Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wonderer ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 02:11PM

I was still TBM when my sister's family hit on some severe economic difficulties, many years ago. With reservations (they are proud, self-sufficient people), they went to the bishop for assistance. They didn't know what else to do, and figured that in extreme circumstances the church would be there to help. After all, isnt that what tithing and fast offerings are for, to aid the needy and take care of the flock?

They were basically told to go back to their families for help. I think in the end they were given some Deseret Industries food and maybe a couple months of rent assistance, but it was way less than they or I considered that the church would be able to help with, given that it is a multi billion dollar company.

What I wonder is, out of all the billions of dollars the church takes in, where does it go? Only a teesny wee little bit is used to help people.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wonderer ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 02:15PM

of course, i do understand that the church is not a welfare center, and that if they didn't draw the line somewhere then people would be lining up for handouts and abusing the system, but having said that, it seems to me that the amount of aid they give out relative to their income too little.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 02:45PM

Back in the early days of the church, tithes were usually paid in farm goods and then redistributed to those in need. But the church ran up a huge debt building the SLC temple and the banks needed to be repaid. Snow's "Windows of Heaven" speech marked the change from goods-based tithing to cash-based tithing -- cash with which the church could pay its debts and then build the kingdom. The majority of modern tithes go to operating the church.

Posted by: freegirl10 ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 02:50PM

Tithing money goes to building temples, fast offerings go to helping families. Temples Shmemples

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 02:56PM

Great and Spacious temples, advertisements, investments, and General Authorities' "living stipends."

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 03:30PM

Malls, failed insurance companies and a flat-out shitty newspaper. Does the morg still own the Hotel Utah, right across from the temple? I used to drink in there back in the day when in town on business.

Ron

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.