Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 07:52PM

So I posted on FB one of the articles about church membership rapidly declining and a TBM responded, "this has already been foretold by the prophets. Even the elect shall fall away. We already know the playbook. My testimony is strengthened seeing this prophecy come to pass. The rest of us just have to remain strong and endure to the end."

Wow. *facepalm*

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 07:59PM

Thank you. More evidence that my post, "It Won't Matter" has merit.

Date: January 31, 2012 08:04PM

Exactly.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 08:00PM

Yes, have started hearing this one a lot by TBM's. If the church is growing then it proves the church is true. If the opposite is happening then it means it was foretold and that even the elect will fall a way and that its the end times, etc.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 09:28PM

Except that "the church is the fastest growing church" argument keeps on going years after there is zero justification for it. But argue it they continue to do.

This new argument-that the losses are merely the prophesied "elect shall fall" bs- will likely have a lot more "legs", and will prolly actually be true for the foreseeable future. Hah!

Posted by: paylayale ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 09:31AM

If they really believe that a diminished church size shows how "true" it is, then they should stop all missionairy activity and make the church "more true".

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 08:00PM

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 08:01PM

WOW! Just makes the hard core TBMs feel even more rightous..

Posted by: Mormonisn't ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 08:58PM

"remain strong and endure to the end?"

follow the profit or was he peeping as a man on this?

“Life is to be enjoyed, not endured”
― Gordon B. Hinckley

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 09:37PM

WOW, what a promotion! Going from an apostate controlled by Satan to an "elect who fell away" feels pretty good.

I always knew I was so speshule

Ana

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 12:16AM

+10

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 09:41PM

That response makes me sick. They don't realize how crazy they really sound.

Date: February 01, 2012 12:36AM

Seriously!!! WHO TALKS LIKE THAT?!?! Oh yeah...brainwashed zombies on autopilot.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 09:42PM

So...if you're one of the elect, how could you ever fall away?

Unless it don't mean jackshit.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 10:36PM

"The Mormon Church is the FASTEST GROWING CHURCH IN THE WORLD. That proves that we must have the true gospel!"

"The Mormon Church is losing members in record numbers. This fulfills a prophecy about even the very elect falling away. This proves that we must have the true gospel!"

As usual, the Mormons play both sides of the fence.

Date: January 31, 2012 11:40PM

LOL! That was pretty much my response! I said, so, the church growing = church is true. And the church losing members also = the church is true?

Either way you slice it, the church is true. Gotta hand it to Joseph and Brigham...they were no dummies.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 12:08AM

Yep gotta hand it to them! Messing up families for time and all eternity.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 09:40AM

no matter what.

Quite clever to prophesy two opposing things: That the rock that was cut without hands will go forth and fill the whole earth. AND that even the very elect will be deceived when there is a falling away.

Those who want to believe have a prophecy to fuel their faith no matter what.

But both prophesies actually fail miserably. Less than 1% of the world's population is Mormon. And the "very elect" that leave the church? The aren't deceived. The ones who STAY are deceived.

The two opposing prophesies remind of many things in the scriptures and doctrine. It is RARELY consistent, but people pick what appeals to them at the moment and ignore the discrepancy. Example: Book of Mormon condemns polygamy, and then the D & C requires it. Or the old faith vs. works dilemma in the NT. People just focus on what they WANT to believe.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 10:58PM

so what distinguishes an elect from a non elect member???$$$$$???? race, size of family, tbm royalty???? gender? I would like an GA explanation on these

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 11:45PM

So lets flip for it shall we?

Heads I win

Tails you lose.

Mormons can't see it in themselves!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 11:52PM

Exactly. It just goes to show how the hardcore believers will protect their testimony, no matter what.

This is why I'm learning that there's no point in ever engaging them in a discussion when they're in that mode.

Church is growing = the Church is true.

Church is declining is, "Oh my gosh! That was prophesied" = the Church is true.

It's the way they think.

They give a blessing, the person lives = "It's a miracle. The Church is true!"

They give a blessing and the person dies = "We're being taught to be humble and to accept God's will, so the Church is true."

They give a blessing, and the person is still alive, but is really struggling = "God will have a tried and a tested people. Our time is not God's time. Patience is a virtue. The Church is true!"

No matter what the issue, their God wins every time. It's a totally fail-safe system.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 12:14AM

who make me glad that Moism takes advantage of the thick-headedness.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 02:10AM

But wasn't this prophesy applied in the 1800's when the early members of the church genuinely believed that they were living in the last days and that the second coming was imminent? Certainly many members (including apostles) did fall away at that time.

In fact didn't the early Christians believe that Jesus would return imminently?

It's like telling every rising generation of youth that they are the very elect. They grow up and then their children are told the very same thing, and on and on.... Seems like TSCC likes to spin 'prophecies' multiple times whenever it's convenient to suit themselves.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 09:10AM

I think what the rank and file members will never understand, is that Marlin Jensen IS one of the elect. Those above him are corrupt. Jensen was my stake president when I was a young adult. He is a sincere true believer. I think he actually believes that the church can withstand the scrutiny of opening itself to questions about its doctrine and history. He believes that the church can expand enough to be compassionate to gay members. I think those above him saw him as a "yes" man and a lawyer, a perfect choice for church historian. He didn't give this the spin they thought he would. Retired at 70? Puh-leez! In the gerontocracy he's on the young end.

Posted by: paylayale ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 09:28AM

If that is the case then we will have a better world

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 10:30AM

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 11:09AM

This has always been the apologetic tactic: opposites are not contradictory to them.

Several years ago there was an article in Dialogue about the church in Latin America, written by a Mormon.

He documented that many wards and stakes had been eliminated. He said they had been "consolidated" and cited that as evidence that the church in Latin America is "growing."

Posted by: untarded ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 11:42AM

I used to think it would be cool to have a GA apostatize, but now I realize that every one of them mo-fo's know it's all a scam.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 12:06PM

I love this thread. There's nothing cultish about the mormon church. The people are intelligent, free-thinking individuals.

Posted by: motherwhoknows ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 04:12PM

Yes, but, didn't Thomas Monsoon-bag say that the Last Days are NOT approaching anytime soon?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.