Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: question asker ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 07:24AM

Foe example,if you are a pefectly respectable person who is not a Mormon,and non Mormon people in general have no problem with you as a person for any reason,could all that change if you lived in Rexburg,Idaho with a 95% Mormon population?

If the the rexburg child protective services are staffed by self righteous Mormons,could you be accused of being a bad parent just for not being a Mormon and ahve your children taken away from you,when it would never ever happen for any reason in a place like Ohio or Colorado?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 09:23AM

But there is lots of anecdotal evidence that Mormons will always discriminate when they're in the majority. Ask any non-Mormon who has had to live in the Morridor. We know that Mormons themselves have a difficult time when the tables are turned, at which time they complain and whine that people discriminate against the Mormonism.

Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 12:25PM

...According to family background, perceived worthiness, etc.

I was a born and raised California Mormon who attended BYU Provo and, even though I was supposedly surrounded by my "own" people, it was a huge culture shock that I never quite got over with in 4+ years there. The judgments I received because I was from California, because I came from a convert family, because my parents divorced, etc., were all from my supposed "brothers and sisters".

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 03:02PM

good point

Posted by: thederz ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 11:19AM

I'm a convert too and my parents are divorced. There have been situations when someone would be talking about the "evils" of divorce and then remember that I'm there and then as if no one else was in the room say to me, "We'll thats ok for you though, you couldn't help what your parents did".... Umm Ok.

I don't know. No one really made a big deal about it, I think its because my mom, brother and I joined the church and then my dad and step-mom joined literally a month later because they came to our baptism.

Everyone thought it would be a bid deal that they went to the same ward but my mom and dad are better friends now that their divorced. Just fell out of love

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 05:24PM

Amen to that, I moved to SLC for a few months because of work, the ward there was so cold we got outta dodge in 4 months when work expected me to be there indefinitely.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 12:42PM

Yes. I've heard parents discuss taking their kids out of a class because the teacher was not LDS...with no other justification.

Yes. I know that LDS people will conduct business (real estate transactions come to mind here...) with each other and avoid non-LDS.

Yes. I know that employment opportunities arise and are filled with LDS hires rather than equally or better qualified non-LDS hires.

Yes. I know that LDS parents will not let their kids play with non-LDS kids (been there myself).

Of course it happens. The best outcome is to act friendly to them and hide your real feelings. Sing out fake praise for them occasionally.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 03:17PM

Hell, I remember being taken out of consideration for hiring at the company I was working for in the year I graduated college (1978), after my immediate manager asked me if I was going to go on a mission after I graduated and I said no. They belatedly offered me something a few months later, but i had already accepted a job out of state by then.

Posted by: MiddleSchoolreasercher ( )
Date: March 19, 2012 01:23PM

Hiim doing a paper about mormons for school (have to) and I was wondering is i could get some sort of interview with a mormon? for good info? e-mail me at kllrabuck@gmail.com

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 05:34PM

"Yes. I know that employment opportunities arise and are filled with LDS hires rather than equally or better qualified non-LDS hires."

I have seen this in Utah County

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 12:54PM

If in the majority, they will discriminate and say, "we founded this state, if you don't like it, then leave.

If in the minority (most of the world) then if in any way put upon (don't get to make all the decisions) then they claim persecution.

They are covered either way.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 12:55PM

My sister and I took a two week long workshop at Snow College. There were about 25 people in the class. Three of them weren't mormon. For some reason other class member came to the conclusion we weren't mormons. I can't figure out why. Maybe it was because we showed up late, left early, and were laughing and having a good time and they couldn't see our garmie lines.

There was a pair or RSP's sitting in front of us. They would hardly look at us or talk to us unless they had to. One of them kept making snotty remarks to me about my sister. She asked me if I had a problem with my sister being so lazy. She made a snotty comment about her being dressed too young for her age. One insult after another. A few others in the class were giving us the cold shoulder. I finally couldn't take it anymore and let them have it. After a comment about my haircut making me look silly (natural platinum cut in a bob, i think she was jealous) I told her, in a voice for all to hear, that I was sick and tired of being treated like dirt. I don't care if you like me or not, but quit bullying me and my sister. You are an embarrassment to your religion. If I had a non mo friend here I would be so ashamed. You are some of the meanest nastiest people I have ever had the misfortune to spend time with! I am here to have fun, and that's what I'm going to do! I than sat down and proceeded with my project. You could have heard a pin drop.
Later a few came and apologized to us. The two B&$&#'s in front just kept it up. I moved my table, and proceed to prank them before I left town. I know immature, but I just had to.
People came up to us and said we're sorry. We had no idea you were members! What!? If they thought we weren't, shouldn't they be going out of their way to show us how nice mo's are? These people were seriously screwed up!

