Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: November 28, 2011 12:20PM

But they don't see it. They love to be the peculiar people don't they? And for those who live in the Mordor (is that what its called.... I know its some reference to LoTR) they don't even realize just how weird they are. If they stepped out of their comfort zone they'd realize how small their world view is.

I would never call someone up and ask them to quit talking to a family member for fear of them loosing the "spirit," or tell them to stop blogging about "anti" church things, or tell someone not to be friends with someone else because "if they aren't for Jesus they're against him," or leave a movie because its offensive, or tell someone to watch their language... what gives these people the right to behave this way? And they feel COMPLETELY entitled and justified.

How was everyone else's holiday weekend? =)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: miserable in Utah County ( )
Date: November 28, 2011 12:49PM

They sure do have a lot of guts, don't they? They expect people to change their ways for them. It's just the standard mindset they are raised with. Not only that, but they are the most manner-less folk I have ever seen. I live in Utah County and it feels like one big daycare center when I walk in the stores, people couldn't give a shit less where their kids are. Sorry to get off topic, I seriously cannot stand Mormons.

My holiday was great, my TBM sister wasn't there so we had a wonderful time without her priesthood holding nerd of a husband preaching to us.

Posted by: allwhowander ( )
Date: November 28, 2011 12:59PM

My holiday weekend was nice. Dinner with my family and some friends. Its next weekend I am worried about. Another thanksgiving meal with the extended family- TBMs and conspiracy nuts.

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: November 28, 2011 01:12PM

I agree that mormons are weird but I disagree that they love to be the peculiar people. That may have been true back in the day, but TSCC is going out of its way to show the world how much they're just like everyone else. The "I'm a Mormon" PR campaign is a perfect example.

I think the "strange and peculiar" thing started to backfire on them as far as attracting new converts and keeping them. Anything that results in less money coming in will cause SLC to make changes.

Posted by: Utah Misery ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 07:53PM

I teach in a area of Salt Lake that is mostly Mormon. The kids in my class are in such a bubble they don't know anything but their Mormon culture. I find it sad. One kid said, "People can be bad in this world except for Mormons." I wanted to gag. I am stuck in Utah for various reasons and it can be painful. Mormons are weird. Get me out of here!

Posted by: TheIrrationalShark ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 09:04PM

I also live in a highly Mormon area of the Salt Lake Valley. My High School is chuck full of them, so their culture is the "norm," while the non-Mormons are kind of left in the dust. I've gotten some strange looks from people who've found out I'm Atheist.

I've heard some strange things from them. "Return missionaries are so hot..." Seriously, lol? You're attracted to men who wasted two years of their life trying to keep this sinking ship afloat?

"Is that a Nephi choice, or a Laman and Lemuel choice?"

Is this the mormon version of "what would Jesus do?"

Also, a girl (I think she's a T.A. or something) in my class told everyone in the class that we should serve missions!

I've also heard some incredibly ignorant and stupid things about evolution. I feel sorry for my biology teacher. I can only begin to imagine the retarded responses he gets about evolution.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 07:57PM

Mormons are distincly insular and culturally backward and childlike to be sure!

I just wanted to mention that people call Idaho and Utah the Mormon Corridor, thus the Morridor.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 08:08PM

In the mean time "fourteen million" people around the world are stunned into silence. They have no idea what to do with the cookies they just baked. They sit and stare at a bookcase full of religious fiction. The phone has stopped ringing. Tomorrow is Sunday, what will they do? Their underwear suddenly seems silly and embarrassing. Suddenly, nobody seems worth gossiping about. The realization that they have been lifelong victims of a scam is starting to set in.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 09:18PM

And what do they do with those portraits of strange men on their living walls?

Posted by: drjekyll ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 09:29PM

that in their "eternal perspective" they actually believe that it is the non-Mormons who are the weird, less-valiant people who God assigned to non-BIC-dom.

In their minds they are actually the super normal ones on God's super-normalizing spiritual steroids... everyone else is a deviant!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.