Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 01:31PM

Never. Not once. Every faith-based, magical thinking motivated decision I ever made, every single one, resulted in a bad outcome, many with tragic consequences.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 02:11PM

The reality is, I was attributing the successes to magical thinking when it was all me.

Posted by: Nebularry ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 02:37PM

There were undoubtedly many times when I attributed a positive outcome to faith or the answer to prayers or God's intervention. The fact, however, is those positive outcomes would have happened in any case. I just gave credit to magical thinking. It is amazing how easily people can fool themselves into thinking divine intervention was somehow involved in a happy outcome. On the other hand, when outcomes go badly cognitive dissonance takes over to provide a positive rationale. "God works in mysterious ways" or "It was meant to be that way" or "It's all a part of God's plan". That sort of thinking makes me sick!

Anyway, people who don't think critically can convince themselves of anything and they do. The reality though is just as Helamonster said, it's all up to us.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 02:41PM

One time that faith did work for me was when one of my children died. I was very comforted with the erroneous knowledge that I would see this child again. It was very comforting, and eased the grief.

Kind of a bummer when I found out it isn't going to really happen though, but that was over a decade later.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.