Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 02:48PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 03:36PM

Nothing really earth-shattering about tithing is in there. A couple of observations I have about the following excerpt-

"All members who have income should pay tithing, with the following exceptions-
1.Those who are entirely dependant on church welfare assistance.
2.Full-time missionaries. However, full-time missionaries should still pay tithing on personal income beyond the amount that they recieve for their support."

The implication in exception #1 is that any other type of welfare assistance, other than church welfare, should be tithed.

The other implication in #2 is that any passive income that a mission president recieves while on his mission should be tithed. So, someone who is taking 3 years out of his life to work full-time for the church still has to pay tithing on any investments. Talk about fleecing the flock for every penny they are worth.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 05:24PM

I like the part where they won't take anything but cash, no tithing 'in kind' - except stocks, bonds and real estate. They know what to do with that because their are financiers. But the farmer has to sell his own crops because they are clueless what to do with the fruits of hard work.

14.4.1 Tithing, Definition of Tithing

"The 1st Pres has written: "the simplest statement we know of is that statement of the Lord himself, namely, that the members of the church should pay 'on-tenth of all their interest anually' which is understood to mean income. No one is justified in making any other statement that this" (1st Pres letter 3/19/70; see also D&C 119:4)"

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 07:07PM

I looked up the word "interest" in the thesaurus AND dictionary once, and nowhere did I find the word "income" being synonymous with interest.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.