Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: my2cents ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 07:35PM

I actually dreaded going just because LDS funerals are so heavy on Mormon doctrine, and so light on the deceased. And, it seems that I've heard on this and other boards that the CHI has now has very explicit instructions for Bishops regarding funerals held in LDS Chapels. Anyone who has access to the new CHI and funeral instructions can chime in here.

This funeral was for the brother of my daughter-in-law, who passed away quite unexpectedly at the age of 33, leaving a wife and 4 children. The oldest is in high school. The funeral lasted nearly 1 1/2 hours, with 3 of the kids speaking, his sisters and brother, brother-in-laws, 2 musical numbers. His current Bishop spoke, as did a former Bishop. The talks from both Bishops took no more than 5 or 6 minutes total time, with brief remarks about the plan of salvation and the resurrection.

The rest of the service was totally focused on the deceased, with all the speakers telling of their fondest memories. It was truly a celebration of his life, told through those who were closest to him.

I thought that it was very different from other LDS funerals that I've been to in LDS chapels. As I recall, the emphasis was on Mormonism, doctrine, plan of salvation, etc, etc, with a short eulogy of the deceased. So, my question is whether the bishop let the family go totally off the grid with this funeral, or have things changed drastically in the years since I attended those heavy doctrine laden funerals?

I have something in the back of my mind that the great BKP has said something regarding the proper content of funerals in LDS Chapels. Does anyone have the newest funeral instructions from that new CHI?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 07:38PM

Sounds like this leader was one of the good ones. I'm really happy for the sake of the grieving family that he was. I can't think of anything worse than having your moment of pain coopted by an agenda.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 08:07PM

Factors vary:

The more non- and ex-Mormons in the deceased family, the more emphasis on the POS.

The more focused the deceased was on career and community and charity work, the more emphasis on POS.

My cousin was a wonderful, caring MD, who was a veteran, and who later volunteered in Afganistan several times as a doctor, was one of the founders of a clinic, who helped teach inner-city kids to read, and played in a band at rest homes. "The Church" was not the central focus of his life, and the Bishop and SP refused to allow his wife and children (inactive) the funeral they had planned, so they had the service at the funeral home. Smart move!

The more non- or ex-Mormons in the audience, the more they lay on the BS. They barely mentioned the POS at my relative's funeral, because he had been a temple president, mission president, and stake president, and his family were all faithful sheep.

By the way, IMO, the measure of a Mormon woman's faithfulness is the number of children/grandchildren/great grandchildren who stand up to sing "I Am A Child of God." They like to do that at the beginning, so everyone can comment on it for the rest of the funeral.

My children had to sing at the funeral of their Mormon grandmother who had dis-owned and dis-inherited them when their father abandoned them. He and I had not been married in the temple, and the grandparents thought our kids were sealed to my previous temple husband, and not to their inactive son. I had been temple-married only a few months, got divorced, and didn't have children until several years later--obviously their blood grandchildren--they look alike. But their aunt lined my kids up, and they could not get out of singing. They didn't even know the words! They just stood there, felt stupid, and could barely remember their grandmother, anyway. I offered to hire some kids to go in their place. You know, like some people in the South hire professional mourners at their funerals.

For my own funeral, I'ld like to hire some of those mourners to wail loudly and tearfully, "Thank-you, Jesus!" and interrupt every time some Bp tries to talk about the Mormon POS.

I'm doing what my cousin did, and have already paid in advance for the use of the mortuary chapel.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 08:09PM

I went to a TBM funeral a few weeks ago that was held in the chapel. It was pretty much the same as your experience - except for a talk by a GA wannabe SP - all focused on the deceased.

Maybe the TBMs are voting with their actions - funerals are NOT missionary opportunities.

Posted by: kristall ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 09:57AM

Remembering and testifying of the Plan of Salvation and the knowledge of seeing our deceased again is how we as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints mourn. It brings us great comfort and peace to know of God's plan at a sad time. Just because you do not believe that, does not make it untrue or wrong.

