Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 10:43PM

I never got my endowments, but seeing how the garments are worn, and seeing how my mother wears them, I understand the bra is to be worn OVER the top. Does wearing your bra over sheer cloth inhibit the actual support the bra gives? It seems like it would slide too much to give the support it is designed for.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 10:57PM

My bra slid around ALL the time over my garment top. It was the most annoying thing on the planet. My bra was on a constant slip and slide when over a garment top, even the cotton ones.

I am so thankful that I no longer wear g's and that I have normal bra support again. It is such a huge relief to not have my bra ride up under my chin when simply raising my arms.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 11:44PM

I didn't have the problem of slipping, but I couldn't get the garment to fit properly until I had the Specials Dept make them, without lace (that stuff made me itch.)

If the woman is a D cup or larger, it's impossible to get a garment to fit under a bra without a lot of extra material to stuff in the rest of the clothing. I liked the Bemberg-Rayon fabric (without lace). It had a little stretch and was cooler than any other fabric. The fabric against the skin, in some cases, prevented chaffing.

I doubt most women can find a garment to fit. They just don't fit women's bodies at all. They only come in a couple of sizes and women are not just two sizes! Even women's clothing comes in several sizes: petite, junior, women, etc.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 12:21AM

After years of trying to make it work I finally started to wear the bra under the garments. My then teenaged daughter got all righteous on me and had some words to say. I told her that when God started wearing a bra, then he could have an opinion on how it should be worn.

Posted by: not part of the problem ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 12:50AM

I had a bunch of the older-style garments, with the seam that was supposed to go all along the underside of the bust (I guess). Even when I got "tall" tops (I am 5'3") the seam ran right through the middle of my breasts (like across the nipple). It was so uncomfortable. I ditched the Jesus Jammies shortly after they started making the tops with no seams.

ALL garments tops make your bra slide all over. Especially the "dri-silque" ones.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 12:53AM

And how about pantyhose slithering down the slimy garment bottoms and pooling around your knees? Ah, yes, the joys of righteousness.....

Date: November 23, 2010 01:34AM

jan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And how about pantyhose slithering down the slimy
> garment bottoms and pooling around your knees?
> Ah, yes, the joys of righteousness.....

You can tell your daughter that some women I know told us that in the temple they were told the bra can be worn either over or under the bra. There is no hard and fast rule! This was several years ago also.

Date: November 23, 2010 01:35AM

Got the post in the wrong place.

Date: November 23, 2010 01:37AM

Totally acceptable per: temple presidents wife!

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 01:39AM

Wearing garments is annoying with whatever you are wearing. I hated that I couldn't wear sleeveless tops. What I hated the most was trying to push the bottom half down into your pants (that sounds funny) so you didn't have a very obvious garment line. I had more than one person ask me why I had long john on in summer.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 01:44AM

it is impossible to prevent everything from moving around to some degree.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2010 01:45AM by atheist&happy:-).

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 02:10AM

When I went through the temple for my wedding in 1979, the two-piecers were still months away, so I bought a whole bunch of one-piece that I had to keep wearing since they were new. I not only wore my bra over the one-piece, I wore panties over them because there was NO CROTCH!! I couldn't stand it. I refused to wear them after having a baby when I had to wear a pad postpartum. I can't imagine how the women who wore them with sanitary pads (I used tampons) didn't have some major messes. UGH!!!

I got pregnant right away, and my first nursing garments were actually made with zippers down the front. Beyond idiotic. Obviously designed by men.

I hated the garments with a ferocity I can't even describe. I used every excuse in the book not to wear them. What a relief when I finally took them off and tossed them in the garbage, marks and all.

Posted by: piper ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 11:04AM

That does bring up an interesting question, though. I never wore garmies, but how DID women deal with "that time of the month?" I will have to ask my TBM mom.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 12:18PM

Apparently those pads in a suspender belt type contraption, then tampons or sticking the plasticky nasty towels to the garment bit where the crotch sohuld be.

