Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rambo ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 12:35AM

Have you seen these Heavens Gate Exit videos. They freak the hell out of me and remind me of mormon tesitmonies.

This one reminded me of converts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz4yjc-XyfA&feature=related

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 02:30AM

Cults are amazingly the same. They are all products of an egotistical psychopathic leader and the naive people who follow them.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 09:12AM

It was spoken just like a Mormon testimony, even with similar voice inflections. Did you notice after saying again and again that he was doing it of his own will and choice that he misspoke and said "so we have no choice about it."

Then he said that this world has become a very hideous place and you have no choices from the cradle to the grave. He felt that this world is an unbearable place to live in. It's like Heaven's Gate was a suicide pact of people who couldn't live in the real world, and perhaps the doctrine of the cult wasn't even important, only the end result.

Even so, they were concerned with their image enough to produce a video in a peaceful wooded area with birds chirping in the background. What is it with cults that retreat from the world but are so concerned with how they're viewed by it?

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 10:09AM

Oh man... They look and sound JUST LIKE MORMONS!!!

That's truly terrifying.

You know, 2 young missionaries came to our house about 6 months back, before I left the church. my husband (a beer drinker) asked them the following question:

"If someone held up a bottle of vodka to your mouth, and said 'drink this or die'-- would you drink it?"

Both of them instantly shook their heads no, and said "No I wouldn't." Without so much as a blink.

Come on, alcohol is NOT worth dying over. Its really not. Its clear that they are really brainwashed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2010 10:10AM by melissa3839.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 10:26AM

They know beyond a shadow of doubt that what they've been taught is real and correct and what they are about to do is the correct path. It's kind of eerie - in a way it would seem perfectly normal, if you didn't know that what they were talking about is their suicide.

I could also observe these same calm feelings of certainty watching a seminar speaker at a Tea Party gathering addressing the topic that a certain U.S. President was definitely not born in the U.S. If you didn't know the background it, would all appear as quite normal.

Posted by: rambo ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 10:56AM

I am glad I am not the only one that sees how close these things are to mormon testimonies.

I have been posting some of these on facebook where I have about 300 TBM friends I wonder if they will see the similiar use of words and phrases.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.