Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 08:42PM

My DH is TBM but more of a liberal Mormon, he grew up in the PNW without the horrible Mo culture (eventhough he's BIC and what not).

Anyway, we haven't been to church in several months, like since June. And it's been pretty quiet. Nobody has bothered us (except for a few emails from the RS Pres seeing if I'm "ok" and if I "needed anything" to which I replied I'm FINE and things are GREAT - which she can't seem to understand how that could be since we haven't been going to church.)

DH still believes but doesn't attend because he's exhausted from working 12-15 hr days and church takes too much out of him. I tell him that he shouldn't feel guilty and he doesn't need to explain to me. I said I don't go because it's all bullshit. (He doesn't appreciate that lol).

The point of all this is that people from church have been dropping by and calling out of the blue this week. It's Wed and we have had visits from:

- 2 sister missionaries (I didn't open the door)
- my VT who I did chat with for a minute because they called before coming and showed up with cookies :)
- I think the exec sec to set up a time to come in for tithing settlement (he's called 3x already but my DH just sends his # to vm). By the way DH is cool about not doing tithing settlement since I told them those guys gossip about the members' finances based on what they pay. We don't want our neighbors knowing how much money we make or speculate based on what we pay. Not that it matters since we don't pay tithing anymore anyway.
-some guy asking if we would give the opening and closing prayer in SM this week.

WTF is going on??? Why all of a sudden all this contact? Ugh. I'm racking my brain trying to think put us on the radar?

Maybe some TBM from the ward saw me buying my extra huge bottle of sweet red wine at Walmart and ratted me out. I do frequently run into TBMs from the ward there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 08:59PM

Yeah. They're making a special effort to pull you in. They did the same thing to me and my wife, except they got my wife to go back and were soon guilt-tripping her about everything. That's when my wife told me to pull the records for me and the kids, which I did. That way she can always tell them to lay off because she's the only member in the family. (She wants to keep her name in while her mom's still alive, and mormons are her only friends).

Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 09:01PM

somebody brought you up in a meeting.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 09:05PM

They select families and send out the troops!
Ignoring them works. But it might require some statement to back off that you would be there if it was what you wanted to do or weren't too exhausted from work.

Posted by: enigma ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 09:41PM

Uhhh... I think you answered your own question.

"I think the exec sec to set up a time to come in for tithing settlement..."

They want your money; plain and simple. During tithing settlement time there's always a push to get those last minute spiritual extortion meetings nailed down. Bishops are commended or reprimanded based on how well they "manage" their ward (i.e. fleece the flock).

They just want to get their holy hands on your pocket book that's all. The visiting efforts will drop off after Christmas... count on it.

Enigma

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.