Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 03:22PM

Russel M. Nelson gave a talk about women's divine worth. He said a lot of insulting and crazy stuff about and to women. The paragraph about why women need not major in physics and astronomy really pushed my buttons.

He said: She need not major in physics to know divine truths. As there is no such thing as immaterial matter (d&c 131:7) She need not be graduated in astronomy to learn lessons taught by God to Abraham-the relationship of the earth to the sun,the sun to the planets, the planets to the center of the universe and more (see abraham 3) When she sings twinkle twinkle little star, how I wonder where you are, she knows the scriptural answers.

So in other words ladies. No need for education. Read the book of abraham. It will teach you every thing you ever wanted or needed to know about the universe! Good God! is all I can say about that!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 03:25PM

Seriously - who needs astronomy when you can sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"?

Date: December 10, 2011 03:31PM

Now that thought didn't occur to me.

I have been damaged forever by reading that article though.

I will never be able to hear that song again without thinking about the words of that moron.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 03:37PM

I think I missed it, whatever it was. :)

Posted by: pruchnicki ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 11:15PM

Rebeckah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think I missed it, whatever it was. :)

The law of gravity and hydrodynamics ;-) You are now qualified to be a civil engineer.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 03:31PM

Maybe Jiminy Cricket will come down too.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 03:33PM

Remember ladies, you can make a batch of cookies in between having babies. Don't forget to make an extra batch for the apostate next door---poor thing, went and got all learned and lost her testimony.

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 03:50PM

Hopefully, there were at least a few women within earshot who were mentally giving him the "one fingered salute" for his remarks.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 03:57PM

Most of the Mormon women I know started degree courses if they weren't married by 18.

Of those, around 50% got married and pregnant before they finished their degree and dropped out.

Of the other half, those that finished, the only ones who are "using" their degree and in employment are those who studied vocational courses such as nursing and midwifery.

It seems that healthcare and childcare related work is the only work acceptable to the married Mormon woman.

I don't know a single married Mormon woman who has a PhD or even a technical degree at undergraduate level.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 03:57PM

Yes, I left becauce I was offended by the ignorant, pompus, pretenious, haughty, arrogant attitudes of Mormon leaders

Posted by: Nevermodoc ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 03:59PM

OxyMormon = BYU Mormon female physicist. Cas in my opinion if she has gotten a phd in physics she won't be a Mormon anymore. Yes I meant to spell oxymoron that way.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 04:14PM

Posted by: rowan ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 03:59PM

You know, the "great white massers" of the Old South, they had it written up in law that slaves were not to be educated. Do you know why...because an educated slave is harder to keep in slavery.

Them "great white massers" warn't no fools, they knew where-- 'da money come from,-- and they sure did not want to lose their source of revenue.

They also could not take a chance that an educated slave might turn out to be smarter than "old Masser".

I am sure that they could point it out in the Bible where slavery was okay, because it was practiced in the days of the Old Testiment. That was proof that slavery was of God!

Don't you know that everytime one of those old LDS fools say something so stupid, that Romney would love to stick a sock in their mouths.

How is he ever going to get the the nonination of his party while Nelson and the rest of the Morg Massers keep spouting their warped brand of religion?

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot! All the Morg money they are putting into Romney and then a Morg leader get up and says something so stupid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2011 06:55PM by rowan.

Posted by: rowan ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 06:58PM

Oh, I thought it was uttered curently...my bad!

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 04:12PM

Link?

Where can one listen to, or better yet, read the entire presentation?

