Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 12:18AM

see, like many of you, i sort of dislike the term 'atheist'. ok, yes, it might a question of semantics but it seems that it implies that we acknowledge the existence of a supernatural entity somewhere; there's their view and there's ours.

it's like when somebody asks you 'what do you do for a living?' and you reply, 'i'm a non-engineer'. it sounds like there's nothing more noble and sublime than engineers. we acknowledge it but decide to do something else. there's "engineers" and there's us. do you know what i mean?

anyway, any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 12:29AM

Non-delusionist.

Posted by: AtheistMarine ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 12:58AM

This is a common topic among atheists. A really don't care, I'm not scared of the term. It describes my view on deities, and if theists want to twist the term to fit their assumption of what atheism means so be it. They're the ones living in la-la land.

There's always Pastafarian ;)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2011 12:59AM by AtheistMarine.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 08:45AM

I guess my ignorance is showing here, but could you explain this to me? How does being a (non) theist (belief in God) indicate belief in a higher being?

I'm really wondering, not just trying to attack. :)

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 10:08AM

All praise to His Noodly Goodness.

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 10:13AM

I too have been touched by his noodly apendage.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 01:32PM

Atheist is a fine word. It ain't broke. Don't fix it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 01:09AM

I happen to like the word Atheist and shall keep using it.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 01:20AM

Free thinker does not convey the same meaning. So, when I want to convey the idea "not theist" I use the most appropriate word, "atheist".

I don't know why people have so much trouble using words in the correct way.

Posted by: blackholesun ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 01:10AM

Its kind of like how mormons use the term 'non-member'. Its a way for mormons to divide people into two groups using what to them is the most important distinguishing characteristic, membership in the LDS church. For people who are not mormon the 'non-member' label is pretty much irrelevant. Outside of Utah who cares?

Likewise, if the number of theists in society declines then the atheist label will become less and less relevant or useful as a distinguishing factor.

Date: December 08, 2011 01:17AM

To me, bickering over the word just detracts from the real substance of the discussion.

Atheist simply means all that is not theist. It could be stated "not theist" so what is wrong with me saying "I am not theist" vs. "I am atheist"?

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 01:20AM

Educating theists on what "a-theist" actually means is an entertaining and uplifting experience that allows the theist to acknowledge that their religious leaders have completely mis-represented what the word actually means, which helps them realize that their religious leaders are liars.

Religious leaders teach their adherents that "atheist" means someone who claims or asserts that no god or gods exist, which is not the case. That's a straw argument. They also sometimes paint atheism as a "humanist religion."

Instead, atheist actually means someone who simply lacks a belief in a god or gods. Period. That is not the same as asserting that no god or gods exist.

These conversations accomplish pretty much the same thing as the Santa Claus discussions. Only instead of a child realizing that their parents lie sometimes, it's actually adults who acknowledge that their religious leaders lie.

That's why I like the term "atheist."

Date: December 08, 2011 01:28AM

Because of the demonetization, many people have a problem with the word atheist. The religious that have demonized the word could do the same to any word we chose.

Godless, ungodly, unholy, blasphemous, sacrilegious, etc. the religious have many words to deride atheists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2011 01:29AM by MJ.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 02:27AM

Mos seem to think that anyone / most everyone who doesn't believe in their version of God is an atheist... because they know 'the Only True God' and others don't.

just sayin'

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 08:45AM

I've never heard that or encountered that belief in all of my years of Mormonism.

Date: December 08, 2011 09:34AM

Most of the mormons I've spoken with try to assert that everyone who believes in any sort of god are actually worshiping Elohim without knowing it.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 11:51AM

Yes. I find that too. I even 'thought' it ... silly me.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 02:36AM

Just say you don't believe in the supernatural. Puts the ball straight into the other guy's court.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 07:50AM

don't really care

sometimes I describe myself as 'atheist', sometimes as 'agnostic atheist'.

I know the derivation of the word, and accept it's linguistic simplicity

most of the time, I *kinda* respect Richard Dawkins, but when he was arguing for the use of the term 'bright' instead of 'atheist', I thought, 'what a twat'

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 08:08AM

As in, "I'm a f#%king atheist. You got a problem with that?"

Okay, you don't need to swear, but the point is to not be apologetic about it, because that's what the theist world wants. They think we should feel ashamed and sorry. Yeah, well, I'm not. And I don't care what they call me. It doesn't change what I disbelieve.

Date: December 08, 2011 08:15AM

Stray Mutt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As in, "I'm a f#%king atheist. You got a problem
> with that?"
>
> Okay, you don't need to swear, but the point is to
> not be apologetic about it, because that's what
> the theist world wants. They think we should feel
> ashamed and sorry. Yeah, well, I'm not. And I
> don't care what they call me. It doesn't change
> what I disbelieve.

Good point. However, I’ve always had a problem with the word atheist because it is inherently defensive. It just describes what I don’t do. I don’t tell people that I’m an a-golfer, an a-footballer, or an a-stamp-collector, even though it’s true. I don’t do any of those things. Similarly atheist doesn’t seem right either. I just wish there was a better word.

