Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 07:10PM

This news is a week old, but sheesh. At least he outed himself for a good reason.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/10/29/Megachurch_Pastor_Jim_Swilley_Comes_Out/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2010 07:12PM by Stray Mutt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 07:50PM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 07:57PM

I saw that story too. Sheesh. All that time preaching about the evils of homosexuality knowing full well he was one himself. How did he look himself in the mirror?

The bigger question is why oh why can't people quit feeding these con men?

Date: November 14, 2010 08:02PM

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 08:08PM

Now a "Bishop somebody?" Seemed like he was still a pastor and supportive of gay rights.

Date: November 14, 2010 10:27PM

I'm not following.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 10:28PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw that story too. Sheesh. All that time
> preaching about the evils of homosexuality knowing
> full well he was one himself. How did he look
> himself in the mirror?
>

I haven't seen anything that states he has preached against homosexuality. I am the first to say that preaching against homosexuality has been the norm in Christian churches for a long time, but even I will admit that not all preachers have preached against homosexuality.

Do you have a link that shows that he has preached against homosexuality in the past?

Date: November 14, 2010 11:04PM

http://www.npr.org/2010/11/14/131312723/out-of-the-closet-in-the-pulpit-of-a-megachurch

He says he never preached against homosexuality, but a mega church in Georgia sure as hell is not going to be preaching gay equality.

He did preach about conventional marriages and lied about his. He still married a woman (apparently 2 of them)- what did he think that would do to them? (We can work it out...yeah, right.)

His closet life supposedly became uncomfortable in light of the wave of gay teen suicides. He comes from a line of evangelical preachers. I'm guessing he knows full well the role Christianity has played in the shame and death of those teens.

Kudos to him though if he actually preaches that gays deserve rights and legal marriages in his sermons. We'll see if he becomes an advocate for homosexuality. That would be the right thing for him to do, IMO.

Date: November 14, 2010 11:08PM

He was honest with at least his second wife and she still decided to get married. Neither of them seem to have any residual issue with this, so why should you?

He was married to the woman, now what was the lie?

Date: November 14, 2010 11:41PM

I personally think it is damaging to the woman sexually to be married to a gay man. I think it is not cool to encourage gay people to enter into conventional marriages- I think it is better to tell people to marry the gender they are actually attracted to. I only say this because I've met enough women now who always thought something was wrong with them sexually because their husband was gay.

Also if you noticed he is divorced from the 2nd wife too. I hope the 21 years married to him was good for her because 21 years is a long time to go without real sex. Who knows, maybe she isn't into sex or had flings or is gay herself.

Here's the next question I have for him: Did he miss the zillions of places in the Bible that condemn divorce?

I'm just sayin'....

Date: November 14, 2010 11:53PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I personally think it is damaging to the woman
> sexually to be married to a gay man.

Still, it is her choice. Lots of people think it is damaging for two men to marry, I think they are wrong and it should be my choice. Who a person marries is THAT PERSON'S decision and should not hang on if YOU or any other person not involved (and by involved I mean one of the two getting married) think it damaging.

> I think it is
> not cool to encourage gay people to enter into
> conventional marriages- I think it is better to
> tell people to marry the gender they are actually
> attracted to. I only say this because I've met
> enough women now who always thought something was
> wrong with them sexually because their husband was
> gay.

Where has he encouraged gay people to do what he did?

>
> Also if you noticed he is divorced from the 2nd
> wife too. I hope the 21 years married to him was
> good for her because 21 years is a long time to go
> without real sex. Who knows, maybe she isn't into
> sex or had flings or is gay herself.
>

Lots of heterosexual people get divorced as well, your point?

> Here's the next question I have for him: Did he
> miss the zillions of places in the Bible that
> condemn divorce?
>
> I'm just sayin'....

Have you actually watched any of his videos and how he addresses the scriptural questions? I think not, because if you have you would not need to ask that question.

Yeup, you are stretching.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 10:07PM

Is it really about sex that much? or more likely just having to rape people in every way possible after so long for these scam artist parasites

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 10:27PM

This has gone beyond mere coincidence. The more vocal they speak out against homosexuality the more likely they engage in homosexuality. I just don't get it.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: November 14, 2010 10:38PM

complex situation. He says he has not been derogatory toward gays as a pastor. I haven't heard his sermons, but I would expect to see evidence of them by now if it were not true.

Seems like a decent man.

Here is another interview link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyU5wL9z4PA

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 01:04AM

I can't speak for all women who married someone gay, but I have no regrets NOW. I did for a while. It is what it is. I would have been very angry if someone had told me I couldn't choose.

I do have a problem with those who don't tell their future wives. I knew. Doesn't mean I understood. I don't think he even understood completely. You live and learn.

Like MJ said, it sounds like his ex doesn't have any issues with it--and she is the one that counts.

My hope is that there are fewer and fewer of these situations.

I think he sounds a lot different than people like Ted Haggart (or whatever his name was).

I do have to say that being married to someone gay can be very damaging to your sense of being a woman actually. I don't think it damaged me sexually, but then I knew the situation. I used to be angry at him for telling me beforehand until I talked to women who didn't know. BUT there isn't anything wrong with me sexually after being married to someone gay. Just ask my boyfriend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2010 01:06AM by cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.