Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 06:55AM

Not minutes after Romney won NH, my tbm mom calls and refreshes me on the white horse prophecy. You know, the one where the constitution is hanging by a thread?

Apparently, Mittens is the elder who will sew it up.

Am I gonna hear this crap for four years or more?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 07:42AM

Make her commit to these claims now. If Romney doesn't win the election in November, you'll be able to refer to it for years. I'm really tired of the horseshit religious claims, and I think people who make them should be reminded of them.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 02:03PM

hehe..ya, there will be all kinds of ideas expounded on why this or that in politics based on religious notions. That never changes.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 02:06PM

TBMs will just claim "It's identity politics". Those who know what the term means, anyway.

Can you say, "double standard"? Seems like it's a requirement to be a hypocrite if you want to remain a good mormon...

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 03:25PM

sewing machine?

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 03:41PM

Is the US constitution hanging by a thread? It seems to me (a non-expert) that may have been the case in previous US presidencies. It's the economy that seems to be hanging by a thread, or maybe that's what JS meant.

Hope it's an industrial sewing machine. =)

Date: January 11, 2012 03:57PM

deconverted2010 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is the US constitution hanging by a thread? It
> seems to me (a non-expert) that may have been the
> case in previous US presidencies. It's the
> economy that seems to be hanging by a thread, or
> maybe that's what JS meant.
>
> Hope it's an industrial sewing machine. =)

For the record, I didn't mean anything about the phrase "hanging by a thread". Many LDS seem to think Obama has ruined the country by breaking constitutional law in bringing universal health care, etc. I suppose that could be economic too.

In any event, I didn't want to get political. And what I meant by a sewing machine is that the LDS think the constitution needs to be mended with more threads.

I like Makurosu's thought on holding it over them when/if he loses. I just fear the chances of that are slim now.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 06:03PM

Four Tapir of the Apocalypse?

There are members of my family who are sure this prophecy is real, and who are totally convinced that mittens is going to be the one to repair the constitution that the liberal communists have torn asunder...(crap now I have the giggles)

Date: January 11, 2012 08:31PM

Though mit's brain was as flint, he shall ride into the white-delightsome house on a tapir.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 06:13PM

I can remember when Kennedy ran. There were people who claimed if he won,,the pope would run things. Each election has its religious zelots.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 10:13AM

...but they also knew that the rest of the country would have to take a chance on Kennedy and find out for themselves.

It would be interesting to know how TBM's view a potential Mormon president. Exactly how much attention would such a president pay to the prophet?

Posted by: informer ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 10:45AM

is that Catholics do not require their privileged rank-and-file members to repeatedly re-enact a secret ritual in which they solemnly covenant the following:

"LAW OF SACRIFICE"
"You and each of you do covenant and promise that you will sacrifice your time, talents and all you may now or hereafter become possessed of to the upbuilding of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."'

"All bow your heads and say yes."

PATRONS: "Yes."

"LAW OF VENGEANCE"
"You and each of you do solemnly promise and vow that you will pray, and never cease to pray, and never cease to importune high heaven to avenge the blood of the prophets on this nation, and that you will teach this to your children and your children's children unto the third and fourth generation."

"All bow your heads and say yes."

(endowment ceremony, 1931-1984)

...or this:
"You and each of you covenant and promise before God, angels, and these witnesses at this altar, that you do accept the Law of Consecration as contained in this, (The Officiator holds up a copy of the Doctrine and Covenants again.), the Book of Doctrine and Covenants, in that you do consecrate yourselves, your time, talents, and everything with which the Lord has blessed you, or with which he may bless you, to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for the building up of the Kingdom of God on the earth and for the establishment of Zion."

"Each of you bow your head and say "yes."

(endowment ceremony, 1984-1990)

Mormons do. Mitt Romney went through the temple ceremony as early as 1966, so he most certainly solemnly covenanted both agreements with Mormon God. We all know that to a TBM, "God trumps Government" any day of the week. The implications of that are much different than they were with Kennedy's mere membership in the Catholic church.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 04:28PM

The law of vengeance was part of the temple until 1984? I thought it was something very old.

That means that a lot of people I know swore under that law!

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 06:31PM

No, i think the date is wrong. I went in 83 and it wasn't there then. Gutting oneself in various ways? Yes, lots. Vengeance?--i don't know that we teach it.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 07:19PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_vengeance

Yes, it disappeared a long time ago... 1920s or 30s.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 07:23PM

Mormons are currently and proudly spouting-out the white horse prophecy.... but, mention it on an online web page, and mormons will show up in force saying it's all anti-mormon lies.

More wikipedia, fwiw...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Horse_Prophecy

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 08:40PM

It's time for the economic cycle to change, no matter who wins, IMO. It happens all the time.

If Mitt were to win and economic indicators improve, there would be no doubt some Mormons quoting that dumb prophesy.

If Mitt were to pull off a few uber conervative laws about abortion, marriage or right wing judges, I'm guessing we would hear some Mormons saying the prophesy was fufilled.

No matter what happens, they can make the actions match the prophesy, Nostradamas style.

Posted by: informer ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 10:07AM

She should re-examine his voting record and his professional history at Bain: if actions are indicators, he's one of the guys who wants to send the Constitution through the shredder, along with what is left of the U.S. economy.

The Mo's will have to come up with some other Constitution-thread-grabbing hero.

OTOH, I never thought Mormons were all that patriotic to begin with (they are actually rather anti-United States, really, if one reads between the lines), White Horse Prophecy or not.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.