Personaly thats one of the major putoffs that means I will never wear the jesus jamies. Natrual washable pads have popers on the wings to keep them in place instead of the stickys and are ten times more confy because of the fact theres no nasty chemicals or plastics. No one is getting in the way of that confort when things get unconftable. Those things just arnt desighned for garments and so garmie usesrs are almost always still adding to the problem of landfills being full of desposable stuff.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 03:19AM

I was the person above who said NO CROTCH, and by that I mean, there was not a strip of material that went between your legs which would serve as a foundational support. There was a gap where two pieces of material from each side of the garment overlapped, and you could part those two overlapping layers to go to the bathroom. A woman could NOT secure a pad to this. If you wore a pad with a sanitary belt, the pad was still floating freely around your crotch area because there was no snugness, and nothing holding things in place.

Crathes above says, "Regarding the comment above regarding "NO CROTCH", please note that it was not until 1920's that the crotch was enclosed for both men and women. It was the double fold of extra material, that led to serious wedgies."

I'm not an expert on garment history, but when I got married in 1979, the only option was the one-piece variety which is exactly as Crathes described. I don't know what happened in the 1920s, but the "closing of the crotch" was not done then.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 03:32AM

DebbiePA I laughed at your post,but at the time I was going through those same exact things it was hardly funny. I married in 1972 and hated those 1 piecers. I wore panties too because I hated the exposed feeling. It was quite an improvement when they came out with the 2 piecers-but they are still hideous.

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 02:58AM

I've never been endowed either (at least not in the religious sense, lol).

But I've always wondered what garments felt like. Wish I could find a pair on ebay or something, just out of curiosity, lol.

Posted by: Lovelylezzie ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 12:23PM

Hey Melissa

I thought I had thrown all of mine out, but I came across a couple of pair just the other day. Don't know what size you'd be but I'll send them to you if you're really interested!

Posted by: Anon garments ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 11:14AM

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 11:58AM

It must depend on the person, because mine did.

Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 03:45AM

Mine did too. It was horrible.

Posted by: Anon garments ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 12:26PM

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 11:21AM

Regarding the comment above regarding "NO CROTCH", please note that it was not until 1920's that the crotch was enclosed for both men and women. It was the double fold of extra material, that led to serious wedgies.

My wife calls them "WAU" - weird ass underwear.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 11:30AM

My mother's garments had the crotch slit. (I'm still traumatized by it to this day.) However, my former wife's garments never had the slit. My parents wear the old time one-piece garments though. They were upset when I decided to wear the two-piece garments so I wouldn't have to remove my shirt to pee.

Did they get rid of the slit in the 1979 garment change or what's the story with that?

Date: November 23, 2010 01:03PM

re: garment -- wear next to the skin. It was the one piece.

This was the time when some women (usually older women in UT and ID) were still wearing the garment 24/7 and never taking it completely off even to bathe. I've shared one of those stories.

I've told the story of how I was a new convert, and the Rel. Soc. Pres ordered garments for me in nylon, and in a size too small, right before we were moving from OR to UT! It was customary for the Rel Soc. Pres to order your first set.
They were HOT and I could not sleep in them at night, plus the lace made me itch.
Years later, I called the Specials Dept and got a hold of a really nice lady that took my measurements and made them to fit -- with a real cap sleeve, and the seam under the breast in the right place.
I was so disgusted that they made so few sizes. Women don't come in two sizes!

These years in the 60's garments were easily purchased at Penny's over the counter in UT (and other places I am told) with a check or cash.

They could always be ordered by phone from Beehive Clothing Mills. In the 70's it was common to use a credit card when ordering over the phone rather than sending a check with your order.

Later, sometime in the 80's-90's I heard from other ladies that the instructions varied: next to the skin, or over the bra.Always over the bra when nursing, of course. They made nursing tops also.

We were also told never to put the garment on the floor.
Some ladies had very strict washing methods also.
Not me.:-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.