The funniest thing that happened was those old ladies were all over the instructor.They were in love with this guy. They were constantly competing for his attention. He would stand up there and tell church stories every day like he was some super Mo. In a private conversation he told us he had been excommunicated over doctrinal issues. HE was the non-Mo! They just didn't know it. The joke was on them.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 02:45PM

Over the years I was passed over for promotions and always told that "brother asswipe" served his mission and deserves it more than you. I reminded them I served 6 years in the Navy defending their ass.
Seemed most places I worked was very mormonized. And they was blatent about it. Book of mormon laying everywhere,,Joes pictue,,temple pictures. I walked out one day and started my own business. Even then some people were not willing to deal with a non-mo. Glad I am retired and don't have to put up with it anymore.

Posted by: doubleb ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 02:53PM

Short answer: yes.
Long answer: of course.

I know that I've been both the giver and taker of discrimination regarding members or non-members at various points in my life. And I'm sick about both situations.

Posted by: John Wesley ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 03:14PM

...that there is a certain similarity of mind-set among religious fundamentalists, whether they are Islamic fundamentalists, Protestant fundamentalists, conservative Catholics, Ultra-Orthodox Jews, or conservative Mormons. They all are suspicious of the "unbelievers", and would often kill them if they thought that was their religious duty. They are all quite intolerent when in the majority, and when they have unchecked power.

Posted by: Cunning Linguist ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 08:39PM

I have been a Catholic (quit over Humanae Vitae and birth control), a Trotskyst (ah, teenagers...), a Missouri Synod Lutheran. Now, I am me. I hope.

What you say is true.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 08:28PM

I applied for a full time teaching job at a state college in Utah. When the job came open, I applied again and once again, but never got past the first interview. By this time, I had been an adjunct teacher (AT THAT SAME STATE RUN COLLEGE) for 5 years.
All of the students there etc. really liked me and I was a great teacher, (yes it sounds like bragging, but I was).
I finally got angry enough to ask my boss (a TBM but quite openminded for a TBM) about it.
I was told outright that I would never be able to get the full time job b/c I would never have a TR. I was shocked. I had seen all kinds of prejudice due to Morgs growing up there, but I thought it was illegal for a STATE run school to do that. I decided NO MORE, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
So, I moved out of there and NO I don't miss Utah. It is culture shock in a nice way when you get out of there and see the reality of things.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 08:49PM

SO OF COURSE MORmONS discriminate against non MORmONS
..... are you surprised about that? coming from a *church* responsible for 148 years of formal institutional discrimination/racismm -the foremost formally racist organization in U.S. history, NOT the KKK BTW. A *church* founded by a man who demanded the right to marry other lesser members men's wives?

if it makes you feel any better MORmON leaders are perfectly capable of being grossly unfair to other MORmON members
because they; were divorced, are merely converts, dont have a prominent MORmON family name, have never had an upper leadership position, take your choice of BS MORmONS antics, etc

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 07:16PM

but now, now that I know the Orwellian mind-bending that Mormons do, I don't know. The job would have to be a nothing job or the candidate would have to be ranked highly by everyone else on the committee. I would not go to bat for the person unless he or she was clearly the best qualified.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 09:59AM

Most definitely YES! My wife grew up Catholic in Raymond, Alberta and the tales she tells me about how she and her Catholic friends were treated surprised me. I was pretty naive about it before I met her.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 07:20PM

He treated us like insiders and as we left for a lunch break he whispered tips on which eateries were owned by mormons. Then in a dismissive tone he told us which ones to avoid because they server beer and wine and mormons don't patronize them.

Guess where we ate? I've had better wine but never better company than the customers and servers in that little bistro.

Posted by: King Benjamin ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 07:30PM

Mormons discriminate like any group in the majority. Now, regarding the DCFS issue:

I live in very rural Utah and had a great experience as a Foster-Adopt Parent and an ex-Mormon. DCFS in our area is nearly 100% LDS, and I didn't feel discriminated against at all. In fact, we foster-adopted our son, who came from a dysfunctional Mormon family...and DCFS called us about him. What I didn't do was berate, belittle, or act with hostility towards anyone, and they're pretty good to return the same treatment.

I wish I could feel as hostile towards Mormons as other people here. Maybe all the Mormon towns I've lived in along I-15 have just been exceptionaly excellent Mormon towns and I've just not experienced the quasi-demonic culture many of you describe. I know of crazy Mormons, but I think they are the exception, not the rule.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 10:15AM

I think they consider it more "helping the righteous" like a roommate of mine that always shopped at a certain, more expensive grocery store to help the owners with their desire to keep the sabbath day holy. Their store was closed on Sunday.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 12:54PM

Mormons always give preferential treatment to their own.

