Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: November 29, 2011 04:37PM

I just got this email from mormon.org thanking me for creating a profile. I immediately logged on to see if somebody had created one for me. I didn't have one. It was a trick to get me to log into the create profile page.

--------------------------------------
The following message has been sent to you:
Church's Mormon.org Media Initiative and You
Dear Member:

Thank you for creating a mormon.org profile. We appreciate the time you have taken to create a profile and to "let your light so shine before men" (Matthew 5:16). We hope to provide regular updates about the results of the mormon.org media initiative, ideas for being involved in the initiative, and to share success stories.

The Initiative
The mormon.org media initiative has two components. An ongoing Internet and social media campaign and a television and outdoor advertising campaign in selected U.S. cities and Brisbane, Australia. The Internet and social media campaign have generated:
- Millions of first-time visitors to mormon.org
- Tens of millions of page views on the site
- Helped to cause over one million chats the past 12 months on mormon.org

The Internet and social media efforts are ongoing, with some exciting and fun things planned in the months ahead.

For those living in one of the current television markets, the media initiative is also producing exciting results. During the first month:
- New visitors to mormon.org are up 170%
- Page views are up 240%
- Chats are up 25%
- Over 50 news stories have been done about the campaign in the media markets

Ideas
Share Your Mormon.org Profile
Many members are finding it helpful to write the URL (web address) to their profile on the back of mormon.org pass-along cards. (Cards can be order through Distribution Centers, item #09428000.)
- To find your profile's URL, go to mormon.org, select "Our People" then "View Your Profile." Log-in to your LDS Account.
- When your profile appears, simply write down the address as found at the top of your browser. Some members have been creative. For example, some have printed stickers with the URL that are then attached to the back of pass-along cards. Other members have included their profile's URL on their Facebook page and Twitter account. Others have included it as their signature on personal email accounts.

Using Social Media
Many members are finding the use of social media helpful in sharing the media initiative with family and friends. Mormon.org has official pages on Facebook (www.facebook.com/mormon), Twitter (www.twitter.com/mormonorg), and YouTube (www.youtube.com/mormon).
- On Facebook, simply "Like" the mormon.org page. Whenever something new is posted to the Facebook page (several times a week), it will appear in your news feed. You then have the option to "Like" what has been posted and then "Share" it. This will enable all of your friends to also see the mormon.org post.
- On Twitter, "Follow" mormon.org. Whenever we post a new tweet, you will see it in your feed. You can then simply retweet which will enable those following you to see the post.
- On YouTube you can "Subscribe" to the mormon.org page. This will enable you to "Like" the videos (you'll notice that we need more "Likes") and to also subscribe to our page. This will enable you to receive notifications when new portraits are posted and provide a variety of share options.

A Google+ page will be coming soon.

Contact Us
We'd love to hear from you. Please email experiences you are having and ideas for sharing the campaign with others to ideas@mormon.org.

Sincerely,

Media Division
Missionary Department
----------------------------

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: November 29, 2011 04:38PM

Not like a "church".

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 29, 2011 04:41PM

@_@ I haven't gotten an e-mail like that. If so, I'd forward it back and say, "BLEEP you!"

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: November 29, 2011 04:45PM

it came from no-reply@mormon.org

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: November 30, 2011 12:23PM

COWARDS!!!

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 29, 2011 04:54PM

O_M_G !

That gives me the creeps. That just screams "CULT"!

I agree that it is obnoxious of them to assume you have already filled out a profile, as though every other good Mormon has naturally done so, and of course, you are going to be obedient and conforming. AS IF you are going to do all that other internet stuff, too.

The good news is that if their fake statistics are anywhere near the truth--this might generate more online activities, such as seeking the truth, getting their questions answered, being able to have some intelligent dialog, meeting new people with fresh perspectives, being able to express themselves and to vent, and making connections with other websites, such as RFM!

Posted by: Finally Free ( )
Date: November 30, 2011 10:16AM

"Many members are finding it helpful to write the URL (web address) to their profile on the back of mormon.org pass-along cards. (Cards can be ordered through Distribution Centers, item #09428000.)"

I highly doubt that. Most members I know, except a few extreme/nutty ones, wanted to use those pass along cards at all! Not very many people wanted to hand out B of M's with testimonkeys in them, either.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: November 30, 2011 12:29PM

Rather, they hoped to SHAME him into it if he had not done so already.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 30, 2011 12:34PM

How many of those asked "how do magnets work?"

Posted by: Seahorse ( )
Date: November 30, 2011 02:36PM

If you even wanted to expend the effort, I wonder if you could do a profile but make it honest. Tell about why you are not a MOrmon and why people should not convert to Mormonism. That might make them think twice about sending a notice like that to random people.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 30, 2011 02:37PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.