Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 10:01AM

"It is a notorious fact, that many females in foreign climes, and in countries to us unknown, even in the most distant regions of the Eastern hemisphere, have been induced, by the sound of the gospel, to forsake friends, and embark upon a voyage across waters that lie stretched over the greater portion of the globe, as they supposed, to glorify God, that they might thereby stand acquitted in the great day of God Almighty.

But what is taught them on their arrival at this place?- They are visited by some of the Strikers, for we know not what else to call them, and are requested to hold on and be faithful, for there are great blessings awaiting the righteous; and that God has great mysteries in store for those who love the lord, and cling to brother Joseph.

They are also notified that Brother Joseph will see them soon, and reveal the mysteries of Heaven to their full understanding, which seldom fails to inspire them with new confidence in the Prophet, as well as a great anxiety to know what God has laid up in store for them, in return for the great sacrifice of father of mother, of gold and silver, which they gladly left far behind, that they might be gathered into the fold, and numbered among the chosen of God.

They are visited again, and what is the result? They are requested to meet brother Joseph, or some of the Twelve, at some insulated point, or at some particularly described place on the bank of the Mississippi, or at some room, which wears upon its front--Positively NO Admittance.

The harmless, inoffensive, and unsuspecting creatures, are so devoted to the Prophet, and the cause of Jesus Christ, that they do not dream of the deep laid and fatal scheme which prostrates happiness, and renders death itself desirable; but they meet him, expecting to receive through him a blessing, and learn the will of the Lord concerning them, and what awaits the faithful follower of Joseph, the Apostle and Prophet of God,

When in the stead thereof, they are told, after having been sworn in one of the most solemn manners, to never divulge what is revealed to them, with a penalty of death attached that God Almighty has revealed it to him, that she should be his (Joseph's) Spiritual wife; for it was right anciently,and God will tolerate it again: but we must keep those pleasures and blessings form the world, for until there is a change in the government, we will endanger ourselves by practicing it-but we can enjoy the blessings of Jacob, David, and others, as well as to be deprived of them, if we do not expose ourselves to the law of the land.

She is thunder-struck, faints recovers, and refuses. The Prophet damns her if she rejects.

She thinks of the great sacrifice and of the many thousand miles she has traveled over sea and land, that she might save her soul from pending ruin, and replies, God's will be done and not mine. The Prophet and his devotees in this way are gratified.

The next step to avoid public exposition from the common course of things, they are sent away for a time, until all is well; after which they return, as from a long visit.

Those whom no power or influence could seduce, except that which is wielded by some individual feigning to be a God, must realize the remarks of an able writer, when he says, "if woman's feelings are turned to ministers of sorrow, where shall she look for consolation?" Her lot is to be wooed and want her heart is like some fortress that has been captured, sacked, abandoned, and left desolate. With her, the desire of the heart has failed-the great charm of existence is at an end; she neglects all the cheerful exercise of life, which gladen the spirits, quicken the pulses, and send the tide of life in healthful currents through the veins.

Her rest is broken. The sweet refreshment of sleep is poisoned by melancholy dreams; dry sorrow drinks her blood, until her enfeebled frame sinks under the slightest external injury. Look for her after a little while, and you find friendship weeping over her untimely grave; and wondering that one who but so recently glowed with all the radiance of health and beauty, should so speedily be brought down to darkness and despair, you will be told of some wintry chill, of some casual indisposition that laid her low!

But no one knows of the mental malady that previously sapped her strength, and made her so easy a pray to the spoiler. She is like some tender tree, the pride and beauty of the grove-graceful in its form, bright in its foliage, but with the worm praying at its heart; we find it withered when it should be most luxuriant. We see it drooping its branches to the earth, and shedding leaf by leaf until wasted and perished away, it falls in the stillness of the forest; and as we muse over the beautiful ruin, we strive in vain to recollect the blast or thunder-bolt that could have smitten it with decay. But no one knows the cause except the foul fiend who perpetrated the diabolical deed.

http://en.fairmormon.org/Primary_sources:Nauvoo_Expositor_Full_Text

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 10:34AM

Thanks for posting that; I never realized that an original text survived. I suppose apologists write it off as coming from a "disgruntled ex."

It makes you wonder what other truly damning evidence survives in the church archives (or DIDN'T survive after it was acquired).

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 10:35AM

I always wondered what was being printed. I knew it was something to expose JS's extra wife boinking, but never heard exactly what.

This part is still going strong today:
"...to know what God has laid up in store for them, in return for the great sacrifice of father of mother, of gold and silver, which they gladly left far behind, that they might be gathered into the fold, and numbered among the chosen of God."

People still sacrifice a lot in order to be told that they are special by the LDS church.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 11:03AM

solomonspalding.com/docs/exposit1.htm

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 11:06AM

... "and inasmuch as they have introduced false and damnable doctrines into the Church, such as a plurality of Gods above the God of this universe, and his liability to fall with all his creations;" ...

Probably the best indicator that Joseph Smith was teaching Adam-God doctrine just as Brigham Young stated he did.

Date: November 17, 2010 12:59PM

Wow- there is a whole lot more in there than I thought.

Now I just gotta find a text and repost...

Date: November 17, 2010 01:06PM

The link at the bottom of the original post links to the full text. But the portion that I posted was from a file I had on hand in my trusty no-testimony folder.

I gotta stop posting when I first get up in the morning...

Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 11:21AM

I especially like this line, as I believe it applies to my own experience in the church:

"The harmless, inoffensive, and unsuspecting creatures, are so devoted to the Prophet, and the cause of Jesus Christ, that they do not dream of the deep laid and fatal scheme which prostrates happiness, and renders death itself desirable."

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 01:39PM

David Lee Roth once said he set up a system where the front of the stage was numbered and he could dance over to the side of the stage and tell one of the road crew to give the girl in row 8 in sector 6 a backstage pass.

So the road crew guys would give out these backstage passes and make sure Roth and the band had a nice bushel to pick from after the show. Of course after the night's exploits the girl was free to go.

Joseph Smith was worse than this. He sent off his missionaries to find young women to exploit. But instead of having a one night stand, he made them a slave and a member of a harem.

Maybe Joseph was a middle eastern sheik. Let's not insult the rock stars.

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 01:56PM

the exploitation of women. How any mormon woman cannot look at these facts without becoming nauseated at the sheer sicko behavior of this narscisstic bastard (horney Joe) is beyond me. He was truly an evil diabolical man. Women have always been 2nd class (and worse) in TSCC.

Posted by: misunderstud ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 02:16PM

benny smith or joseph hinn ?....roflol

Posted by: seymour ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 05:17PM

Thanks for posting this.

I knew that the text exposed polygamy, but had never gotten around to reading it.

Of course the exact number of wives Joseph had is disputed, but I think most figures are right around 30 (33 according to Todd Compton). However, reading this text, it is easy to speculate that there were many more, eh, wives (for lack of a better word). Furthermore, this text implies Joseph did more than to take them as "spiritual wives," given the long lasting and terrible effects these encounters had on the women.

Any ideas on how many women Joseph Smith actual married/consummated marriage with?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.