Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 01:38PM

Any tips about learning how to draw?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 08:40PM

I was also a graphic arts major at BYU for a short time but didn't like it that much or make particularly good grades at it, so I changed my major to poli sci and drew cartoons for the campus newspaper.

As a youngster, my parents enrolled me in an adult art class in SLC taught by a guy named "Uncle Roscoe." He was a pleasant, grandfatherly-type who let me draw what I wanted to, so I did my own thing while the grown-ups did theirs.

Since I always liked to draw cartoos, I, well, always cartooned and, as a result, got better at it the more I doodled.

That said, courses in human anatomy, still life and other basic drawing instruction is good in helping you develop fundamental skills and to decide what you like to do. From there, you can branch out into painting, commercial art graphics or whatever. Bottom line: If you like what you do, you'll tend to keep at it and improve over time.

At least that's how it's worked for me.

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2012 08:47PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.