In my state, the dental school has a steady enrollment of Mormons thanks to a member on the school's admission board. Apparently the agreement amongs board members is each gets to hand select a few every year.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 02:11PM

The last category of gentiles, unworthy and worldly humankind are not part of the mormon kingdom of god. Mormons don't like rewarding or associating with the Unworthy gentiles if there are deserving mormons who can benefit from their assistance, attention, or their purchasing power.

This is why with everything being equal I'd rather not go to mormon doctors or dentists. I think in a pinch they'd use their time and talents to better advantage for their mo patients and to my detriment.

I attended a UU Church which hired a mormon contractor and had serious problems. The roof leaked, walls cracked, front door fell off it's hinges. Often when they called the contractor for repairs he would be doing contracting work at the Oakland temple which he considered much more important because of it's being the lord's house and mormons being more deservering.

Date: January 27, 2012 10:44PM

It has been my experience in southern Alberta that if Mormon or an evangelical "christian" (lots of them here too) screws you over in a business deal, and you're not one of them...they figure it's no big thing...

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 05:32PM

Oh I disagree, having also grown up in Southern Alberta I know that it's no big thing if you screw over people in your own ward as well.

Date: March 19, 2012 01:51PM

YES!!!....my Catholic wife grew up in the MORG belt of southern Alberta in Raymond...and she sure felt the discrimination....and we live 10 miles north of that little "PAYTON PLACE" and can smell the smug self righteousness from here when the wind is right...or maybe that's the big cattle feedlot close by there...same difference...it's all BS.....

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: March 19, 2012 01:59PM

I have noticed this. I think Mormons are generally nicer people when the population is watered down.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 19, 2012 03:09PM

In a way it's true, when my mom remarried and moved to Vegas after she retired, she got a part time job at a company that does school pictures, and it's owned by Mormons. She was one out of 3 non-Mormons, and she was asked why she won't convert, often in front of everyone. It was something where she was on call, and she noticed that since the pictures were done in the fall, she hasn't been called back and she figures it's because she's not Mormon.

On the other hand, the Mormons in her new husband's family are actually really nice, and have never once pushed their beliefs on her, or the rest of us in her side of the family. In fact, they were shocked when she mentioned how those people were treating her and the other non-Mormon employees. She just did that job because she still wanted to work a little bit, even though she can comfortably live off of her retirement income.

Fortunately, I've lived where Mormons are a relative minority so the vast majority of them have been really nice. There have been others who were arrogant because they thought they were better than everyone else, especially one family who was Mormon Royalty in that their ancestors were actual sisters who became sister wives to Joesph Smith.

Posted by: 048Meg ( )
Date: April 30, 2012 01:04PM

I live in Idaho, so i dont know what its like there in Utah, but I have heard from one of my mormon teachers that in Utah, you are either a mormon or a mormon hater. Here, it is totally different. Almost all the mormons I know dont hang out with their big group of mormon friends. I dont. Yes, I am mormon. Yes, there are a lot of mormons that arent very nice to say the least, but not all mormons are rude and prejudiced against nonmormons. I only have about 3 mormon friends, and they arent the ones that I hang out with most of the time. I know I dont look down on "non mos" I used to live In Texas and Noeth Carolina where we were the minority. I dont automatically think someone is bad or "not good enough to talk to" just because they arent mormon. Most of the time, it is the other way around. The most common saying I hear is "She/ he's mormon." And that automatically makes everyone think that we cant do anything and that we will preach to you. Not true. Not everyone who has strict parents are mormon. Every religion, every race, every minority has people that are rude and inconsiderate, please dont judge us by the few that are rude to you.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: April 30, 2012 01:28PM

You may be the exception, but the other 4 million "actives" are the rule.
Does your bishop know you're posting on an exmormon site? Associating with apostates is one of those pesky temple recommend questions...

We come here to vent. You can go back to the babycenter lds board and vent about us there.

Spend your time changing your fellow members' behavior. We already know the truth.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: April 30, 2012 01:41PM

I know for a fact there is a mormon on the board of the dental school of a major midwestern university who hand picks mormon students only. This person insures there is a steady pipeline of mormon students in this school for no other reason than they are mormon.

Posted by: Ceci ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 11:02AM

I live in Idaho in a predominately mormon neighborhood. Not all the mormons are bad. There is just enough to make the neighborhood a bad place to live for non-mormons. It only takes a few.
One neighbor called the police on my sons for false compliants to harass us just so we would not be at their bus stop and play with their kids. They accused them of stealing from their yard which looks like a junk yard while they were on vacation. My kids never even set foot in their garbage dump they call a yard.
My one son is a teenager who is into video games and not elementary school toys. The other was playing at other friends houses.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.