Date: December 08, 2011 10:11AM

Humanism is a philosophy that puts the emphasis on humans solving the problems of life without the dogmatic authority of secular or religious institutions.

Humanism is committed to rational thought and responsible behavior that will enhance the quality of life on this earth.
Humanists believe that human beings are part of the natural world with all other forms of life, and that nature is indifferent to our individual existence.

Humanists are convinced that the meaning and purpose of life must be found in living not in dying.

Humanists believe that moral values are neither divinely revealed nor the special property of any religious tradition, that they must be found by humans through the use of their natural reason, and that our beliefs about what is right or wrong in human behavior must be constantly subjected to the deepest reflection in light of our evolving understanding of our nature and the world in which we live.

Humanists have faith in the human capacity to choose good over evil without the expectation of reward in another life.
Humanists encourage moral excellence, positive relationships and human dignity; compassion, cooperation and community.

--Flo Wineriter
President, Humanists of Utah
September 1996

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 11:50AM

hey you use the caps in your name so i did too....
thank goodness too cause i was jonesing!... i even erased an exclamation point too! :)

Date: December 08, 2011 02:23PM

Date: December 08, 2011 08:08AM

Start the conversation by saying you are aZeusist or aSantaClausist. They will likely agree that they too don’t believe in Zeus or Santa. So you start by focusing on what you have in common rather than the differences.

Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 08:48AM

I still laugh every time I hear the word athiest. It reminds me of Steve Martin's "Athiest Don't Have No Songs!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWlqpowKkBY

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 09:03AM

I like non-believer myself.

Susan

Posted by: Dances with Cureloms ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 09:06AM

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 09:53AM

The current word probably works well enough. I admit it does have a negative conotation in society. But that comes from only a small amount of people adhering the the basic belief of atheism and a large number of people believing otherwise and the ensuing pissing match between the groups. Your numbers are small so whatever word you call yourselves the religious people are going to turn it into a negative word.

Be nicer and you'll build more respect for your beliefs. I don't say that to imply you are NOT nice, just be nicER and people won't always have this negative thought in their heads about the group. I don't have any problem at all with the belief in nothing, it is a potentially valid belief system. It's just not what I believe.

Peace.

Date: December 08, 2011 10:04AM

Can you please let us in on what "atheist beliefs" might be? I'm not aware of any. A-theism is lack of belief in any gods.

It's not a claim, an assertion, or a belief.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2011 10:05AM by kolobian.

Date: December 08, 2011 10:13AM

without resorting to the supernatural (fantasies).

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 10:43AM

You believe the earth and universe came about by random occurances only (I'm fine with this, it is a possible explanation, but it is a BELIEF, we don't know for sure how it happened...)

The end.

Date: December 08, 2011 11:04AM

I make no assertions about how the universe "came to be." I have no beliefs at all. I don't believe that the universe came about by random occurences. I also don't believe that the universe was designed by a god who came about by random occurences.

I have no beliefs.

Posted by: mormonimposter ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 10:49AM

I just simply say "I'm not religious".

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 10:51AM

I like the term atheist specifically because it does send a shiver through the masses. It's going to be a shame when it's more accepted. I love being an outlaw.

To be honest though, if someone asks what I am, I prefer the term "person". They can pile on whatever they want after that.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 12:09PM

Interesting, hard hitting topics today. Once again this site helps in my healing process.

I personally cannot proclaim that there is not a god, or that there are no gods. Therefore, I am not an atheist.

I like agnostic. Gnosis is to know. I don't, so I guess I am an agnostic. Should knowledge come, I shall join the gnostic crowd.

Date: December 08, 2011 01:31PM

Atheism is not the assertion that no gods exist. It is simply the lack of belief in any gods.

I have no belief in any gods. I do not assert that no gods exist.

I am an atheist.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 02:46PM

You are technically correct. I should have said I cannot actully say that I don't have a theist position. I'm pretty sure of that a god wouldn't be. However, never having met one, I cannot describe what a god would be like either. Perhaps I should have declared myself to be a not-surist in terms of my theistic position.

Now just for fun, what is all the nit-picking about? sometimes the postings remind me of a statement in "Exodus" by Leon Uri and I paraphrase: If there are two Jews in a argument, there would be at least three opinions represented.

Perhaps haggling over semantics is a valid part of recovery.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 02:49PM

... I don't give a s**t!

Timothy

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: December 08, 2011 02:59PM

sigh...yeah...

on the one hand, i want to stop using that word because that implies that i acknowledge their judeo-christian god's existence but i refuse to believe or lack the belief. and getting into the whole explanation to the other person seems a hassle. not very tasteful.

on the other hand, i think they know what i imply ('non-christian', 'non-krishna', 'non-shiva', 'non-whatever-the-f****') but still...it just tastes funny.

somebody said something i think i'll use from now on: "i don't believe in the supernatural" --i like that.

i heard somebody on a different post saying something like "i don't believe in any gods" -- which also awesome.

ah hell, this is it:

"i don't believe in supernatural entities" -it combines both, catchy phrase peppered with questioning, with a lime-twist of sarcasm. stir and add ice for the indifference touch.

awesome. much better flavor.

thank you all for your inputs. great insights and ideas.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.