I attended a Catholic funeral not long ago where the Father read verbatim written prayers and then they lit incense and ate plastic tokens. It was not personal to the deceased. But I didn't criticize the Catholic Church for it, because that may be how they mourn and how they find comfort.

I would not expect at a funeral held in a catholic church or any other church, for free might I add, to be conducted according to my beliefs.

I respect their right to worship and mourn as they please, and expect the same privilege.

Posted by: Objective Observer ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 12:08PM

kristall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Remembering and testifying of the Plan of
> Salvation and the knowledge of seeing our deceased
> again is how we as members of The Church of Jesus
> Christ of Latter Day Saints mourn. It brings us
> great comfort and peace to know of God's plan at a
> sad time. Just because you do not believe that,
> does not make it untrue or wrong.
>
> I attended a Catholic funeral not long ago where
> the Father read verbatim written prayers and then
> they lit incense and ate plastic tokens. It was
> not personal to the deceased. But I didn't
> criticize the Catholic Church for it, because that
> may be how they mourn and how they find comfort.
>
> I would not expect at a funeral held in a catholic
> church or any other church, for free might I add,
> to be conducted according to my beliefs.
>
> I respect their right to worship and mourn as they
> please, and expect the same privilege.

Hmm...you don't criticize and respect their right to eat "plastic tokens?"

Why not respect their right to consume the bread representing the body of Christ, as he directed at the last supper?

No worries though...I respect your right to drink tap water instead of the blood of Christ (because tap water is free and reduces operating costs).

But thanks stopping by! Maybe you'll learn something. ;)

Posted by: Freitasonthefly ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 09:19AM

You seem to have some sort of chip on your shoulder - so sad. FYI I know, being a former Catholic, that Catholics believe the wafer consumed is the body of Christ and the wine is his blood. Not merely representing.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 12:14PM

kristall Wrote:
> Remembering and testifying of the Plan of
> Salvation and the knowledge of seeing our deceased
> again is how we as members of The Church of Jesus
> Christ of Latter Day Saints mourn. It brings us
> great comfort and peace to know of God's plan at a
> sad time. Just because you do not believe that,
> does not make it untrue or wrong.

And just because you DO believe that, does not make it true or right. It's a belief (and an irrational one), not knowledge.

Pretending to know you'll see these people again is what is being done -- not "knowing." If pretending gives you "comfort," then frankly I feel very sorry for you. You're certainly entitled to do so, of course, but it's just pretending.

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 05:06PM

It isn't how you believe or worship that is the problem. It's that you use something sacred as a sales pitch.

And by the way - Communion hosts are unleavened bread. Not plastic. (Who eats plastic? Who told you that?)

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 08:19PM

I don't want to die as a Mormon because Mormonism is so fake and speaks nothing about who I am.

I am not Joseph Smith. I am not his BS beliefs.

On the occasion of my death I want people to celebrate who I was and what I did and pledge themselves to my ideals and my family members (to the extent that they all feel good about doing so of course).

I don't want a bunch of assholes getting up there and using the occasion of my demise to spout their own brand of BS, trying to mystify my loved ones into a POS goofy land.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2010 08:19PM by derrida.

Posted by: kdog ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 10:26PM

If anything I think they're getting stricter! That's awesome that it was a good funeral. However, I've been to 3 LDS chapel funerals in the past 6 years or so and the last one was my grandpa's this past January. I was a mess when he died and I even brought a bunch of kleenex with me in the chapel expecting a huge meltdown...I teared up when my mom said the opening prayer, but after that, not one tear.

It made me and my sister sooo mad! All they talked about was the plan of salvation! Totally innapropriate at a funeral! (which I let my LDS mom know later on). For all the people that don't believe in that, it's not comforting, it's distracting and boring! (and at my grandpa's funeral 90% were non LDS). Funerals I think should be a time for mourning and remembering good stories and happy memories. But for the LDS it's a time to try to increase their numbers!

