Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 08:15AM

The church tries to scare the young women. The Young Women's manual uses Spencer W. Kimball's story to make them afraid.

http://lds.org/manual/young-women-manual-2/lesson-15-temple-marriage?lang=eng

President Spencer W. Kimball told the following true story:

“A few years ago a young couple who lived in northern Utah came to Salt Lake City for their marriage. They did not want to bother with a temple marriage, or perhaps they did not feel worthy. At any rate, they had a civil marriage. After the marriage they got into their automobile and drove north to their home for a wedding reception. On their way home they had an accident, and when the wreckage was cleared, there was a dead man and a dead young woman. They had been married only an hour or two. Their marriage was ended. They thought they loved each other. They wanted to live together forever, but they did not live the commandments that would make that possible. So death came in and closed that career. They may have been good young people; I don’t know. But they will be angels in heaven if they are. They will not be gods and goddesses and priests and priestesses because they did not fulfill the commandments and do the things that were required at their hands.

“Sometimes we have people who say, ‘Oh, someday I will go to the temple. But I am not quite ready yet. And if I die, somebody can do the work for me in the temple.’ And that should be made very clear to all of us. The temples are for the living and for the dead only when the work could not have been done. Do you think that the Lord will be mocked and give to this young couple who ignored him, give them the blessings? The Lord said, ‘For all contracts that are not made unto this end have an end when men are dead.’ (D&C 132:7)” (in Conference Report, Japan Area Conference 1975, pp. 61–62).

Mormon children are taught to follow the prophet. Should they follow Kimball? He got married in a regular wedding, then waited seven months before he went to the temple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spencer_W._Kimball

"they married civilly on November 16, 1917 in Pima, Arizona. Seven months later, on June 7, 1918, the couple were sealed in a marriage ceremony in the Salt Lake Temple."

There is quite a lesson to be learned here. The young women might throw away their chance of being goddesses but Kimball did it and became a prophet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sigh ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 08:38AM

This is another fine example of the past and present leadership using emotion to promote obedience and conformity. Mental and spiritual coersion on any level is not becoming of anyone, prophet or not, who is "chosen" to prophesy and lead any congregation, church body, or auxilliary group.

SWK cannot determine what the eternal fate of that couple would be, right? I thought that job was reserved for deity only. Was he mocking God when he quoted D&C 132:7? Using untrue teaching subtleties that define or determine eternal consequences seems to be a constant in the approach of these manuals. It's just wrong. The fact that this lesson appears today on lds.org is very telling of the authoritative leadership that continues to this day. God is not the proprietor of fear. A prophet cannot be either.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 08:55AM

What a steaming pile that story of Kimball's is. The whole YW lesson is so manipulative it makes me cringe.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 08:59AM

Spencer Wooley Kimball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But they will be angels in heaven if they
> are. They will not be gods and goddesses and
> priests and priestesses because they did not
> fulfill the commandments and do the things that
> were required at their hands.

"Spence, I don't know that we teach that."
-Gordo

Posted by: 2thdoc ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 09:08AM

If only that couple had been fortunate enough to have NEVER BEEN MORMON...then they could have had their temple sealing performed for them vicariously after their deaths and everything would have been just hunky-dory. Makes No Sense! The only people punished eternally are imperfect Mormons; everyone else gets a free ticket, "through genealogy and temple work." Why can't my TBM DW see the nonsense of this stupid, illogical doctrine? Sigh.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 09:16AM

I would have respected SWK more if he had used himself as an example and admitted he and Camilla made a mistake. Remember the immortal words of Packer..."not all truth is useful".

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 09:23AM

Why don't they tell the story about a couple that got married in the temple, despite the fact that they had only known each other for a few weeks? They got in their car, were killed in a crash, and were forced to spend eternity with a stranger who turned out to be the embodiment of hell.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 10:44AM

But that doesn't paint the perfect picture for TSCC.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 10:51AM

I remember hearing a version of this story back in the 70's from my first Mormon friend. I should have recognized it for the fear mongering that it was.

My friend and I later toured Temple Square together. I remember a volunteer in the visitor's center asking me, didn't I wish to be married for eternity one day? I gave some polite response, but inside I was thinking that I wasn't sure that I wanted to be married at all (I was also unconviced that the Mormons could make good on that promise, or that it was even an appropriate promise to make in the first place.) I always knew that I wasn't a good fit for the church in a number of ways. But back then the church was promoting the shiny, happy family image, and it was very appealing. And in the pre-internet days, there was not a lot of widely accessible information to counter it.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 11:22AM

SWK was really a piece of work. If the young couple were married and loved each other, there is no loving God that is going to separate them.

The end.

Besides, if you are Mormon, you can just "do the work for them"...

Posted by: Craig ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 12:03PM

Yeah or you could have an experience like a friend of mine. His wife married a young man in the temple and they were married for about a year. The young man died unexpectedly, of what I do not remember. A couple of years later she met my friend and they fell in love and were married, civilly of course.

Fast forward to now, almost 30 years later. They have been married all this time, have 5 children together, but the church in all its wisdom refuses to give her a temple divorce from a man she knew for a little over one year so that she can marry the man she loves, has 5 children with, and has been with for almost 30 years. Instead she will be forced by the mormon gawd to live with a man she hardly knows while the man she spent her life with and had all her children with marries some other woman. And since the church says the children will follow the priesthood if he remains "worthy" she will not have her children with her either. What a wonderful promise and eternity to look forward for her.

Oh yes, they are very active in spite of the fact that the church they are devoted to refuses to let them have that ultimate goal of a temple marriage. What a fu**ing joke!!!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 12:38PM

They did this to me too. It was what really got the ball rolling for DH and kids to get out of that hell hole.

