Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 06:57PM

If so, I wonder how many priesthood blessings were/are negated by "counterfeit" olive oil?

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/08/13/070813fa_fact_mueller

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elohim ( )
Date: January 31, 2012 10:50PM

Remember also, that it not only must be olive oil - it must also be EXTRA VIRGIN olive oil.

Refined olive oil just isn't good enough. Really. Don't press the issue any further.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 12:17AM

Just curious. Does the church own any olive orchards? If not they are missing a great way to bilk the members out of even more money.

Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 12:47AM

Wow! This reminded me of when I was about 6, I drank my father's holy oil & replaced it with sunflower body wash...God didn't strike me down, so I figured that he must not have cared too awful much.

LOL...the "sacred grove of olives"??

Date: February 01, 2012 12:52AM

Did you become more sanctified?

Date: February 01, 2012 01:14AM

Not that I noticed. LOL

Date: February 01, 2012 01:23AM

BTW, how does the oil get consecrated? It was always a big mystery to me.
And do you know the reason behind the circular conga line for giving blessings? Not to be overtly disrespectful, but as a kid, that's what it looked like to me...

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 02:03AM

I remember that the container with the oil MUST be open. Then, speak something along the lines of: "Having the authority of the holy Melchelzidic priesthood I consecrate this oil for the pupose of the healing of the sick and affected. In the name of J.C. Amen"

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 02:04AM

There is an actual Melchizedek Priesthood ordinance for consecrating oil. It goes like this:
1.Hold the open container of olive oil.
2.Address our Heavenly Father as in prayer
3. State authority (Melchizedek Priesthood) by which oil is consecrated.
4. Consecrate the oil (not the container) and set it apart for the blessing and anointing of the sick and afflicted.
5. Close in the name of Jesus Christ.

And presto - you have magic oil!

Date: February 01, 2012 04:00PM

I love that the container has to be opened. Obviously, the power of the priesthood can't make it through plastic, glass or metal.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 04:39PM

Are you allowed to put it on salad? How about The Magic Olive Oil Cookbook?

Posted by: fetching49 ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 02:14AM

The oil is consecrated by the powerof the priesthood

There is an actual Melchizedek Priesthood ordinance for consecrating oil. It goes like this:
1.Hold the open container of olive oil.
2.Address our Heavenly Father as in prayer
3. State authority (Melchizedek Priesthood) by which oil is consecrated.
4. Consecrate the oil (not the container) and set it apart for the blessing and anointing of the sick and afflicted.
5. Close in the name of Jesus Christ.

And presto - you have magic oil!

^^^
It is magic! Because in a pinch you have a perfect salad dressing! Right there on your very own keychain! The uber Mormon is always smart enough to mix his oil with vinegar and spices before heading out the door. And let's not forget that those little keychain viles are also good for discretely carrying around your favorite lube. :) Those Mormon Boyscouts really know how to live up to their motto- Be Prepared!

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 06:55AM

I used to keep a little vial of it on my keychain. I went for several years without having to use it. My sister asked for a blessing and I opened it up only to find that the oil had gone rancid. I remember being a little miffed at the time. I was still TBM but having some doubts. Now why in the world would oil consecrated by god go rancid after I’d dutifully had it with me for years for just this occasion?

Date: February 01, 2012 04:02PM

I wonder how many cokehead Mormons have kept their Peruvian marching powder in their nifty little aircraft aluminium keychain vials.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 04:34PM

The instructions say: "only pure olive oil" is to be used to be consecrated for blessings of the sick. (Whatever that means.)
I don't know the reason, but I presume it has a Biblical connection to the Olive Tree...??

Date: February 01, 2012 04:35PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The instructions say: "only pure olive oil" is to
> be used to be consecrated for blessings of the
> sick. (Whatever that means.)
> I don't know the reason, but I presume it has a
> Biblical connection to the Olive Tree...??
They claim that "the ancients did it that way."
It's traditional.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 04:47PM

"Pure" is a grade of olive oil that usually contains refined olive oil. See below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_oil

In countries that adhere to the standards of the IOC[33] the labels in stores show an oil's grade.

Extra-virgin olive oil comes from virgin oil production only, contains no more than 0.8% acidity, and is judged to have a superior taste.

Virgin olive oil comes from virgin oil production only, has an acidity less than 2%, and is judged to have a good taste.

Pure olive oil. Oils labeled as Pure olive oil or Olive oil are usually a blend of refined and virgin production oil.

Olive oil is a blend of virgin and refined production oil, of no more than 1.5% acidity. It commonly lacks a strong flavor.

Olive pomace oil is refined pomace olive oil often blended with some virgin oil. It is fit for consumption, but may not be described simply as olive oil.

Lampante oil is olive oil not suitable as food; lampante comes from olive oil's long-standing use in oil-burning lamps. Lampante oil is mostly used in the industrial market.

Refined olive oil is the olive oil obtained from virgin olive oils by refining methods that do not lead to alterations in the initial glyceridic structure.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 04:55PM

Several years ago when my mother was very sick, I went to visit her at home. While visiting, I came across a small, odd bottle in the refrigerator and I asked my brother what it was.

"Consecrated oil," he said proudly, "for when we give Mom a blessing."

"Consecrated oil?" I repeated with a quizzical look on my face. "What's it doing in the fridge? You mean it still spoils after it's been consecrated?

(No answer, but seriously dirty look.)

Date: February 01, 2012 04:45PM

What about the circular conga line thing? What's that all about?
Somehow, asking my TBM brother about it is now deemed "totally offensive" since I'm not a member anymore...whatever.

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: February 02, 2012 04:42AM

'circular conga line' hahahaha

totally know what you're talking about

you have a way with words...

Date: February 01, 2012 04:52PM

There is no "circular congo line" that I know of, unless that is a reference to the "prayer circle" that is only performed traditionally in the temples at a certain part of the Endowment. No oil is used in the prayer circle.

Date: February 02, 2012 01:38AM

When I got my confirmation blessing, the elders quorum stood in a circle & put one hand on eachother's shoulders and one hand on my head, & I was like "what the hell are they doing?"

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 09:47PM

How about Umbrian? I suppose Californian olive oil is out. Tunisian olive oil is probably no encouraged, and Greek olive only tolerated.

Date: February 02, 2012 01:30AM

I'd go with Galilean, just to be historically safe. Kind of difficult to get here though, so, I guess Syrian might do.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: February 02, 2012 01:45AM

Did anyone elses family not cook with olive oil because it was some how sacred and only used for blessings not for eating? The olive oil would have a bigger positive impact on a persons health if they ate it rather than rubbing it on their head.

Date: February 02, 2012 01:26PM

There are many ancient traditions involving anointing the body with oil, and other substances. In the LDS tradition, it seems to be continued in some form from the Biblical traditions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.