My young non-LDS cousin died a few years ago and his funeral was beautiful! They had a slide show, there was a microphone that was passed around to friends and family if they wanted to say something. The pastor was spot on when she spoke and gave a great speech. There wasn't a dry eye in the church. Now THAT'S how funerals were meant to be!

Sorry about the negativity, this is a sore subject for me as both my grandfathers got jipped when it came to their funerals. My other grandpa's was even worse. He was not mormon, 99% of the people in attendance were not mormon, and the Bishop kept saying his name wrong!! And the whole service only lasted about 30 minutes! It was to say the least very embarassing, as my mom's nevermo (is that how you say never-been-mormon?) brother and his family were in attendance and probably thinking "what the hell?"

Again, for the LDS, it's not a time of mourning but a time to convert!!

Posted by: Davey Boy ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 06:35PM

Someone I knew in the ward that I once belonged to recently died and is being buried from the local chapel, I left the church many years ago, but wonder whether to attend as I did partially respect the deceased and he was fairly close friends with my late father! What should I do?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 09, 2016 06:43PM

Your choice, Davey Boy. Expect a "plan of salvation" talk. Apart from that, the selling of the church and guilting will vary considerably per reports on this board. You may wish to be able to make a quick exit (i.e. sit at the rear of the chapel) or otherwise have a plan B.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 10:34PM

My experiences have been good. The funerals have all focused on the deceased with very little preaching. However, a TBM aunt died recently. Her funeral was held at a mortuary chapel. It was very nice, but not particularly religious. I am wondering if the family chose to have it there because the bishop wouldn't allow them to do what they liked. It really depends on the bishop. A few years ago my sister's two year old grandson died. Her bishop offered the use of the chapel even though the parents were not members. The child's Mom agreed so long as there were no restrictions on the type of service. The bishop agreed and even offered to stay away if it made them uncomfortable. The funeral consisted mainly of a slidshow, children's music and funny stories. Some of the relatives were atheist and even they liked the funeral.It just depends. I a;lso think if the family wants a totally religious ceremony complete with the plan of salvation, that is their right. It is about them, not me. If I go to a Catholic funeral, I expect there will be a mass and they are not going to change it because I might not like it.

Posted by: Sher ( )
Date: October 01, 2013 06:15PM

Handbook 2:
Administering the Church
18. Meetings in the Church

18.1 Guidelines for Planning and Conducting Meetings
18.2 Ward Meetings
18.3 Stake Meetings
18.4 Visual Aids and Audiovisual Materials in Church Meetings
18.5 Prayers in Church Meetings
18.6 Funerals and Other Services at a Time of Death
18.6.1 Death and Mourning
18.6.2 Planning and Assistance
18.6.3 Viewings (Where Customary)
18.6.4 Funeral Services
18.6.5 Music
18.6.6 Burial or Cremation
18.6.7 Financial Policies
18.6.8 Funeral Services for Nonmembers
Overlapping Meeting Schedule for Units with Different Languages

Previous
Next

18.6 Funerals and Other Services at a Time of Death

Church leaders and members seek to make the services associated with a person’s death a dignified, solemn, and spiritual experience for all who participate. These services are generally held under the direction of the bishop.

Services for people who die vary greatly around the world according to religion, culture, tradition, and legal requirements. Even services for Church members vary in different areas of the world. This section sets forth general principles that leaders should follow in funerals or other services for deceased members, regardless of tradition or culture. It also provides guidelines for determining which local traditions associated with death and mourning are appropriate to participate in and which are not.
Death and Mourning

Death is an essential part of Heavenly Father’s plan of salvation (see 2 Nephi 9:6). Each person must experience death in order to receive a perfected, resurrected body. Teaching and testifying about the plan of salvation, particularly the Savior’s Atonement and Resurrection, is an essential purpose of the services associated with a Church member’s death.

Death brings a need to comfort the living. As disciples of Jesus Christ, Church leaders and members “mourn with those that mourn … and comfort those that stand in need of comfort” (Mosiah 18:9).