According to the mo's my children are sealed to this total stranger that i basically went on a long date with. That is just plain stupid. The only way my husband can be sealed to someone is if we get divorced,or i die. Then he still can't be sealed to me personally. My advice to all mormon girls is NEVER marry in the temple. They will use it against you and the people you love somewhere down the road.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 01:08PM

The same thing happened to me, and my temple husband was a wife-beater, and he had beaten his sister too, but no one had told me that. For many years, I tried to get the marriage annulled, or a cancellation of sealing, and the years went by, and the rules changed for some others, but never for me. When the church "authorities" told me that my children, born 4 years after my civil divorce, to my second husband, were in reality sealed to my first husband as his possessions, I exploded. When we resigned, I told them that my temple marriage is now null and void, and that my children were not sealed to my temple husband.

"Do you think that the Lord will be mocked and give to this young couple who ignored him, give them the blessings? The Lord said, ‘For all contracts that are not made unto this end have an end when men are dead.’ (D&C 132:7)”

I resent the way the Mormons put words into God's mouth. It is blasphemy! What loving God would say this?

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 12:11PM

This is among the many reasons why I cringe since my DD will be starting YW next spring. I've already told her that if there is lesson going on which makes her uncomfortable or she doesn't like it, she can call and I will be more than happy to pick her up.

I'm also intending to ask the YW president (she is a nice woman) to hand me a lesson schedule so DD and I can look at it online and I can prepare her for the upcoming BS she'll be hearing.

My TBM DH and I do let the kids decide if they want to go to the Wednesday youth activities or not and repsect their decision if they want to go or not.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 12:29PM

Mitt Romney & his wife were civily married in Michigan - (3/'69, Wiki). the NEXT DAY they flew to SLC & got sealed.

Priceless!

Date: November 15, 2011 12:41PM

just goes to show.

favoritism for the rich and famous. Just like any other corporation.

Posted by: dclarkfan1 ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 12:32PM

That's a tragic accident. But you don't use accidents like this to further the goals of TSCC.

That's not only cruel, it's downright stupid.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 02:42PM

Why the hell did they have to go to SLC for a civil marriage to begin with???????????

Posted by: kmackie ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 04:47PM

The last time I was in the temple I came across a young woman who was 22 years old,she was distressed and weeping,I spent some time with her,her story horrified me and was one of the episodes that put me on the path of investigating the church.

This beautiful young woman had been sealed in the temple 8 months previously to her RM,he died in an accident 4 months into the marriage,she was glad they had been sealed,however the thing that distressed her was the fact that she felt she had to spend the rest of her life with no husband or children,as she was sealed to this guy she was convinced no other worthy p holder would marry her,as she could only be sealed to one man,she felt that all the young TBM males would want a woman they could be sealed too,what a cult,to leave this beautiful young woman with no hope for the future in this life,just a promise of what she believed in after death.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 05:09PM

The church could easily solve this "problem" by allowing women to be sealed to more than one man. But that would smack of equality between the sexes, and we can't have that, now can we? *sigh*

Posted by: WickedTwin ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 06:44PM

Is currently in this predicament, her husband of 4 years having died unexpectedly. My heart bleeds for her, because in her über-TBM mindset, she is damaged goods. I feel horrIble for her that she feels this way at such a young age. It's terrible.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 05:16PM

"They will not be gods and goddesses and priests and priestesses "

OH I"M SORRY! I thought we did not teach that!

BS!

Date: November 15, 2011 05:26PM

They never tell that side of the story. If those young girls really understood how the system is stacked against them, maybe they wouldn't be in such a big hurry to get married.

Posted by: andyb ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 06:01PM

I married a wonderful Catholic girl 38 years ago and I would not have subjected her to the standard brainwashing from the "Mission Mormonaries"...and then a temple wedding minus ALL our friends...NO FUCKING WAY!!!

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 06:10PM

Is there any information on if they were sealed after they died? I bet they were which would make the whole getting sealed in the temple while alive pointless.

Date: November 15, 2011 06:15PM

Spencer W. Kimball was obstinate about no temple work for members who died.

"Remember, the temples of God are not for the vicarious temple ordinances for those who have known the gospel"

http://speeches.byu.edu/reader/reader.php?id=6056

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 06:54PM

All those sealings I did for dead ancestors was just a waste of time I guess. What an idiotic religion !!!

Date: November 15, 2011 07:04PM

But you saved your ancestors who never knew about Mormons. The game they play is that those temple things for dead people won't work for Mormons. It is too late for Mormons once they are dead.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 07:00PM

Marriage is dangerous.

It can kill you.

Kimball's lesson.

Date: November 15, 2011 09:58PM

Found this one about Mitt Romney

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,117503,120921#msg-120921

http://marriage.about.com/od/politics/p/mittromney.htm

"Mitt and Ann were married on March 21, 1969 when Mitt was 22 and Ann was 19. The first part of their wedding took place in Ann's parents' home in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan in a civil ceremony officiated by church Elder Edwin Jones. Ann wore a full length white wedding dress with a long train.
The next morning Mitt and Ann flew to Salt Lake City and were "sealed" for eternity in the Mormon Temple."

And this about the person who did the civil marriage.

http://lds.org/ensign/1988/09/news-of-the-church/appointments?lang=eng&query=edwin+b.+jones
Jones became temple president for Chicago in 1988

"Edwin B. Jones, of Hooper, Utah, has been called to preside over the Chicago Temple. His wife, Mildred Salisbury Jones, will serve as matron. A retired corporation president, President Jones has served as a regional representative, as a counselor in a stake presidency, and as a bishop. Sister Jones has served as a missionary, a Primary president, and a Relief Society officer and teacher."

The one-year wait for sheeple seemed to take doctrinal importance when Spencer W. Kimball became prophet. Why do they still put the fear into young women? Hypocrites.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.