Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rt ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:50PM

I read there's a picture of Tom Monson shaking hands with Erich Honecker, but Google returns no hits. Does anyone know where I can find that photo online?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 24, 2010 04:06PM

In the meantime I checked a few magazines like Dialogue but no luck. Does anyone know if that picture is in this account of Tommy's adventures among the reds of East Germany?

http://www.amazon.com/Faith-Rewarded-Personal-Prophetic-Promises/dp/157345186X/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290632614&sr=1-5

Please don't tell me the church has successfully suppressed this material? If anyone gets me the picture, I'll put it on my blog for posterity.

Posted by: Flyer ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 05:46PM

Stevo,

Will you do a review of this book by Tommy the Munster:

Faith Rewarded: A Personal Account of Prophetic Promises to the East German Saints [Hardcover]
Thomas S. Monson (Author)

How in the hell did he spin his involvement in getting East Germans to accept a cult as a positive? Aren't the Germans the ones who kicked Scientologists out (or was it the French)?

Date: November 25, 2010 12:04PM

Yeah, you found it! Thanks a lot, rutabaga, you're an internet genius!

I'll post it under the article of faith that says they believe in being obedient to kings and stuff.

Again, thank you for your help. I'd kiss you if I could (and if were reasonably sure you're a hot chick).

Date: November 25, 2010 12:10PM

Whar do you know, as a result of Honecker's order to shoot to kill people who tried to flee from East Germany, some 125 people were killed - roughly the same number as the Mormons killed at Mountain Meadows...

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 06:09PM

Poor Mr Honecker. He never recovered from the shame.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 06:27PM

Monson, representing LDS, Inc., eagerly flew to East Germany to schmooze the Russian-backed tyrant and shake Honecker's hand, stained though it was with the blood of innocents.

Apparently it's acceptable in the minds of money-grubbing Mormons if Monson flirts with a cold-blooded killer and tyrant like Honecker, as long as it helps push product line.

Enter ever-ready Mormon manufacturers of pretty figurines and other sacred knickknacks eager to note on their commercial website that Mormon Mafioso Monson gave Communist Criminal Honecker one of their own celestially-crafted creations.

The company "Hansen Classics," which produces the porcelain family figurines so prevalent in LDS hearth and home, made this sales pitch, heralding an October 1988 photograph showing Monson and Honecker in notorious kiss-up mode (which is no longer found on its original website, hmmmmm . . .):

"President Thomas S. Monson, second [counselor in the] Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints shakes hands with East German state and party leader Erich Honecker. President Monson presented Honecker Friday with a gift sculpture, 'In The Family Circle,' and praised the East German government for its CORPORATION [yes, that's an actual typo, emphasis added] with Church members."

(for the now-sanitized site, now for some reason not showcasing the Monson-Honecker meet-and-greet photo and its accompanying description, see: "Hansen Classics: Fine Porcelain Figurines," at: http://www.hansenclassics.com/news.html)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 08:44PM

That the wall fell because of the church, and because of the need for the missionary effort to roll forth in Eastern Europe. The church did it.

Arrogant, or what?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.