In many cultures, mortician services, viewings of the body, and funerals are customary to help comfort the living and pay respectful tribute to the deceased. Where more appropriate culturally, most of these purposes could be accomplished in a family gathering, a graveside service, or another dignified and solemn setting.

Many religions and cultures have rituals, ordinances, and customs associated with death and mourning for the dead. The restored gospel of Jesus Christ has no such rituals or ordinances. Church leaders should not incorporate rituals of other religions or groups into Church services for deceased members.

Church members should show respect for the rituals and practices of other religions. However, members are counseled not to join in rituals, practices, or traditions that compromise their ability to keep the commandments or to live the principles of the restored gospel.

In connection with mourning and services for people who die, members are counseled to avoid practices or traditions that are so expensive or prolonged that they impose a hardship on the living or impair them from proceeding with their lives. Such practices include expecting excessive travel, wearing special clothing for mourning, making elaborate public announcements, paying money to the family, holding elaborate and prolonged feasts at the funeral, and holding excessive commemorative or anniversary celebrations after the funeral.

Most governments have legal requirements that regulate what occurs when a person dies. Church leaders and members should be aware of these requirements and follow them.
Planning and Assistance

When a member dies, the bishop visits the family to comfort them and offer assistance from the ward. He may ask his counselors to accompany him. The bishop offers help in notifying relatives, friends, and associates of the death. As appropriate, he also offers help in planning the funeral service, preparing a suitable obituary, and notifying newspapers of the death. If there will be a viewing of the body before the funeral service, the obituary should include the times it will begin and end.

The bishop may offer to help make mortuary and cemetery arrangements according to local laws and customs. As needed, he may offer help from the ward in providing local transportation for the family.

The bishop notifies the Melchizedek Priesthood leader who is responsible for the family so he and other brethren, including home teachers, can assist the bereaved family. Such assistance may include dressing the body of a deceased male for burial, safeguarding the home during the funeral, and providing other support (see 7.10.2).

The bishop also notifies the Relief Society president so she and other sisters, including visiting teachers, can assist the family. Such assistance may include dressing the body of a deceased female for burial, helping with flowers, tending small children, safeguarding the home during the funeral, and preparing meals (see 9.10.3).
Viewings (Where Customary)

If a viewing of the body of the deceased is held just prior to the funeral, the bishop should conclude it at least 20 minutes before the funeral begins. After the viewing, a family prayer may be offered if the family desires. This prayer should conclude before the funeral is scheduled to begin so it does not impose on the time of the congregation assembled in the chapel. The casket should be closed before it is moved to the chapel for the funeral service.

Leaders should open the meetinghouse for funeral directors at least one hour before the scheduled times for the viewing and funeral.
Funeral Services

If a funeral for a member is held in a Church building, the bishop conducts it. If a funeral is held in a home, at a mortuary, or at the graveside, the family may ask the bishop to conduct it. A bishop’s counselor may conduct if the bishop is unable to attend.

A funeral conducted by the bishop, whether in a Church building or another location, is a Church meeting and a religious service. It should be a spiritual occasion in addition to a family gathering. The bishop urges members to maintain a spirit of reverence, dignity, and solemnity during a funeral service and at gatherings connected with the service.

When a bishop conducts a funeral, he or one of his counselors oversees the planning of the service. He considers the wishes of the family, but he ensures that the funeral is simple and dignified, with music and brief addresses and sermons centered on the gospel, including the comfort afforded by the Savior’s Atonement and Resurrection. Members of the family should not feel that they are required to speak or otherwise participate in the service.

A member of the stake presidency, an Area Seventy, or a General Authority presides at funeral services he attends. The person who is conducting consults him in advance and recognizes him during the service. The presiding officer should be extended the opportunity to offer closing remarks if he desires.

Video recordings and computer or other electronic presentations should not be used as part of a funeral service. Nor should the service be broadcast on the Internet or in any other way.

Funerals should start on time. As a matter of courtesy to those who attend, services should not be too long. Funerals that last more than one and one-half hours place an undue burden on those attending and participating.

