Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mark24 ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 12:22AM

I don't know how many of you have heard about this sad story. My heart goes out to this young man. The comments mostly support the school. Unbelievable. I have a son the same age. To my knowledge he is not gay. However, if he is, it is HIS RIGHT to tell me if and when HE CHOOSES!

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53115950-78/parents-gay-student-students.html.csp#disqus_thread

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 12:54AM

I actually agree that the school behaved responsibly. The boy was taking some flak for coming out, and the admins stepped in to stop the bullies. They counseled with him, and asked if he wanted to inform his parents. He agreed, but didn't want to break the news himself.

If they had kept silent, and The bullying escalated, they would surely be held responsible.

I could be wrong, but if the news article is accurate, that's how I see it.

Posted by: Quarlo ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 03:09PM

No, he did not just agree...they asked him and he said NO...so they told him they were going to tell on him anyway and coerced his so-called "agreement." And as far as everyone at school knowing...that doesn't mean anything. Relationships with parents are very different than anything at school. Informing one does not give anyone the right to expose the info to the other. The parents could have took him out of school so they could "deprogram" him. How does anyone know if they are being "supportive" or not.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 01:03AM

It was the student's decision to out himself to his parents. The administrators raised concerns with the student because of bullying. If they would have let the bullying go it could have easily turned into something a lot worse for the student.

They talked to him about it and in the end didn't say anything without the student's permission. The rumors that he was expelled for being gay come from the fact that the parents took the kid home for the day after the incident.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 01:08AM

Besides that, it seems everyone knew but the parents. Certainly it was better for everyone for the m to hear it from their son than to hear it from someone else.

Posted by: leroy ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 06:15AM

I think the school overstepped its bounds. They should have reported the "bullying" but not outed the kid. I'd be surprised if the the kid didn't feel coerced into letting the school out him. I think lots of adults forget what it's like to be an adolescent. Remember, kids think differently than adults. He likely viewed his supposed self outing to one and all in the advertisement poster as a "what happens at school, stays at school" kind of thing. The school employees blew this one imo. leroy

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 10:05AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.