Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 11:06AM

I will start.

I am grateful for my family and my pets.

I am grateful for Windows 7's AeroSnap.

I am grateful for the internet, without it I would have no Cheezburger and RFM.

I am grateful for my job, soul-sucking as it is, it pays my rent and my tuition.

I am grateful for my slight hearing loss (sometimes) so that it's easy to block out people I find annoying.

What are you grateful for?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Thread killer ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 11:27AM

Toilet paper is pretty good too, and root beer, and pizza, and fresh peaches or pears right off the tree, and pickup trucks, and avocados, and Crosby, Stills & Nash, and Vivaldi. Many other things, but those popped into my head.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 11:48AM

Healthy children and grandchild.

Ozarka bottled spring water.

Snickers bars.

Far Niente Cabernet Sauvignon.

Harley Davidson Motor Cycle Company.

My Sweetheart and best friend, Shila.

Communications technology (although I, for example, don't know how use half the stuff my cell phone does).

All-natural lawn-care products.

Diane Lane (I've had a crush on her for years and years).

My truck (2010 Ford F150 Harley Edition)

My HP 12C reverse polish notation hand calculator (had it since 1983).

"Forever" stamps. I don't use stamps much, but I also don't pay any attention to price hikes on stamps.

Velcro

Astroglide (pure genius!)

Roundtop Texas (home of the largest antique festival in the U.S.)

Raisins (pure genius!)

Peanut Butter (pure genius!)

Cowboy boots

AND.... drum roll....

Sirius/XM Radio with Synch.

Ron

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 11:50AM

For without it my son would surely be dead by now.

My wonderful children, their wonderful spouses and my wonderful grandchildren.

My grandmother who is still here to give me unconditional love at the tender age of 95.

My dogs, who make it possible for this paranoid woman to sleep soundly at night. (And give me a lot of almost unconditional love too.)

Printing presses. (I'm a book addict. Gotta have my books!)

Living in an era and nation that allows me to be myself -- I never take that one for granted.

Refridgerators

Electricity and COMPUTERS!!! (I grew up without PCs and I like them better than HDTV.)

:D

Posted by: fallenangelblue ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 12:09PM

My child
Malibu rum
My fish, the most non-invasive pets ever
My internet connection
Books!
My treadmill
My car, even though it's a POS
Urban Decay
Starbucks

Hey, they are all non-stupid to me.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 01:23PM

my fiance and lover

my children and grandchildren

microwave ovens

my old reliable 12 year old car

a job that pays well even tho I didn't graduate from college

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 01:40PM

I am grateful for my family that is now deceased and how they taught me, by example to see and find some humor in almost anything in life - if not immediately, at least, eventually.From them, I learned that a little humor in the worse of circumstances goes a long way!

The people that raised me lived through WW1 and the Great Depression and WW2.
When I was a little girl, even if all we had for dinner from food rations was refrigerated cream of wheat re- heated from left overs from breakfast, with jam,someone found a way to joke about it even if it tasted icky!

At my 50th Grade School Reunion, someone published our 8th grade comments about ourselves and there I found I was talking about living and laughing -- completely unaware that I had written almost the same thing in the reunion booklet!

I'm grateful for my life: all of it; my home, my family, all of them,my great friends, where I live, that I have enough to eat, and that social security is enough to pay the bills (and not defunct).

I'm grateful that have good enough eye sight with glasses (cataracts need to be fixed), to do what I need to do, including driving, even if I don't drive at night.

I'm grateful I can read (hundreds of books) and use the computer (grateful for that thing even if it is cranky at times!), can knit, and sew, even if threading the needle is a pain!

I'm grateful my health is good enough to take care of my daily needs and my body responds to the correct medication, and I can still walk.

I'm grateful I'm able to help my husband with his medical needs.

I'm grateful for a very long marriage, planning our 50th anniversary for Aug 2012! :-)

I am very grateful that I have lived long enough to make the changes I have in my life, and to continue to enjoy the freedoms I have, each day.

At my age, well past the middle mark, when I wake up and hurt someplace, I know I am alive! That reminds me to be grateful..... for another day!