Funerals provide an important opportunity to teach the gospel and testify of the plan of salvation. They also provide an opportunity to pay tribute to the deceased. However, such tributes should not dominate a funeral service. Having large numbers of people share tributes or memories can make a funeral too long and may be inappropriate for a Church service. If family members want an extended time to share such memories, they may consider doing so in a special family gathering, separate from the funeral service.

Funeral services are not normally held on Sunday.
Music

Music for funerals might include prelude music, an opening hymn, special musical selections, a closing hymn, and postlude music. Simple hymns and other songs with gospel messages are most appropriate for these occasions. Opening and closing hymns are usually sung by the congregation.
Burial or Cremation

Where possible, deceased members who were endowed should be buried in temple clothing. Where cultural traditions or burial practices make this inappropriate or difficult, the clothing may be folded and placed next to the body in the casket. Additional instructions on temple burial clothing and dressing the dead are provided in 7.10.2, 9.10.3, and Handbook 1, 3.4.9.

If possible, at least one member of the bishopric accompanies the cortege to the cemetery. If the grave will be dedicated, he consults with the family and asks a Melchizedek Priesthood holder to do so according to the instructions in 20.9. If the family prefers, a graveside prayer rather than a dedicatory prayer may be offered.

The Church does not normally encourage cremation. However, if the body of an endowed member is being cremated, it should be dressed in temple clothing if possible. For information about dedicating the place where the ashes are kept, see 20.9.
Financial Policies

Church members who conduct or take part in funeral services should not accept fees or contributions, whether the service is for a member or a nonmember.

In some cases, bishops can arrange with morticians to provide respectable burial services at cost when expenses are paid from fast-offering funds.
Funeral Services for Nonmembers

Bishops may offer the use of Church meetinghouses for the funeral services of nonmembers. Such services generally may be held in the manner prescribed by the deceased person’s church. However, rituals of other churches or of outside organizations may not be performed in a Church meetinghouse. If the family desires, the service may be conducted by a clergyman of the person’s church, provided it is dignified and appropriate.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 01, 2013 06:33PM

I have instructed that I NOT have a church funeral...that I be buried in jeans and a t-shirt and that there be a party before, during and after....and if any of my Mormon relatives show up and are offended...they can f' off....

Ron Burr

Posted by: pop-tong ( )
Date: October 01, 2013 06:37PM

The last LDS funeral I attended was for a first cousin of my mother in-law. He was a very successful attorney, but only a social mormon, not very active but self identified as mormon.

The funeral was attended by family members many of them inactive and a lot of his business associates and friends. The attendance was similar to a stake conference the entire building was packed. The funeral was the most non-LDS, LDS funeral I've ever attended, with no talk of his religious devotion, tithing payment or W.O.W. observance and it was refreshing. After family, friends, business partners etc. had spoken, the bishop gave a brief testimony, but that was it. I doubt any of the mostly non-mormons attending even noticed the mormon content.

After it was all over, I wondered if the family had rented the chapel for the service.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 01, 2013 06:47PM

I was extremely pleased at how well my husband's funeral was handled in Jan of this year. The Bishop knew he was a dedicated true believer and I was not.

The funeral services were planned in advance with my husbands approval under the direction of our oldest son, at my husband's request as he was still a member in good standing.

The Mortuary was excellent. They remarked that they rarely have anyone come in as well planned and certain about the specifics as I was.

The service was 98% about him. The Two oldest children gave the eulogies, two gave prayers and a poem. The daughters set up lovely tables of remembrances of his life in the hall. Grandsons, brothers, brothers-in-law were pall bearers. We had so many, two switched out for two others to join between trips.

The Bishop basically bore his testimony in the service as the last speaker, which was rather short. It took less than the usual time allotted.

The Graveside was very well done also. There was time for some comments.
We had the Honor Guard,as he was a veteran,our oldest son(Retired Major in the Army) participated and presented the flag to me. I keep it in it's oak frame where I can see it most of the day!