Date: December 10, 2011 04:38PM

If you can stand to read it, i found it by entering:

Russell M. Nelson infinite worth.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 06:34PM

Posted by: Eastern Europe Reminder ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 09:19PM

Nelson wrote: "At a recent news conference in an Eastern European country, I was asked about the potential for women in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

I'm reminded that Nelson played a big management role in opening up Eastern Europe in the late 1980's. In fact he dedicated the first LDS meetinghouse in an eastern European country (not counting Germany) since the Iron Curtain. This was done in 1991 in Warsaw, Poland. In 2001 the church had a new Sunday School manual that included a picture of President Bohdan Ziemski (branch president in Warsaw) who conducted the chapel dedication. A couple years later President Ziemski was excommunicated in follow up to a police investigation that he had stolen money from many people and that he had violated his probation. Years earlier under Communism he had been convicted of child molestation of boys. After the chapel's dedication it turned out that he used the chapel as a place to bring boys so he could resume his activities of child molestation. Just because Communism fell didn't mean that they expunged and cancelled convictions like this so technically Ziemski was in violation of the law for being alone with boys. In addition according to the church's own rules he was not eligible for baptism anyway. But nevertheless he was baptized and eventually became a branch president and Nelson had him conduct the chapel dedication ceremony. And somebody must have forgotten to tell the church manuals people to not let Ziemski's picture get in the 2001 manual because I sure got a chuckle when I saw it there.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 09:05PM

...and almost any other subject you care to name.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2011 09:17PM by archytas.

Posted by: npangel ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 10:07PM

Men in the Morg love for their wives to have a career "for the fun money", yeah HIS!!! RN's make good money. As a nurse practitioner, I make a 6 figure income, more than most male Mormons. Women in the Morg don't get a real degree/career because they can't go to college and spit out child number 6. Thank God I left hat penis hood holder, worthless, ex and the Morg behind!!!

Date: December 10, 2011 10:21PM

You make too much money to be a good wife. :)

A good wife doesn't make enough to support herself if she needs to kick her man to the curb.

I could hear the howling across the country when I went to school, got an education and a career in my 40's. My DH didn't care, but the TBM males in my family didn't have a single good thing to say about it.

DH and I are still together after all these years.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 10:17PM

That's the craziest f*cking thing I've ever heard.

Date: December 10, 2011 10:23PM

Like that fake story about Abraham is filled with all the knowledge a woman would ever need. Pretty crazy. can't believe he had the balls to say something so stupid.

Posted by: Merovea ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 10:53PM

He must not read very much himself, when he has the audacity to invoque the "truths" of the B.of A. Didn't he know that the papyri from which old Joe translated that "book" have been found and are no longer mysteriously missing? That all the great egyptologists of the world have declared it NOT to be by the hand of Abraham but a vulgar "Book of the Dead" commonly inserted in the mummies in order to "help" them find their way in the after life! That there was a photo in the Deseret News of old man Hinckley ceremoniously accepting the return of Joe's lost payri---not that they could pretend that it never happened!

What an uneducated man Mr. Nelson is!

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 10:51AM

hahaha

Posted by: MadameRadness ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 09:00AM

Maybe it's just the pregnancy hormones, or perhaps i'm just a grump today but for whatever reason this statement made me want to choke him. He's said lots of stupid nonsense over the years, but this really takes the cake.

I think the thing that bothers me most is the implication that you cannot be a devoted wife/mother AND a curious intellectual woman. Men can have it all in the church, but women have to pick and choose.

Given the intense social pressure to be a homemaking molly, or be considered an outcast does it really surprise anyone that there aren't more LDS women with advanced degrees? I mean if you get told your entire life that you can't do both, wouldn't you naturally choose the one that has been glorified even if it doesn't really suit your needs.

My ex mother in law is a great example of what's possible for women in the church. She is one hell of a smart lady, who is a doctor. She has raised good kids who are intelligent, her marriage is wonderful and she works hard to serve the church. Mo or not, I admire her a ton and it drives me nuts that some jackass in a suit is sitting in a building in Utah making money off her accomplishments, but all the while downplaying them.

I don't know, i'm ranting. The whole thing just really upsets me.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 09:15AM

"At a recent news conference in an Eastern European country, I was asked about the potential for women in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I replied that perhaps the Church does more to enlighten understanding about and to lift the cause of women than any other institution on earth."

ROTFLMAO

Posted by: Eric2 ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 01:38PM

OMG, he actually said this??? LOL!!! Aren't they smart enough to figure out that he's trying to pull a fast one over them? (ie: same as what they did to dumb down blacks when they were slaves)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.