PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 08, 2012 09:43PM

COMMENTS, Please....

Posted by: Too lazy to login ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 11:04PM

I would mention bigger issues like the BOA and BOM anachronisms.

Posted by: brian ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 12:41AM

Jensen isn't the one we want to silence. He is one of the few who actually says some humanesque things. It is just too bad he is leaving his job as church historian. I can't imagine anyone else admitting anything.

He has presented the human side of being a gay Mormon as well as being the first to admit the church is having a problem with members leaving.

While some of his iron rod comments are annoying, he is the last one I would complain about.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 12:00PM

Also if they are not hiding anything, why did leaders feel it necessary to excommunicate the September Six, Lyndon Lamborn, and others; and disfellowship Grant Palmer?

The bit on blaming out of date lesson manuals appears to be a way to allow the "brethren" to avoid taking direct responsibility for their actions. There is nothing new under the sun, but vanity and vexation of spirit.

I think Jensen is working on what are now the fringes, making some tepid test runs on where the church can sort of reform and keep the game going.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 12:08PM

Brigham Young said and did quite a lot of really horrible things. The portrayal of the sweet romance between Joe and Emma is such a farce. His perpetual philandering is swept under the rug, and then there's the whole head-in-in-the-hat garbage, the reason for polygamy (too many women who needed husbands, all the widows - what a pile of...!)

The leadership lies and misleads about just about everything, including the number of Mormons worldwide - not even close to 14 million.

Posted by: Ponti ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 02:22PM

Love your letter so far...

The most laughable qoute of that linked article is this by Millet,

“We are fully persuaded that Mormonism is not only true and faithful but also reasonable. Ours is in fact a rational theology.”

OMG, I almost lost my lunch when I read this.

Date: February 10, 2012 03:39PM

reason: the quote of his "Just So Wrong" that I couldn't let it go...

Oh Well.

My letter is 95% ready to go... I let it percolate as much as I could; it will be early posted next week. I VALUE your inputs, Thanks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.