The only problem, one which I've never encountered before was the RS ladies did not prepare enough food. Weird, I know. They apparently planned for 10 or 12 but I told the Bishop there would be closer to 30. They had to run to the store and get more food!

The comments from friends, relatives, members that attended were all positive.

I have no need for nor want an LDS funeral/service. I'l set out my wishes and given them to my family.

Posted by: straightouracumorah ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 01:06PM

I have no problem with a heavily Mormon funeral if the person was heavily Mormon. My very TBM uncle was buried recently and it was fairly heavy on the plan of salvation crap. Drove me nuts but honestly he wouldn't have wanted it any other way so that was fine.

My son was an atheist when he passed. I didn't let any Mormons near the service except at the grave side. I let my dad (one of my sons favorite people on earth) do the graveside service with a dedication. I know my son would have understood that it was important to his grandfather and would have wanted him to be able to do it even though he also would have found it silly.

Posted by: raiku ( )
Date: October 01, 2013 07:00PM

I feel weirded out by viewings, and the LDS temple clothes do not help the experience when the deceased wears them. I think I might prefer a tribal pyre funeral better than this, I've only been to LDS funerals, and it felt wrong to stand around casually socializing while the dead are lying there in full view clothed in weird temple garments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2013 07:01PM by raiku.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: October 01, 2013 07:26PM

Does the control never end?! Went to the funeral of a young man who died unexpectedly from an illness. It was so bad that even my son complained. They turned it into a lecture telling all the young men they needed to go on missions. The deceased was totally ignored. No time for his teen aged friends to share thoughts and remembrances and mourn the passing of their friend. It was utterly SHOCKING to me that the kid's own father led this bore-fest and showed no emotion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2013 07:26PM by wastedtime.

Posted by: Kristy ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 10:49AM

This is an old post, but the current comments of Kristall above caught my eye. Obviously a TBM posting here. She must be reading old posts on this site? Kristall, we're glad you're here...you are having doubts and that is good. It's good to doubt a cult.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 11:49AM

Good thread topic. I'm new[er] here also, so seeing it for the first time.

Both my parents were inactive LDS when they passed. Both of their funerals were conducted at the funeral homes who handled their remains. There were mostly LDS active or inactive at the funerals. Yet each funeral was distinctly tailored to the families, and did not include a bishop or other local LDS leader presiding.

Each parent was eulogized by family members, who voluntarily got up to share memories of that parent. We sang songs, not all were LDS hymns. Only a couple were at my mom's. Maybe one at my dad's.

Both were buried in their temple clothing. I found that offensive, because my dad wouldn't have approved in life. But since he couldn't object, it was done to pacify the active LDS in the family.

Saying goodbye was still tough, but at least it wasn't all Mormon hooplah, and sitting through what might've been an otherwise unbearable sermon or church service. Allelujah!

Posted by: cpete ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 12:23PM

Last funeral I went to all the brethren spoke of was tithing. How generously the deceased gave to the tscc, how paying tithing blessed this family with fortune. It rang hollow with a majority of those in attendance. Many left that service angry that it was all about money. "That church isn't getting a dime of my inheritance" was a common statement after the service. That is a large chunk of change not going to the morg anymore.

Posted by: straightoutacumorah ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 01:02PM

I worry that if I die before my mom she will somehow find a way to have me buried in that god awful apron and bakers hat. I told my wife she is to dump my corps into a walmart dumpster before she allows that sh1t.

Posted by: skippyutah6 ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 11:24AM

When it comes down to it,though, does it really matter how or what we wear when we die? If your family is comforted having you buried in animal skins and you are vegetarian, why not allow your family the comfort they need and be unselfish to your desires. I know that is a silly example, but you are dead for goodness sake. Let your loved ones do what they need.to find peace. That is true love.

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 02:15PM

The funerals of both my TBM grandparents were in an LDS chapel and much like the one you described for your family member. Lots of celebrating their life, with just a short message on the plan of salvation by my dad.

