Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 04:58AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 09:35AM

Date: December 16, 2011 05:07PM

I'm living out of the country, so not possible to go to my nearest Kmart, but I loved the story.

Posted by: theimmortalironfist ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 05:12PM

Wow...That is a touching story. What a kind bunch of people.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 05:13PM

nary a peep about it there...but i know there are some horror stories out there relating to Christmas...my heart breaks for them...:(

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 10:06PM

Maybe the guy would not have had to be there spending money he almost certainly could not afford in order to not disappoint kids who's expectations are driven by high paid marketing executives that are masters at selling though kids all in the name of Christmas.

Perhaps it is Christmas that caused the problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2011 10:26PM by MJ.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 05:19PM

is having someone else pay for your shit at a big box store.

Date: December 16, 2011 06:13PM

on a practical level is certainly demonstrated by helping others... others who are suddenly no longer "other" but are experienced as members of a wider family (which everyday socialization denies). In fact, all the outer distinctions and commonsense rules built around these are also seen through, and the whole 'world-as-we-perceive-it-with-our-eyes' is understood to be psychophysical illusion, a social construction. We learn to 'see' with our heart--a psychic center which is rudimentary in most humans.

Date: December 16, 2011 06:23PM

are you one of those who has a bad memory of Christmas...or are you railing against religion in genral and Christmas in particular? or both?

too bad thats the meaning you get...happy winter solstice to you then! :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2011 06:23PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: AnonForThisOne ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 08:40PM

I saw this story this morning on a FB feed and I was really touched by it. We're not wealthy by any stretch but we are fortunate enough to be able to pay our bills. My mom died earlier this year and left me a bit of inheritance.

I thought a good way to honor her generous spirit was to help someone who's worse off than me. I took a few hundred dollars and went to our local KMart. It took about 15 min of explaining to 3 diff. employees what I wanted to do. I asked if there was a way to find layaways with kids gifts that had an overdue payment. They found two-one of which was a store employee who they said was struggling financially. I paid all but a small amount of the balances. The layaway clerk was going to call the other customer to let them know of the payment and the employee was due in later today. He was so excited to be able to tell her the gifts for her son were (mostly) paid for.

This holiday season has been really tough as it's the first one without mom. I was quite bummed out today and I surprised at how paying those layaways really lifted my spirits.

Date: December 16, 2011 09:16PM

(with us as well as with those families)

"...I was surprised at how paying those layaways really lifted my spirits."

...probably more than the ever-popular obligatory Friday night drinking thread.

Posted by: AnonForThisOne ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 09:22PM

Exactly! :-)

Date: December 16, 2011 10:19PM

but what about the rest of the year?

You know, how about helping those that can't even put food on the table every day ALL YEAR LONG rather than helping parents by toys once a year?

I do a lot of volunteer work and yeah, the once a year wonders are great, they donate a lot of stuff, but the people that really impress me are the ones that commit all year long.

People work tirelessly all year long to be sure that food gets on the table of needy families. Most of these people don't get any sort of reconvention but every Christmas we get some story about a person that did something "special" at Christmas and whooo Hoooo look how great the Christmas Season is.

In my opinion, this woman does not hold a candle to the people that volunteer week after week a family shelters, food banks, meals on wheels, at hospitals, hospices, etc. but because it is Christmas everyone is going googoo over her one day of generosity.

Posted by: moonbeam ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 10:36PM

Once is better than never.

I know it's easy to be cynical, but Christmas is important for many families. It is an opportunity for many to enjoy things they may not splurge on the rest of the year.

It makes people feel good to give. It takes a burden off to receive and it lets people know that others care.

...maybe an act of kindness at Christmas will inspire others to give in the new year.

Date: December 16, 2011 11:07PM

But hey, do whatever you have to to try to make the one time buying of gifts somehow comparable to on going support and putting food on the table year round.

I will bet that the feeding of families YEAR round is more important to most impoverished than getting gifts bought once a year.

And as I pointed out in a post above, it is very likely that Christmas is the CAUSE of the problem that woman is trying elevate. The problem being a man struggling to buy lots of presents that it seems clear he CAN NOT AFFORD all in the name of CHRISTMAS.

That is not being clinical, that is looking at the reality of the issue. The guy was in the situation she helped with BECAUSE OF CHRISTMAS. Yeah, that's a real "Feel good" story.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2011 11:46PM by MJ.

Date: December 18, 2011 06:52PM

people came out of the woodwork to help others less fortunate...that what i look at... the commercialization is an element and a driver but the story is still the same...some one doing good for another...to me that is the story...but then again i am an optimist!

Date: December 16, 2011 10:58PM

...and have to ask, do you do your volunteer work for recognition? Neither did this woman. I see no competition going on here.

Date: December 16, 2011 11:20PM

In part, I am talking about using such stories to vindicate Christmas.

That woman paid for the gifts right in front of the person she was buying them for SHE GOT LOTS OF RECONDITION. Not in the story, but the story was a feel good story venerating the "Christmas Spirit".

Yeah some goodie goods come out ONCE a year at Christmas, I'm not impressed.

The guy in the story would probably not be trying to buy lots of presents for his kids IF IT WERE NOT FOR CHRISTMAS. So, the woman was elevating the PROBLEMS CAUSED BY CHRISTMAS. That hardly seems like a reason to go boasting about the Christmas spirit to me.

Date: December 18, 2011 07:19PM

and my Mom brother and i make food for Camillis house for no recognition... there is not always an ulterior motive in good works ya know!

Posted by: untarded ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 11:57PM

This sounds too much like.... Christmas Shoes. aaaaaarrrrrrggghhh!

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: December 17, 2011 02:37PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.