Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 04, 2012 06:23PM

We've seen sanctimonius Latter-day Saints peddle their religiously-approved favorites as God's celestially-sanctioned ones in the past--and, no doubt, we'll see it again with Mormon Mitt's candidacy.

Here's an review example of the kind of thing I'm talking about:

The "Latter-day Sentinel," a now-defunct Mormon-owned and -operated tabloid that circulated in the heavily LDS-populated areas of the east Phoenix Valley, pointed to heavenly forces at work when their editorially-blessed Mormon political picks won elective office. This particular religious rag's LDS editor, Crismon Lewis, in an editorial praising the election of the eventually impeached, convicted and ousted Mormon governor of Arizona, Evan Mecham, wrote of the divine forces at work in the ascent of Mormon Mecham to power (forces, he said, that were beyond the understanding of the non-faithful and the non-Mormon):

"I'm sure if you were to visit with him personally, he would share with you his story of why he decided to run. To the world, it looked like vain ambition. To the many who try to follow promptings in their lives, they knew there was another dimension to the decision. When he was elected, the world called it luck. But thousands knelt in thanks."
_____

Gag. Get ready, all you Romney watchers, for the same song, second verse.

Indeed, I've seen it unfolding recently, when some Mesa Mormon relatives of mine sent along the following Xmas boast-the-most family greeting:

"[Husband] was recently released as Bishop after almost 12 years for 3 wonderful wards. They [husband and wife] are missing the Single Adults a lot, but [husband] loves teaching Gospel Doctrine and studying hard. . . . [Wife] is enjoying serving as Stake Relief Society President and getting to work with such wonderful women. [Wife] enjoys speaking and serving on community boards. She loves playing the piano and organ in her ward and stake. They've also loved working with the outstanding people on Mitt Romney's Presidential Campaign."

Edited 14 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2012 07:57PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.