The focus was NOT on church doctrine at either one of them. THANKFULLY!!! Even as a TBM at the time, I'm not sure I could have stomached something like what's been described in this thread. GAG.

Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: April 15, 2015 03:51PM

I really don't want a funeral...laid out like a centerpiece, everybody crying..yuck. But lately, I've been thinking more about it, as someone said, funerals are for the living, not the dead. I think if I do have a memorial service, I'd like it to be at a restaurant, with a couple of kegs of good beer (Shiner Bock for one) and a couple of house wines, and some good food..kinda like that old Star Trek TNG where Geordi and Ro seem to have died and they have a celebration in ten forward.

It's not just Mormons who have the corner on co-opting funerals. When my grandad died (lifelong atheist) one of my cousins who is a preacher when on & on about angels and Jesus and all sorts of crap while my TBM sibling and I just fumed. Our grandad never had a use for any sort of religion, he would've been pissed.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 03:05AM

We were able to control 99.9% of the Mormon funeral and graveside arrangements for my husband when he died three years ago. It was 100% about his life, with his children (most not LDS) participating.
I think there has been a shift in how the Mormon funerals are done in the last few years - focusing on the deceased.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 04:24AM

My aunt's funeral was held at the funeral home chapel, as she, her husband, and 3 of her 4 children were ex-Mormon. She and her husband had left the cult when they were engaged, partly so his parents and all of their non-Mormon friends could attend their wedding.

My uncle--her favorite brother--is a Mormon and former mission president, and he was the last speaker. He plowed straight ahead into the "plan of salvation" spiel. After his talk, my three TBM cousins, who were sitting in front of us, actually high-fived each other! It was actually a low-five, hidden behind the pew. They grinned at each other and said, "Yessssss! He got that in there!" Like it was some kind of battle, or something. Those cousins are not coming to my funeral.

I want a wake at my house, with my family only, and no one else. Three family members are Mormons, but I want no prayers and no speeches. Just (un-blessed) food. Someone can play the piano, but no hymns--meaning, no "I am a Child of God" or any of that junk. Maybe a reading of part of a poem, and maybe my favorite short Bible passage, reflecting my love of God and Christ, my love for my family, and my love of life. Hopefully, they'll tell some funny stories and jokes. That is who I am. I was never a heartfelt Mormon. Closed casket at the mortuary. Private burial.

A friend of mine was the only ex-Mormon in her TBM family. She left specific instructions about her funeral and burial, and she left money to pay for everything. When she died, her friends and family were invited to a catered luncheon, because she wanted everyone to celebrate her life. At the luncheon, some of her friends spontaneously started standing up and telling fun and interesting things about her life. At her grave, the Mormons weren't allowed to take charge of "dedicating the grave", which is always a repeat of the lie that temple-sealed families will be reunited in the hereafter (and the non-temple deceased can just eat dirt); instead, she had a bagpiper in a kilt play from the nearest little hill.

People don't understand that funerals don't have to follow a strict format.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 11:45AM

Took a minute to decipher what POS meant in forestpals post...i always used it in another context...Piece Of Shit...as in nissan cars and mccullogh chainsaws...guess it fits the mormon ideal of the perfect funeral too...hey kristy...whatever it takes to get ya thru a POS funeral...welcome...Pull up a chair...put your feet up...set a spell...most here understand you completely...its a curable affliction...weve seen hundreds of cases...youll find comfort doesnt mean what you thought...youve just been institutionalized...it does take a certain amount of pluck to hang your fanny out amongst so many depraved heathens...hows that old lds song go...those of whom we thought unkindly...oft become our fondest friends...or something like that..its been 30 years

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 10, 2016 12:46PM

my2cents Wrote:
> who passed away quite
> unexpectedly at the age of 33, leaving a wife and
> 4 children. The oldest is in high school.

Most kids start high school at 14.
Which means he was 19 when he had his oldest.
So mormon. :(

Posted by: old post ( )
Date: July 21, 2016 09:24AM

Original post from 2010.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.