Posted by: southbound ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 02:15PM

For the life I live, friends I have, family I have, and that I GET TO GO HOME after 5 months on the job, if only for a few days.

Posted by: Mad Viking ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 02:19PM

I'm thankful for The Big Bang because there isn't much elbow room in a singularity.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 06:20PM

I like being reminded to be grateful for real things, not "miracles" that dismiss human interaction.

I am grateful for a caring, loving fiancé who has taken care of my gimpy butt over the last month with not a single complaint. Not one.

I am grateful for my little balls of fur who provide me with love and companionship.

I am grateful for my mom and sister who go the extra mile to make sure I don't go stir crazy being housebound.

I am grateful for my school district who has been understanding and supportive of my surgery.

I am grateful for true friends who always go the extra mile.

And seeing other lists I have to add Sirus radio (hooray Octane!) and Starbucks =)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2010 09:18PM by Tiff.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 06:40PM

all the members of my family, even 'tho some of them annoy me, my cat, my friends (all two of them - you know who you are) and uh....the beauty of the earth and *cosmos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2010 06:40PM by winecountrygirl.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 06:40PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2010 06:41PM by winecountrygirl.

Posted by: James ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 08:43PM

My partner

My home

My cats

My book collection (literally thousands of books, at last count)

A good job that pays well enough for me to live comfortably

A car that still works perfectly, even though I paid it off three years ago

A group of friends who are more loving and supportive than any family I ever knew.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 09:07PM

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 02:02AM

My list is like many of the others.

But I am very grateful for music.

Very grateful for a warm house to live in.

Grateful for movie theatres to go and escape the world.

Grateful for friends, family, pets.

Grateful for my brain which is used daily when I analyze anything that interests me.

Grateful for toothpaste, shampoo and deoderant.

Grateful for hospitals even though they charge exorbitant fees.

Grateful for good lawyers who give us the help we need for some very unexpected events in our lives.

I am even grateful that if my daughter had to convert to Mormonism it was to a guy who breaks many of the rules- shops on Sun. and doesn't always drag her to the LDS cult bldg.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2010 02:06AM by honestone.

Date: November 20, 2010 02:10AM

Okay, where is Roundtop Texas and when is this antique festival??? Sounds awesome.

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 02:15AM

I'm greatful for:

My family/husband
My pets
My friends
The holidays being close
My mom getting her license back
Having a home, and all the things in it
Having food to eat
Having a normal body (although I could stand to lose a few pounds, lol)
My home business
My laptop
The internet
Computers and computer programs in general
Movies
Electricity
The beauty of nature
The fact that I can leave the LDS church, but still believe in God/Jesus (contrary to what THEY claim)

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 10:50PM

I am greatful for toilets! Serious. I'm in a rural Chinese city. Cangzhou, you guys don't know how luck you are when you can crap without crapping in a communal outhouse thing, in the morning... and or this flop house student hostle.... When you're not up to your eyeballs in Garbage! and when drivers don't drive at you at mache "Mavrick Tower", on the wrong side of the road, and you see your Cat lives pass. We cats have 9 of the, so far 8.5 has passed :_(, and crossing the street doesn't resemble Frogger the game...

But it's my new temporal home, before I head for California, with an education....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2010 10:52PM by happycat.

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 11:39AM

Ok ok I'll play nice.

I'm greatful for the chance to save a life with bone marrow, being one of he very very very very very chance to donae bone marrow, to someone unrelated... What are the odds. I go to pick up the phone, and it didn't register with me, and they though I hung up. That would be crazy if they actually did think that and then no process of paperworks to start the careful operation, and thus no life saved. That was very memorable....

I am greatful for my Alberta Centennial Medal, which I earned because I completed a Duke of Edinburgh Award (Congressional Youth Award in the states, the beauty of this award, is that it already takes into account typical stuff that young people do for recreation anyways, play/enjoy music, sports, goof off (productively), and help out (if they help out). Like with all these teenagers dressed up in costumes, drawing stuff, photoing stuff, or even posting their photos on facebook, all they need to do is get active, and explore the outdoors, and volunteer. Well I also worked with the homeless for over 10 years, to contribute to my medal. That was very rewarding. You get to interact and be a part of lives, postive impact, like think of all those people who brought and broken a person, and you're one of the rare people (as opposed to the majority), that stood up to help person back on their feet. This is the ultimate F you to those jerks do contributed in a negative way.... bullied him or her. And you're saying Up yours, by doing the opposite. That's power.

I'm glad that my baby sister doesn't think I'm a stranger anymore, and is actually teasing me to mess with my head.Yup yup she's my sister all right. So much like me, a naughty imp to messes with people's heads..... Before she was in "Stranger Danger. Stranger Danger mode". Now she's in poke me in the eyes, and laugh mode. awwwwwwww.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 02:18AM

I am grateful for my kids and grandkids. Iam grateful for my home and that I have enough to eat. I am grateful I have a little extra so I can have 2 sponser children and help others in need. I am grateful for my recovery from breast cancer. I only had a 17% chance of beating it. I am grateful for my thousands of books. I am grateful for RfM I am grateful for my laptop. I am grateful for true friends. I am grateful for my health. And I say these things OOPS! wrong forum!

Posted by: lynn ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 02:48AM

I'm grateful for chocoloate! oh, how I luv chocolate!

And I'm trying to be grateful tonight for the laugh lines around my eyes that I just happened to notice (shock) an hour ago. Notice that I did not refer to them as 'deep wrinkles' - my attempt at being positive.
Laugh lines are a good thing because that means I'm laughing a helluva lot more now than I ever did as a TBM! : )

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 03:26AM

I think I would win! Plus, there are library books, textbooks sold back, LDS books recycled, books given away.

I am grateful for books. Growing up being horribly abused by an older brother, I could climb a tree to safety, and escape into the world of books. When I got older, I was allowed to go to the library on my own, and that became my refuge: schools, study halls, classrooms. I am grateful for knowledge!

RFM taught me the truth about Mormonism.

The internet gives me answers to almost any question I have.

I'm grateful for the--probably less than--.05% of the total information my brain has been able to retain and use. I'm grateful for my career.

Most of all, I'm grateful for my children, family alive and dead, lovers past and present, strangers who know about medicine, machines, and how to build a house, and people who love others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2010 03:29AM by forestpal.

Posted by: OlMan ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 11:47AM

Yesterday was a really good day, a thankful day.

A year ago, our college-aged daughter was being a complete knucklehead, making every wrong choice possible(including a miscarried pregnancy with her worthless boyfriend and destroying 2 of our vehicles). Today, she's back, laughing with us, talking to us, enrolled in a good school, playing on the womens basketball team, and looking carefully for the right kind of man.

She made us re-appraise everything we've ever done and everything we're doing. Now, even the little things are so much more appreciated than before.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 01:34PM

Cause I can watch unrealistic, stupid stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNkUtBa3_RI

And because folks can watch my stupid stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=henYmol0Za4

Timothy

Posted by: lynn ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 02:52AM

Well, Tim, now I can picture you in my mind whenever I read your posts!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 01:44PM

That I now live in a place that has heat! My ex bishop would not help me with the gas bill, so I went a year and a half without heat. Yes, this really did happen. This began my exit plan to "escape" from the Mormons. I now live outside of UT and the best thing about UT was seeing it in my rearview mirror as I gave it my middle finger!

Date: November 26, 2010 01:56PM

Your exit was cool orangect. How horrible the ex bishop would not help you. There must be a story there.

Posted by: Dances with Cureloms ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 09:04AM

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 10:25AM

for my best friend who just loaned me $3000 so I can pay to have my car fixed that I borked last Friday. She came through (without me having to ask) when the bank wouldn't.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 11:00AM

ITM and lots of other good stuff to listen to
iPod
**Vinyl**
Job
Food
Medicine
Science
Education
Family
A good partner and relationship with healthy boundaries and realistic expectations.
Hell's Kitchen (the Gordon Ramsey show)
Friends

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: December 10, 2010 11:38AM

The fact that I still have a job (even though I don't think my boss appreciates me, though I've been with her now for just under 9 years).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.